It is currently 05 Jun 2024, 01:34

Text Size

Need some help

Downloads, Guides , General Support
PLEASE "SEARCH" BEFORE YOU POST!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Need some help

Postby byoungb » 15 Apr 2009, 16:59

I'm having a bit of a problem with the latest updates. I'm currently running on Vista and while everything works correctly, it tends to crash on me a lot. So I tried running it on Windows98 through VirtualPC 2007, but get the following error after patching and trying to start: "The MANALINKEH.DLL file cannot start. Check the file to determine the problem." Is there a step I missed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note, the job you all have done here is simply amazing. I've been playing this game for years and never imagined I would ever see new cards. Kudos to everyone involved in this effort. =D>
byoungb

Re: Need some help

Postby Tower_Mazer » 16 Apr 2009, 13:04

I'm not trying to be Mr. obvious but, did you make sure the manalinkEH.dll is the magic\program dir? If it's not you should have a copy in you SRC folder (which is in the magic\program dir. If you do have it then it must be the wrong version of it. Make sure you followed the install directions from here. I just installed one yesterday on a vista. DotP Cd install patch up to 2.01 and then I grabbed Jatill's newest update, extracted it into the magic\program dir and bam no problems.
Tower_Mazer

Postby byoungb » 18 Apr 2009, 04:06

To clarify, it works fine for me on Vista, I only have this problem while running Windows98 through VirtualPC. I did check that all the files were in the correct location, but didn't see anything missing. Thanks for the help anyways.
byoungb

Postby CirothUngol » 16 May 2009, 00:42

I too am having this same issue. I'm trying to load the UnderDogs Install on an actual PII 266 Mhz PC running Win98SE, and have received the same error. The install was Underdogs -> Manalink 2.01 -> CardArtNew -> jatil 5/13/09 update -> CardArtUpdate. The same setup is working flawlessly on my WinXP SP3 box and I couldn't be happier! The original Microprose MtG Manalink 1.32 has run on my little PII 266 box for years and years, I was just hoping I could run these new updates on older Win98 systems also.

-- Off Topic --
I've played MtG (on and off) since before Arabian Knights, and was thoroughly addicted for the first 5-6 years (time and money-wise) and I purchased the original Microprose MtG when it came out. I've literally been playing this game on a near daily basis for well over 10 years now, and only last week did I think to Google for an update. Not only had the Manalink version gone from 1.32 to 2.0, with the inclusion of tons of new cards and mechanics (bestill my heart), but I find this wonderful forum where a small team of coders have be able to open up even more of the program... along with wondorous possibilities. I'm sure you've heard this all before, but Dude... YOU GUYS ARE HEROES! I've always felt the Microprose software to have a good, comfortable GUI and so far, the updates work seemlessly. This is now my daily go-to spot were I look for updates, I'm totally stoked about how much has been done. Even if development ceased tomorrow, there is already enough to keep me happy for another 10 years!
Congrats and Endless Gratitude to all Coders, Scanners, Testers, Mods, Artists, Hackers, Thinkers and Doers... I am forever indebted to you.
-- End Gush --
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
Magic: The Gathering Abandonware
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby Huggybaby » 16 May 2009, 02:09

Thank you CirothUngol, and welcome to the CCGHQ forum, there's nothing else like it.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby SEE » 29 May 2009, 17:40

Identical error, VirtualPC 2007 and Windows 98SE, jatil 2009/05/22 update.
SEE

Postby SEE » 07 Jun 2009, 05:50

Problem persists, 2009/06/02.
SEE

Postby scythe000 » 08 Jun 2009, 07:49

Tower_Mazer wrote:I'm not trying to be Mr. obvious but, did you make sure the manalinkEH.dll is the magic\program dir? If it's not you should have a copy in you SRC folder (which is in the magic\program dir. If you do have it then it must be the wrong version of it. Make sure you followed the install directions from here. I just installed one yesterday on a vista. DotP Cd install patch up to 2.01 and then I grabbed Jatill's newest update, extracted it into the magic\program dir and bam no problems.
Has anybody who's having this problem looked at what Tower_Mazer said? Or tried reinstalling?
scythe000

Postby CirothUngol » 08 Jun 2009, 13:20

Yea, sure. This happens only on Win98... and it happens on both Real and Virtual installs of Win98. Is anyone running the newer releases on Win98? If so, did you run into this problem?
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
Magic: The Gathering Abandonware
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby Huggybaby » 08 Jun 2009, 15:13

You guys could use Windows 95 instead of 98, has anyone tried it?
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby SEE » 08 Jun 2009, 21:59

scythe000 wrote:Has anybody who's having this problem looked at what Tower_Mazer said? Or tried reinstalling?
Yes. And yes, several times. In both cases, before I posted in the first place, and before I posted my follow-up on the 2009/06/02 version.
SEE

Return to Installation and Troubleshooting