It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:37

Text Size

Probs with Ubuntu 10.10 + Wine 1.3.15 ??

Downloads, Guides , General Support
PLEASE "SEARCH" BEFORE YOU POST!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Probs with Ubuntu 10.10 + Wine 1.3.15 ??

Postby KingPrawn » 11 Mar 2011, 07:38

Hello all. I'm new to the forums, so... Hello :) I figured i should open up with a question. For whatever reason I can't get MTG to run through Wine on Ubuntu 10.10. I get this error:
Wrong parameters at address 0x420085
eax=0x55
ecx=0x55

Is that eax some issue with the sound card? I'm new to Linux so I'm still learning, but everything else that I try to run seems to work ok. Kinda stumped on this one since it installed fine. Any thoughts?
-KingPrawn
KingPrawn

Re: Probs with Ubuntu 10.10 + Wine 1.3.15 ??

Postby Formedras » 11 Mar 2011, 17:08

In this case, I think (but I'm not sure) that both eax and ecx refer to processor registers, not to any sound thing. That said, I don't have any clue how to fix it. (Then again, you haven't said WHAT M:tG you're playing. Duels or the Microprose game seem the most likely, though, but there's also Magic Online, right?)
In addition to any help you can get here, you may also want to check the Wine forums, since that seems more a Wine issue than a program one.
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it. - Agent K, MIB
Formedras
Programmer

Postby KingPrawn » 12 Mar 2011, 07:03

Oops. I guess that would be important, huh? :)
Duals of the planeswalkers 3.0 from the Microprose MTG 2010 iso.

I've looked all over for info about this and have come up with a lot of unrelated content. I'm not sure at this point if it's just a generic error code or specific. But, something sure doesn't add up. I can't think of why it wouldn't run with the Wine .dlls that are included, since the game is so old. I figured it would be pretty basic stuff. Guess I was wrong.

I'm running a dependency check on the Magic exe and will hopefully be able to find out what's hanging up. Since I'm not a coder nor a Linux guru, I might have my hands full. If I figure it out I'll be sure to post something, but until then I would still value any tips that could help. Might save me from another 5am battle with Linux. *shrug*
-KingPrawn
KingPrawn

Postby Salbei » 13 Mar 2011, 04:05

I tried the exact same thing like 3 months ago.
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=3733#p48808
Just used a different "installation", but couldn´t get it to work at all.

Keep in mind the program was ment to be run at windows 95/98 and not with linux. There have been some changes so you can start the game under Windows XP / Vista / 7 .
You might want to ask people at the WINE forums,we really can´t give any support for this over here. Also "Microprose MTG 2010 iso" is not really our turf over here.

Last time i checked there was no way to get this application to run though.
-> http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=15046
Retired a long time ago. I will not reply.
Salbei
DEVELOPER

Postby KingPrawn » 23 Mar 2011, 04:07

Eh. Thanks for the replies. I've been trying everything known to man to get it to work with Wine. I even copied all of my windows dlls over. The only successful solution was to run XP in Virtual Box. But, since you can't authenticate XP through VB I had to resort to resort to finding a *cough* "corporate" torrent.

But, since I actually OWN an unused copy of XP I can honestly say that it's about as legit as unlegit gets.
Obligatory Legal Statement Don't steal software. (don't we all feel better now?)

Anyway... if someone every figures out the trick to getting it to run under Wine please let me know.

Thanks again for the responses.
KingPrawn

Return to Installation and Troubleshooting