It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 22:05

Text Size

Windows 7 64 bit and Manalink

Downloads, Guides , General Support
PLEASE "SEARCH" BEFORE YOU POST!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Windows 7 64 bit and Manalink

Postby Salbei » 18 Dec 2010, 06:49

I am about to format and re-install during this weekend and got windows7 32 and 64 bit available.Already backed up most of my stuff on a USB harddrive and am ready to go.

Currently i´m using the 32bit Windows 7 and Manalink seems to work even better than @ WinXP.
I´d like to try the 64bit version now to have all RAM available for other applications.
(OT: I might have caught a rootkit - been toying around with TrueCrypt so there is no way to be sure.So i´d rather format right away to get rid of eventual undetected malware.Better safe than sorry ^^)

Has anyone tried Manalink with this yet?
Retired a long time ago. I will not reply.
Salbei
DEVELOPER

Re: Windows 7 64 bit and Manalink

Postby 0rion79 » 18 Dec 2010, 11:19

I do: everything is all fine, except that you can't change cards order during duels and that occasionally the game starts with a black screen. Then, you just have to close the program and restart it. Nothing serious: it will work fine....
0rion79

Postby Salbei » 18 Dec 2010, 17:10

Alright, done with the installation + updates. The weird thing is that the mashine seems to run even slower now lol.

At least Manalink is working.
Salbei
DEVELOPER

Postby Salbei » 19 Dec 2010, 11:08

Seems i re-infected myself with that USB drive i used to backup.
Spend another 5 hours to format ... Well now everything is fine (deactivated autorun stuff and could clear the drive with Flash_Disinfect).

Now i got a different problem. I´m using a beta of Firefox 3.7 (x64) (Minefield) and like it a lot.
Downside is that i could not get Youtube to work - tried a few different versions of Adobe Flash Plugins but it just won´t work. Well guess i have to keep a 32bit version along to watch videos.

Edit:
Manalink 2.0 is running smooth and has yet to crash.
I´m really amazed how fast Minefield (Firefox 64bit) is so setting up win 7 x64 was definatly worth it.

edit:
Youtube etc. is working fine now with the latest update of the browser.

Everything is fine now. Currently i´m trying to setup Ubuntu onto a different partition.
Got literally no experience with ubuntu but there are a lot of decent sources on the net.Gonna test Manalink there aswell and report in.

Edit:
Installation wasn´t as easy as expected (ubuntu won´t boot on itself - had to install a win-tool to finally make it show up, forgot the name -> google dualboot).

Well after getting ubuntu to work i needed a bit time to get comfortable.Well a few hours later i started trying to run manalink in there (with the help of "wine"). Kinda funny to emulate a windows system in Linux^^
Long story short i couldn´t get it to start.Googled a bit and got to this:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=15046
So i guess others have been trying this aswell.
Well it was worth a shot.

Ubuntu itself is a really nice OS. Takes some time to get used to but it seems to be worth it.
I got a very old PCI-Wireless card - took me hours to find drivers for it @ Win 7. I thought its gonna be incredibly tough to get drivers for it for a different OS, but Ubuntu "found" the drivers right away !
Internet (surfing) is quite a lot slower, but overall enjoyable.Main plus are a lot of high quality free software - i still have to toy around with a few of these.The Dualboot is working without problems and i´m happy for now.

-> couldn´t get Manalink to work @ Ubuntu
Salbei
DEVELOPER

Postby Bog Wraith » 25 Dec 2010, 01:29

Nice to see you playing around with Linux. 8)
I did so a few years ago with Knoppix then, later installed a number of different distros to give 'em a try. I enjoyed some of them very much for web surfing and some other fun things, but never really could use it for getting work done in my field which is multi media creation. Also, as you alluded to, finding drivers was a bit of a challenge. Nice to see that it has improved with time.

Of course, I have the "Father" of Linux as the back bone of my computer system in Unix, which is the basis for Mac OS X.

As for my Windows machine, I too am running Windows 7 64 bit and am very happy with the system in general & ManaLink runs very well indeed! Without question, WIndows 7 is the best overall MS OS I have ever used.

Keep us informed on your Linux experiences and what you are doing with it!
'Twas in the bogs of Cannelbrae
My mate did meet an early grave
'Twas nothing left for us to save
In the peat-filled bogs of Cannelbrae.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby Salbei » 28 Dec 2010, 11:11

Well Ubuntu is fun to explore.But i usually end up booting win7 anyway most of the time.So there isn´t that much to tell about it.

I´m really happy with windows 7 and don´t see a reason to switch.
Salbei
DEVELOPER

Return to Installation and Troubleshooting