It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 04:44

Text Size

Getting New Deck Editor To Work In Windows 7

Downloads, Guides , General Support
PLEASE "SEARCH" BEFORE YOU POST!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Getting New Deck Editor To Work In Windows 7

Postby Bog Wraith » 20 Aug 2010, 20:41

Before I begin, let me say that these first few tries were done on a Windows 7 box. Later on I finally got it working on an XP install running in Parallels which is the emulation software I use to run Windows on my Mac's. However, I had first tried the wiki procedure on my Mac XP install as well when my attempts with Windows 7 failed, but had no joy that way either.

I had a hell of a time getting this to work, but I hit on it with allot of trial 'N error!

Ok, here is the account of my first attempt with Windows 7 on a PC;

I first used the info in the wiki and followed the instructions to get everything set up and ready to go. After copying the deck files I wanted to use into the custDeck/all subfolder, I then ran the cardEditor and, like others who experienced the same thing, new something was wrong right away. Card A would be replaced by card B, then card B would be replaced by card C...etc. Also, when choosing to update the art, only 4 files were copied into the cardArtCus folder. So, obviously, the whole procedure was a no go for me at that point.

Next, after reading the thread, I tried Cognis' download to his complete install. It didn't work for me either. I then found the updated link to Stassy's files after having tried the original now inactive link which was posted earlier in the thread. This too didn't work.
Again, all these attempts were on the Windows 7 system.

Now for the account on the XP install on my Mac.

I took Stassy's files and applied them to my XP install of ManaLink. I then copied the decks to the /all subfolder & then ran the Deck Editor. This time I could see that it was working as the cards being copied were replacing others without then copying over the previous change. Also, when I ran the update to the art files, all worked as it was supposed to. I started the program, switched to Custom and behold, it worked!

I tested a few games and it all worked just fine. The decks that I chose to include in the custom setup were the only one's showing in the drop down selection screen. All was good to go!

Afterwards, I copied the XP ManaLink install that had the Custom module working to my Windows 7 box. When I tried it, nothing happened. Then, instead of trying to switch to the Custom module from the main ManaLink menu, I went into the Magic folder, right clicked on the MagicCustom.exe file, Properties and selected the Compatibility tab. I then chose to run the program in XP service pack 2 mode.

After these steps, I dbl_clk'd the MagicCustom.exe file and it worked!

However, even after this, if I go into ManaLink via the regular Magic menu screen, and use the switcher and choose Custom, nothing happens. You MUST execute the MagicCustom.exe file in XP compatibility mode to get it to run.

I've also been able to add new decks, run the editor and update the art and have it all work ok.

BTW, I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium edition, so you don't need to have the Pro or Ultimate versions to get this to work.

I want to thank all the guys that participated in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2806

All of the back and forth was really helpful, & I want to especially tip my hat to both Cognis & Stassy for there input, uploads, and their overall steadfastness in getting this done.

Well done gentelmen! =D>

And as always, a big "Attta Boy" to Jatill for continuing to develop and improve on so much of what he has already done. This new Deck Editor makes it so much easier and convenient to get the cards into our Custom module that we wish to play with.
Choosing decks to include as opposed to picking the individual cards we want to include was simply frakin' brilliant! Thank you my friend! 8) :D
Last edited by Aswan jaguar on 08 May 2014, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unsticky- obsolete
'Twas in the bogs of Cannelbrae
My mate did meet an early grave
'Twas nothing left for us to save
In the peat-filled bogs of Cannelbrae.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Re: Getting New Deck Editor To Work In Windows 7

Postby stassy » 21 Aug 2010, 05:17

Alas the file I upped some time ago are from around the 20100728.zip or the 20100803.zip which are older from around 2 updates ago.

I suspect that the part that say "update for 8h" is when you apply a new update the cvs is overriden and you need to restart the whole update again.

I tried a big stomp update (aka making a highlander deck with for 2593 card) but DeckEditor crashed :p
Currently updating the whole lot with a 1999 cards deck and I will see if it work...in 8 hours
stassy

Postby Bog Wraith » 21 Aug 2010, 14:59

I suspect that the version from my XP install is one of those you list. I know that it doesn't include the M11 update as I have that running as a separate install on my Win 7 PC.

I always have multiple versions of ManaLink that have different updates applied to them installed on all my computers. The M11 install is one I'm using simply to play test those cards in Sealed Deck play. I've always got an install or two of the original game so as to strictly be able to play in Shandalar!

As Jatill knows, I'm the resident pack rat when it comes to saving updates & other ManaLink related files, at least for the most part as I haven't been, nor will I be active for awhile. I do have a ton of stuff dating all the way back to Mok's original Alpha releases. Hell, I keep everything! :roll: :lol:
'Twas in the bogs of Cannelbrae
My mate did meet an early grave
'Twas nothing left for us to save
In the peat-filled bogs of Cannelbrae.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby draconite » 30 Dec 2010, 23:37

Running MagicCustom.exe in XP Service Pack 2 doesn't work for me. Nothing happens when I try to run it.

EDIT: I just tried it in VMware with Windows XP (Service Pack 2), and MagicCustom.exe still doesn't work.
draconite

Return to Installation and Troubleshooting