It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 11:57

Text Size

Anyone got the online part working?

Downloads, Guides , General Support
PLEASE "SEARCH" BEFORE YOU POST!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Anyone got the online part working?

Postby kcua_626 » 10 Apr 2009, 09:59

Hi, first of all thank you very much for keeping this game alive. It is truly one of my favorite games of all time. I finally got hooked again to this game and had just recently installed the game from the link in this forum. I also installed the latest cards expansion together with all the card arts and I am truly truly impressed with all the work done by the developers to this game.

I recently got a friend hooked to it too and we have been trying to make the playing online part working. Has anyone got it to work? Everytime I connect Manalink using Internet(TCP/IP) I get an error E009 saying that Manalink cannot create Directplay session in that service provider. I have already tried disabling my Firewall but still nothing. I'm using Windows XP with Manalink201 patch that comes from this forum. Any help will really be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kevin
kcua_626

Re: Anyone got the online part working?

Postby Bog Wraith » 10 Apr 2009, 14:23

This is an area where no one seems to have any answers, at least none that I am aware of.
I have tried numerous times using my LAN to establish a connection, but it just doesn't work.

We'll keep our eyes and ears open to anything that might come along to help us out with this because it would be great if we could get this to work!
'Twas in the bogs of Cannelbrae
My mate did meet an early grave
'Twas nothing left for us to save
In the peat-filled bogs of Cannelbrae.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby kcua_626 » 10 Apr 2009, 14:52

It would definitely be cool to have the online part working as Manalink has the most user friendly interface of all the MTG softwares out there IMHO. The only tutorial I can find is from this link

http://shalandar.com/installation.html

It's a tutorial for the unofficial 1.32 patch though.
kcua_626

Postby Biomechanoid » 11 May 2009, 20:32

Hi, i think i can help to put the online part of this game to work, because it's work very well in my computer, i test a LAN Connection (Cable connection, not wireless , because i have problems with stability in my wireless, and sometimes i lost conection with the host, and the program freezes in the middle of the duel, but the thing works anyway) with 2 computers (notebooks), one with Windows Vista and another with Windows Xp (i think the thing works with 2 VISTA's or 2 XP's). Sry for my bad English, i hope i can help anyway. Almost forget to mention i use Manalink 2.0 (patch manalink201.rar)

1 - Execute "magic.exe", from your installation folder, now you see the top menu from the game and a small square in right of the screen with the words "NONET",(if you don't see that small square, you need to Add information to registry, execute "magic.reg", and try again with "magic.exe", and the small square pop up now, i remember when i copy the entire installation folder to the second computer and need to add information to the registry for the small square with "NONET" to popup) right click on that, and choose "Preferences" - "Options" a new small window popup, disable "Use Autoconnect", and click "apply"

2 - Double Click the small square "NONET" or right click and choose "open", a new window pop up with 3 connection type, choose "internet (TCP/IP)" , and click "connect", a new window pop up, and choose "host", now u see a window with "player Name", "status", and "rank", you can close this window if you want (don't Disconnect), and you see the small square with the word "NET" now.
We are done with the first computer.

3 - For the second computer, copy the entire installation folder, from first computer, or install a new one, with manalink 2.0.
Execute "Magic.reg" to add information to the registry (you don't need to do this if you do a fresh install of the game).
Execute "Magic.exe", double click in the small square "NONET", choose "internet (TCP/IP)" , and click "connect", a new window pop up, and choose "JOIN" a new window pop up and ask for IP Adress from host system, leave it blank (don't insert anything) and press "OK", now you see the window with Player Name, "Status" and "Rank", but now (if everything is right) you will see the two players in the lobby.

4 - Now you choose the other player (click in his name) and press "invite", if he acept, go for duel and if everything is right you will see a new registered opponent, u can duel your opponent now.

Ps - That´s all, sry for my bad english, if you have questions or things u don't understand, post it here, i will try to help

Ps2 - I don't test this to play over internet, but a half year ago when i found this game, with manalink 1.32, i sucessfull manage to play with a friend over internet, (not LAN COnnection), and the steps are the same, Example - I host a Game, my friend join the game and when the program asks for Host IP Adress, he enter my ip, and the thing works well, after some time in the lobby, a third person enter in the lobby, i was scared because i don't give him my IP, and shut the thing down. Now i think we don't need to enter the Host IP ADress to play it over internet, but i don't have a friend with this game to test this with manalink 2.0 but i think the thing works because the lan connection works very well.

ps3 - if someone manage to put this thing to work and test over the internet, (i don't have internet in my home for now) i like to be there, to play with you guys.
Biomechanoid

Postby GoSuAwZ » 12 May 2009, 15:11

Biomechanoid wrote:text
dude, that sounds awesome, do you have the original discs?

