Text Size

Easy solution for Win10 users

Downloads, Guides , General Support
PLEASE "SEARCH" BEFORE YOU POST!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Easy solution for Win10 users

Postby Walkerin » 27 Nov 2019, 21:53

Hello everyone!

I was just a lurker until now. This forum is a gem with brilliant people and awesome for who is willing to play Shandalar and other Magic softwares.
I decided to create my account because I found an easy solution to run Manalink and Shandalar on Win10 without using complex solutions, installing and configuring a VM and stuff. Sandboxie. Honestly, go ahead, install this program (I don't know if I can link it) and in a few minutes you will be playing your favorite Magic game of all time.

So,
1. Find Sandboxie software on Google and download it. Pay attention to your system version (32 or 64 bit). They just recently added support to Win10.
2. Just perform a quick standard install. No special config is required.
3. Let the program run for the first time and you'll see the program actually kinda works like a VM. Skip it. Close the window, let's play already.
4. You might need to restart your computer.
5. Right click on the Magic.exe or Shandalar or any other .exe you are having trouble to open (really, try it on other things in case you are needing) and click at the new option "Run Sandboxed".
6. A little Sandboxie window will appear and you may need to give it admin privileges. Press OK.
7. The game should be working now.

This entire process will require like 15 minutes of your time and will be instant after first run.

Enjoy. This seems not only to solve compatibility problems but also reduce the amount of crashes.
I recommend trying this method on Win7 too.

Until now I tested Shandalar 2012, some Manalink versions and specially the "Full manalink3.0 installation for NEW USERS-fate reforged". Everything is running smoothly. Unfortunately I didn't arrive in time to test Korath's amazing patches, maybe someone in this forum can confirm if this is also working for his builds.

I hope this post helps people who are seeking for solutions like I was.
Walkerin

Return to Installation and Troubleshooting