It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 14:31

Text Size

Old School Magic

Downloads, Guides , General Support
PLEASE "SEARCH" BEFORE YOU POST!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Old School Magic

Postby joseluiselblanco » 27 Aug 2021, 16:42

I'm only interested in playing old school Magic.

Is there a way to play only with the first editions/expansions?
And is it possible to play with mana burn?
Also I tried playing Chaos Orb and it didn't seem to do anything when I cast it.
joseluiselblanco

Re: Old School Magic

Postby Aswan jaguar » 27 Aug 2021, 16:55

It is possible to do so in Manalink3.0. You will have to edit Manalink.csv yourself and only let cards from sets you want as coded. You will have to do so each time you install a new update as your changes will be overwritten. If you really mean this I will give you guidelines.

For mana burn it is easier as there is a choice in config.txt where you can enable mana burn.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby joseluiselblanco » 27 Aug 2021, 17:07

Thank you so much! Yes I would love that.
But what about all the decks using other cards? Should I delete them beforehand?
joseluiselblanco

Postby Aswan jaguar » 27 Aug 2021, 17:57

Assuming you have latest patch July 2021 - Proverbs, Myths & Fairy Tales:
1- Download and install magic_updater file in your main manalink program file:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/xz8ymk5c ... r.rar/file
2- Download and install this in your magic_updater file and overwrite when asked:
ct_all.rar
(463.15 KiB) Downloaded 206 times

3- Download and install this in your magic_updater file and overwrite when asked:
Manalink.rar
(1.7 MiB) Downloaded 633 times

4- Edit the CODED CARD column from 1 = coded to 0 = not coded in Manalink.csv for the cards from sets you don't want and save. In this file if you go to your right you will see columns with every set that will help you when doing this.
5- Run magic_udater.bat
6- Cut The files that will be created in updated_files and paste them in main program overwriting the old ones. You may want to save the files that will be overwritten in case something is wrong.

joseluiselblanco wrote:But what about all the decks using other cards? Should I delete them beforehand?
You better leave only decks with cards you want to play with. I really don't remember if it will just won't load decks with uncoded cards or crash if it finds any, I think it is the former.
---
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby joseluiselblanco » 28 Aug 2021, 21:00

Thank you so much for the help. I'll look into it next week as I'm not currently home.
And no I don't have the latest patch July 2021. So I guess I'll have to start with that.

Also I was wondering about Chaos Orb. I tried to play it and it didn't seem to do anything. Is it normal (as I guess it's difficult to adapt this card to a computer game)?

Thanks again.
joseluiselblanco

Postby Aswan jaguar » 30 Aug 2021, 12:42

Chaos Orb works it doesn't have an animation but it will destroy cards, you can check graveyards after you activate it. The effect is simulated and if you see at the end of it's rules text, it's developer mentions the chances to do what. There is always a chance Chaos Orb not to destroy anything. I tested twice and it destroyed a card.
---
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby joseluiselblanco » 30 Aug 2021, 15:56

Oh ok, I thought you could target a specific card (that's how it's used in old school magic) but it's true the official rule is different. My bad.
joseluiselblanco

Postby travolter » 01 Sep 2021, 18:36

Hi!!!

Here from Spain playing only 93-94 format with manalink.
To enable the old school sets do the following (check the pic):
Also remember to delete all pics for the cards pics folder with the new art (that personally I dont like) to conserve the original art theme. The new cards versions have a bracket () with a number after the name... so its easy to find them.

Its true that the only problem with manalink is that you dont have a chaos orb working in the way that 93-94 format does. A solution would be code a new 93-94 Chaos orb version card that would select a target.. and then just flip the coin for randomness.

Anyway manalink works perfect for 93-94.. here playing with it for more that 20 years now... the only really missing thing would be the online play that it havent been implemented (do you know any other mtg game to play online for free?)
travolter

Postby joseluiselblanco » 05 Sep 2021, 20:34

Great! I didin't know you could do that!
Still got to delete all the decks using modern cards though.
And I thought if you deleted the new art the cards wouldn't appear during the game. I thought you had to replace all the other arts with a copy from the original card?!
joseluiselblanco

Postby drool66 » 06 Sep 2021, 05:50

[qoute]I thought you had to replace all the other arts with a copy from the original card?![/quote] No, you do not.

It looks like the function of Chaos Orb no longer fits the programmer's description on the card. I think it actually has a 10% chance of destroying 5 cards (!). I added a capability of aiming for a certain card, with a 37.5% chance of hitting it.
drool66
Programmer

Postby travolter » 07 Sep 2021, 19:00

@drool66 thanks a lot for fixing the chaos orb.. I imagine that now you select a target when you cast the orb... and then the randomness is applied. Thanks again ;)
travolter

Postby drool66 » 07 Sep 2021, 19:08

Correct - so you "aim" for a specific card, then roll a random number 0-100; on 51+ it connects with a card, and for every 10 thereafter, so up to 5 total, but 50% chance of doing nothing. If the roll is less than 5, you hit your own permanents. It does a second roll, and if it's 25+, the first target hit is the one aimed at; the rest are selected randomly. Since previous values are not removed, a card could be "hit" twice at random, so destroying 5 is very unlikely unless there are a lot of cards. Tokens are excluded, since you can't hit beads :) Anyone want to chime in on whether these probabilities seem right?
drool66
Programmer

Postby joseluiselblanco » 14 Sep 2021, 22:09

I guess it makes sense with how Chaos Orb used to be played but in old school magic, the rule is:

1, Tap: Choose a nontoken permanent on the battlefield. If Chaos Orb is on the battlefield, flip Chaos Orb onto the battlefield from a height of at least one foot. If Chaos Orb turns over completely at least 360 degrees during the flip, and lands resting on the chosen permanent, destroy that permanent. Then destroy Chaos Orb.

It means you can destroy only one permanent on the battlefield.
joseluiselblanco

Postby Korath » 14 Sep 2021, 23:41

Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby drool66 » 15 Sep 2021, 18:24

He's referring to Old School Magic which is now a format unto itself. I had considered including two different functions on Chaos Orb: one if mana burn was turned on, one if it was turned off, since mana burn is in the Old School rules. Ultimately that seemed a little too cute so I went the way I did.
drool66
Programmer

Next

Return to Installation and Troubleshooting