my shit juz says it cant open a directplay session oO
GoSuAwZ

Postby Biomechanoid » 12 May 2009, 20:07

GoSuAwZ wrote:
Biomechanoid wrote:text
dude, that sounds awesome, do you have the original discs?,
My version is from this site posted by Bog Wraith "MAGIC: THE GATHERING "Duels of the Planeswalkers"
by MicroProse (Abandonware)
Version 3.0, 14 January 1998

my shit juz says it cant open a directplay session oO
You try this pls,

(1 - Execute "magic.exe", from your installation folder, now you see the top menu from the game and a small square in right of the screen with the words "NONET" right click on that, and choose "Preferences" - "Options" a new small window popup, disable "Use Autoconnect", and click "apply")

You need to disable "Use Autoconect", i think is the thing why you have that error. and follow the steps in my previous post
Sry my english sucks, but if someone understand what i mean. pls write and explain this step better
Biomechanoid

Postby gmzombie » 12 May 2009, 23:35

also remember you must have the same version of the game otherwise it will not work. one person has to host and the other join by ip address. very crucial that you have the same updates.,
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Postby GoSuAwZ » 13 May 2009, 14:53

wow it freakin works dawg, on the real

anybody want to play sum vintage? :DDD

EDIT: i take some of it back
when i try to host it goes fine untill a friend tried to join (with the exact same version ofc) he says after he tries to join my ip it tells him the bs about directplay session and same when he leavs it blank. so i tried to join and leave it blank...same shit blabla directplay session
GoSuAwZ

Postby jatill » 13 May 2009, 15:25

GoSuAwZ wrote:wow it freakin works dawg, on the real

when i try to host it goes fine untill a friend tried to join (with the exact same version ofc) he says after he tries to join my ip it tells him the bs about directplay session and same when he leavs it blank. so i tried to join and leave it blank...same shit blabla directplay session
Did you disable auto-connect? Anyway, if you're look for another computer to test against, we can try. PM me your ip, and a time you want to try.
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby Biomechanoid » 13 May 2009, 15:47

GoSuAwZ wrote:wow it freakin works dawg, on the real

Like i said before, i manage to establish a LAN Conection, with two Notebooks, and works fine, without IP when the other computer joins.
I will try put this thing to work in the next hour over the internet, i will post the results here in next few hours.

P.S. One question, you guys disable Firewall, or give permissions to "Magic.exe", and "Manalink.exe" ? if you don't do that, the thing don't work.
Anyway, i will try this.
See you soon
Biomechanoid

Postby GoSuAwZ » 13 May 2009, 16:13

i've installed the ipx protocol but that shit wont work either(mby need to reboot?)

ye i dont have any fw or any shit like that

i have however installed MTG from a file downloaded at thepiratebay; http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3250282 ... Expansions
i dont know if there's anything missing in this oO?

im very thankful for the help i've gotten!
GoSuAwZ

Postby Biomechanoid » 13 May 2009, 18:16

I try play over the Internet with a friend, and the thing don't work :( (i'm behind a router, and my friend to, maybe the router is the problem)
For now, i only play with him in my home in a LAN Session with manalink 2.0 and the new decks :)
I will try later, with Manalink 1.32, if the thing works. Like i said before, i manage to succesfull play over internet in that version.

Sry for the inconvenience
Later
Biomechanoid

Postby gmzombie » 14 May 2009, 00:52

when i get back from the gym i will try this out over my lan between my 2 comps and see what it does...it should link up no problem i used to play online before but havent done that in a while now
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Postby 0rion79 » 24 May 2009, 15:22

Hello, I have had problem too, just today.

I was with a dear friend of mine a couple of hour ago and we have tried to play using a wireless connection. On a local net (using TCP/IP connection on the emerald) my desktop could see my notebook and obtaining connection among emeralds has been fast and easy.

Instead, we have had a much greater pain to start the duel, because each time we tried to send duel parameters, the sending player's game had an unexpected quit to desktop or a failure of sending duel parameters. After many tries (sending the invite and parameters from notebook to desktop proved to be more effective) we have managed to play the game and it was fine, except that, after few rounds, my friend played a lightning bolt on one of my creatures and my game has made a quit to dekstop with an error message that I have not been able to see.

Note that we are using esactly the same version of Magic the Gathering, because I have cloned on my notebook the same version that I have on my desktop PC. Can you help??
0rion79

Postby pec » 03 Jun 2009, 20:36

I have no troubles connecting to the other player, but just cant play more than one or two cards. Sometimes due to some insane coincidence, we play a turn or 2, but then will crash (regular old magic.exe has crashed error) or both players say "waiting for other player" during the match even after their opponent had hit "done". I guess this doesnt really help but thought i'd volunteer my adventures with 2 player over lan.
pec

Next

Return to Installation and Troubleshooting