It is currently 04 Jun 2024, 16:05

Text Size

Question about Gauntlet mode

Downloads, Guides , General Support
PLEASE "SEARCH" BEFORE YOU POST!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Question about Gauntlet mode

Postby Zeek » 28 May 2009, 22:37

I know I can't use all these new cards in the Shandalar game, so I've been using the Gauntlet to play multiple opponents without having to return to the selection screen. One thing I noticed is that sometimes the game will end early when the computer throws in the towel, realizing that it's tapped out and has no answer to *insert lethal combat attack here*. Now while I don't mind not having to tell it I don't want to activate any fast effects or sometimes even declaring a combat, why does it end the game early the other way? Twice I've had the game tell me I've lost before I was done with a phase. I forget what happened the first time, but the second time I had 3 life and a Drain Life in hand, and as soon as I activated Cabal Coffers to produce 5 black mana, the game ended because I lost. What's up with that? Is there any way to tell the game not to count me out until I've 100% fulfilled a losing condition?
Zeek

Re: Question about Gauntlet mode

Postby CirothUngol » 28 May 2009, 23:16

I have only had this issue with the latest release from jatill dated 20090522. Try using the previous update from jatill dated 20090513, as I've been using that one consistently for over a week without any issues (well, without that one at least ^_^). The game should never assume that you're gonna die, or that you're gonna kill, but the jatill 20090522 release seems to do exactly that. It also seems to only do it if you activate an ability or cast a spell during the 1st Main Phase... if you skip combat and then do something during the 2nd Main Phase, it seems to work correctly.
Personally, I'm waiting until jatill comes back and has a chance to take a look at it... until then I'm using his previous update.
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
Magic: The Gathering Abandonware
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby Wally » 29 May 2009, 02:01

This is the effect of moving towards death as a state based effect. Personally I prefer the old rules but more people voted for it then against so it was put in. From the description you've given I'm not sure whether it is correctly working per modern rules though.
Wally

Postby Zeek » 29 May 2009, 04:14

Okay. I don't mind this version too much considering I'm not really aiming to finish 20-battle gauntlets, but just using them to get a few battles in a row until I feel like stopping, doing something else, or running into an opponent using a different deck I designed. Although, the computer fails at Arcbound Ravager, sacrificing all its Moxes and such immediately until Ravager's the only artifact in play, only for me to untap and kill it with a sorcery on my turn. However, I was trying to use Tooth and Nail for fun and ran into a fairly effective discard deck I made, which tore my hand apart and left me topdecking. Granted, I got the mana to cast TaN first, but then had no way to find or stall to get it.

Anyway, funny glitch. Didn't repeat itself when I cancelled and activated again, but I screencaptured it-

You know, I used to love playing that card when it was standard legal...and I never recall it requiring 2U to activate. If it did, I probably wouldn't have used it! XD

And no laughing at my 'rythym deck. =P
Zeek

Postby grizox657 » 29 May 2009, 07:20

ive seen that before, when the AI was using islands... not 100% sure i remember but i think the AI played one of the counter target spell unless opponent pays X spells, and it asked me if i wanted to pay XU when i didnt have any islands
grizox657

Postby Zeek » 29 May 2009, 15:27

Hmm, I made a permission deck, and I keep getting overcharged for spells and abilities. It seems to involve X costs and activated abilities that normally cost just 1 colorless, as I've been asked to be 3U for Morphling's +1/-1 and Mishra Factory animation. I was also asked to pay 6U over someone's X=1 Powersink (I was tapped out anyway though), and had a Spell Burst overtap mana when I doubleclicked it and asked for 3 more, which I didn't have, forcing me to cancel and reclick the spell to get the correct payment display, then mana burn for the extra UUU in my pool.

The computer acts weird against heavy counterspell decks. Instead of the usual going all-out on spellcasting, it slams on the brakes, and usually way too much. I had one opponent opt to discard Healing Salves instead of gaining 3 life for spending one of the, say, 6-7 untapped mana resources?
Zeek

Return to Installation and Troubleshooting