It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 15:03

Text Size

Trying to setup in Win10

Downloads, Guides , General Support
PLEASE "SEARCH" BEFORE YOU POST!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Trying to setup in Win10

Postby SBMongoos » 04 Aug 2016, 17:23

Had played MTG (installing from the original CD/DVDs) on Win7 fine. But in Win10 I'm having no luck. I've been reading through some of the threads here (and a couple of other forums) but I'm not finding a current sticky with a complete process on how to get MTG up and running.

What I have:Win10 Pro, Original MTG disc, Spells of the Ancients and Duels of the Plainswalker discs. I have downloaded some of the Manalinks but I'm not clear on which I should use and what additional files I need and how to install in Win10.
SBMongoos

Re: Trying to setup in Win10

Postby Aswan jaguar » 04 Aug 2016, 18:25

SBMongoos wrote:Had played MTG (installing from the original CD/DVDs) on Win7 fine.
This is really interesting!I am wondering how did you manage to play them installing from the original CD/DVDs on windows 7 without any mods? :shock:
The original game didn't work to any version after windows 98.You are the first to say he played on windows 7 the unaltered original game!How did you pass the "dave cool runtime error" if I am not mistaken it was the message when run under newer windows versions.

Very few people have managed to make the modded game which has been developed to run on newer systems to run it on windows 10,for unmodded original disks it would be impossible?
Somebody who managed to run the modded game said that not to use compatibility mode was the trick for him another user says here that he managed to do it:
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=17523&start=30

In the latest update of manalink it is explained very well how to install the modded game:
viewtopic.php?f=85&t=17975
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby SBMongoos » 04 Aug 2016, 19:04

Aswan jaguar wrote:In the latest update of manalink it is explained very well how to install the modded game:
I should have been more clear. I did have to download a version of Manalink to get it to work. I think it was that and maybe something for decks. Been too long ago to be honest.

So you're saying at the link above it has all the steps/process to get this to work in Win10? I'm not seeing that.
Last edited by SBMongoos on 04 Aug 2016, 19:46, edited 1 time in total.
SBMongoos

Postby Aswan jaguar » 04 Aug 2016, 19:09

It has all the steps to install the game.Then either you are lucky and it works on your windows 10 or you try to do the 2 suggestions I mention on my reply above or anything else you can think of.
---
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby SBMongoos » 04 Aug 2016, 19:54

Aswan jaguar wrote:Very few people have managed to make the modded game which has been developed to run on newer systems to run it on windows 10,for unmodded original disks it would be impossible?
Somebody who managed to run the modded game said that not to use compatibility mode was the trick for him another user says here that he managed to do it:
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=17523&start=30

In the latest update of manalink it is explained very well how to install the modded game:
The first option above doesn't work at all for me in Win10. The second one with the link looks, to me, like it picks up in the middle of a process. I haven't set this up in years. So I'm looking for all the steps laid out: which discs, which patches, what order to install..that sort of thing.
SBMongoos

Postby Aswan jaguar » 04 Aug 2016, 20:32

viewtopic.php?f=85&t=17975?
What is confusing in this?
Korath wrote:
If you are installing Manalink for the first time, I recommend, in this order:

My Portals to Theros distribution, available here
Sarlack's HighRes Widescreen & Standard 4:3 Graphic mod, available here.
This patch.
The card artwork per Sonic's instructions below.
---
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby SBMongoos » 05 Aug 2016, 00:25

For me it's not clear what I do with the files. Unzip them and put them where? I don't see an installer so I assume by the size the PortalsToTheros is the game folder once unzipped but where does it get put? Program Files, root? The original game didn't like being installed into other than the default folder but this one is modded so I'm not sure.

Then you unzip CardArtUpdate_Dec2015 into the PortalsToTheros folder (does it overwrite files)? Same for Manalink-3-BFZv1-to-2016.01-14-BFZv2 as well as SarlackML3GraphicsWideV1.3.

Update. Here's what I did but I'm getting a ton of errors:
Unzipped Manalink-3.0-PortalsToTheros and put it in the Program Files (x86) folder. Then unzipped Sarlack's HighRes Widescreen & Standard 4:3 Graphic mod into Manalink-3.0-PortalsToTheros, next unzipped Manalink-3-2016.01.14-BFZv2.zip into Manalink-3.0-PortalsToTheros and lastly ->

Delete your currently installed 'CardArtManalink' folder, and replace it with the one in the CardArtManalink_2012 archive.

Then copy the artwork files from the CardArtUpdates_2012_2014 and CardArtUpdates_2015 archives into the newly installed CardArtManalink folder.

I go back and run the Magic.exe file in the Manalink-3.0-PortalsToTheros folder and get several errors (see attached image file of an example).
Attachments
error.JPG
Last edited by SBMongoos on 05 Aug 2016, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.
SBMongoos

Postby BAgate » 05 Aug 2016, 01:07

You can unzip PortalsToTheros anywhere you like. The mod and patch get unzipped to the same directory, although I prefer to unzip them in a temp directory and then copy and overwrite (virus scanners will register false positives on the dlls so disable before you unzip). As for the artwork, just follow instructions (make sure you expand the instructions though).
Working on: housekeeping and archived reports
BAgate
Tester

Postby SBMongoos » 05 Aug 2016, 01:11

BAgate wrote:You can unzip PortalsToTheros anywhere you like. The mod and patch get unzipped to the same directory, although I prefer to unzip them in a temp directory and then copy and overwrite (virus scanners will register false positives on the dlls so disable before you unzip). As for the artwork, just follow instructions (make sure you expand the instructions though).
See further above with screenshot.
SBMongoos

Postby BAgate » 05 Aug 2016, 01:29

A quick idea is your file structure appears off (see the double \\ after cardart). I didn't install this way (older package used long ago), but mine looks like manalink3.0\program\...

So you might want to check and see if there is a program subdirectory under manalink, and if so unzip and install everything under that.
BAgate
Tester

Postby Aswan jaguar » 05 Aug 2016, 04:00

General tip from our developer: really bad idea to put games (although if I remember correct he mentioned generally programs)into c/program files directory.
c/magic or any other path you prefer would be just fine.
when in the topic of the patch you are guided it is not mentioned strictly not to overwrite files then always overwrite content when you patch updates
---
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby SBMongoos » 05 Aug 2016, 12:52

Aswan jaguar wrote:General tip from our developer: really bad idea to put games (although if I remember correct he mentioned generally programs)into c/program files directory.
c/magic or any other path you prefer would be just fine.
when in the topic of the patch you are guided it is not mentioned strictly not to overwrite files then always overwrite content when you patch updates
Going to delete and start over. Will create c:\Magic and unzip there.

Confused by: "when in the topic of the patch you are guided it is not mentioned strictly not to overwrite files [b]then always overwrite content when you patch updates". This isn't clear as to overwrite or not overwrite - confusing to me anyway. This is why, for me anyway, details are help. What can be overwritten when unzipped and what cannot be. Perhaps this info is there but based on what I'm reading I'm either missing it or it's in another area that I'm missing.

Thanks for everyone's help! Thought it would be fun to get this fired up again and knock the rust off.
SBMongoos

Postby BAgate » 05 Aug 2016, 13:05

Overwrite everything unless there is a specific instruction in the patch not to (I don't think there is one in the current patch). But just a tip, unzip into a temp directory to make sure everything unzips, then copy into the appropriate directory.
BAgate
Tester

Postby SBMongoos » 05 Aug 2016, 13:12

Thanks!

Based on what I read I don't think there was any concern for overwriting.

One thing that doesn't make sense though is when unzipping the card updates it creates CardArtManalink (this if fine) but then inside this folder is a folder called CardArt. In the games structure CardArt and CardArtMalink are at the same level in the tree structure in file manager. I'm not seeing anything about moving files out of CardArt (from the zip) and putting them in to the CardArt folder in Magic.

Sorry...probably sound like a stickler but I've done technical documentation (including ISO: International Standards Organization)over the years and clarity and details were important.
SBMongoos

Postby SBMongoos » 06 Aug 2016, 20:09

Looks like it's working! A few little glitches (no error messages)I see from time to time and some the same in the past where you'll see the AI make a move that doesn't make sense (thought that happened in the past one in a while as well).

Is there a FAQ I missed about new feature or what does and doesn't work in this most recent release?
SBMongoos

Next

Return to Installation and Troubleshooting