It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 21:27

Text Size

Download Original MicroProse & ManaLink Game Files!

Downloads, Guides , General Support
PLEASE "SEARCH" BEFORE YOU POST!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Download Original MicroProse & ManaLink Game Files!

Postby stassy » 19 Jul 2012, 18:12

Did you try the Yes/No keys (Y or N)?
stassy

Postby BlazingTiger » 19 Jul 2012, 20:16

Yup. Nothin :? Didn't get too far but still don't wanna start over. Any other suggestions? Already tried restarting my computer.
BlazingTiger

Postby BlazingTiger » 20 Jul 2012, 02:29

Okay well figured it out. Well at least it worked for me this time. When the warning came up i hit esc instead of clicking to get rid of it. First esc turned my screen black. And a few more got me back to the game with a prompt asking if i was sure i wanted to quit the game. Guess i pressed it 1 too many times. Meh at least i know how to fix it now!

And on an off note but still related to the game, the link here for the latest code patch is dead. All other links work though. Anyone know another source i can get the latest code patch from? Or if the owner of the file can fix the link? Thanks a lot guys for bringing back such an awesome and fun game!
BlazingTiger

Postby CirothUngol » 20 Jul 2012, 03:38

Sounds like you're having graphics issues trying to use the original Microprose Install CDs, or are you using a different install? Do you see the animations after defeating an enemy in Shandalar? My guess is that something isn't installed\registered correctly and the old-skool .AVI vids are giving your system fits. You may need to install the Indeo 5 Codecs. If it's a Win98 system, I'm sure I could help you pinpoint the issue (I've done it before), or you could just take the easy way out and try one of these...

MtG DotP 1.3.2 - The original Microprose install + Mok's 1.3.2 update. The True Game.
CCGHQ 2010 ISO - It's exactly like the original, only much, much better! Full CD Image.
Manalink 2.0 20100109 - Final backwards-compatible version of 2.0. Installer and VMWare.
Manalink 3.0 - That's the latest Full Version, just extract and run. 2-part .RAR archive.
Shandalar 2012 - That's Shandalar with New Graphics and many Extras. Installer and Mods.

The original Microprose CDs are great (I play with 'em quite often), but they're a real Beast to get working correctly. Those newer versions are simpler and more stable on modern systems.
If you'd like to migrate your Shandalar SaveFiles to a new install, just copy the files SaveDesc and MAGIC*.* to the new Program Folder. All of my old SaveFiles work fine in Shandalar 2012.
...the link here for the latest code patch is dead.
Yea, unfortunately the Wiki is in desperate need of an overhaul. That info page is about Manalink 2.0, not 3.0, and that "latest code patch" was nothing of the sort. Please, look here for the most current info...

CCGHQ 2010 ISO Thread.
Manalink 3.0 Patches Forum.
Shandalar 2012 Thread.

You can check out this ReadMe to get a rough idea of the features that have been added to Manalink.
...and welcome to the Forums! We all love this game and wish for everyone else to enjoy it as well. Please let us know if you have any problems using one of the newer installs (in the appropriate forum, of course ^_^).
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
Magic: The Gathering Abandonware
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby BlazingTiger » 20 Jul 2012, 10:38

Thanks a lot for all the links! And yeah i'm running the game in a 98SE VM using virtualbox. I read before about the Indeo 5 Codecs. Maybe i'll try that out and see what happens. But thinking i might just forget about my graphics issue and see what Shandalar2012 is all about :D
BlazingTiger

Postby CirothUngol » 20 Jul 2012, 19:00

...do that, you won't be sorry.
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby WEGA » 02 Sep 2012, 13:41

Hi.

Thank you for uploading such great things, but I have some issues unpacking your archives (the VMware images). They are all faulty :/.

Best regards

WEGA
WEGA

Postby CirothUngol » 04 Sep 2012, 12:53

You're welcome... but they're no good if they don't work.

I've uploaded 2 VMWare Apps to MediaFire (here and here), and since you've indicated a plural quantity I will assume that you believe both archives to be faulty.
I've re-downloaded that second one and found it to be OK, so perhaps something else is wrong...

Did you download ALL parts of the archive? (3 or 4 parts each)
Are you using the correct program to extract them? (7zip should work)
Are you extracting from the 1st archive only? (labeled "part1" or "001")

Do any of the other archives give you problems? Which application are you using to extract them? Hopefully you still have the files, as the ones I've re-downloaded appear to be just fine.
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby WEGA » 19 Jan 2013, 13:21

First of all, sorry for my late reply.

I just downloaded the four .rar archives from MediaFire, extracted the files and everything worked great!

All your other files/downloads work great as well.

Once again, thank you so much!

Regards

WEGA
WEGA

Postby CirothUngol » 19 Jan 2013, 15:36

Wow, talk about your belated replies! ^_^

MediaFire seems to be on a slow downward spiral, so I've started moving the more recent stuff to DropBox and SkyDrive... please check the links in my signature.
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby WEGA » 27 Jan 2013, 11:03

Hey again.

I've checked all three download links and all archives. I was able to download and unpack all of them!

Thank you again!

Regards

WEGA
WEGA

Postby Borodin » 30 Jan 2013, 14:00

Hi--I've just downloaded and installed Shandalar 2012. Ran the batchfile first, as instructed. It did its job without problems. When I go to the Program subdirectory and launch the Shandalar executable, however, I get an application error (Failure to initialize properly 0xc0000142). Any idea how I can get past this? I'm on WinXP SP3, and the winupdates have been installed. I have no problem running the old original with the Manalink 1.32 patch, but haven't updated that in a long time--and it sounds as though your version has mods increasing the AI, and adding new artwork as well as cards. So this is the one I'd really rather use.

One note: the x86 version of Visual C++ 2010 included in the archive asked if I wished to install it over a more recent version, which I already had. I declined.
Borodin

Postby CirothUngol » 31 Jan 2013, 02:28

This inquiry really should be in the Shandalar 2012 forum thread.
Borodin wrote:...I get an application error (Failure to initialize properly 0xc0000142).
Well, this is new. I did a quick search for "0x0000142" and it seems to be a .DLL issue (they recommend running SFC.EXE and some other basic stuff). So far, you're the first to report this issue... so it may be an incompatibility with your system. I saw a few forum guides on the topic, just do a search (I use http://www.duckduckgo.com). Please let us know if you are able to pinpoint the problem and get it running.
...your version has mods increasing the AI, and adding new artwork as well as cards.
Just for clarification:

AI - While there are no actual improvements to the computer AI, there are some rather drastic improvements to the Enemy PlayDecks, graciously provided by jiansonz, that allow the computer to be much more competitive. If you haven't already checked out his Enemy Decks Overhaul, you should. It contains a wealth of strategic and gameplay information regarding the Shandalar Enemys and their PlayDecks.

Artwork - Only the Duel and the DeckBuilder have new artwork, the rest of the game is exactly the same.

Cards - Nope. There are no new cards available in Shandalar. The game still contains the exact same 649 cards that it did in 1998... and until a talented and interested ASM programmer comes along to attempt patching the executable, it will remain that way.

As for the C++ Libraries, that shouldn't be an issue... but it could be. I've only tested it with the C++ 2010 Runtime, so maybe.
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby Borodin » 31 Jan 2013, 03:47

The computer was built for me years ago by a friend, and I never received the XP disc for it. Since moved away, so the likelihood of getting it is extremely slim.

I did try reinstalling the various NET Framework components, with no success. If there's something else corrupted in the libraries, it's apparently a file that hasn't been called by any other app or game I've run, and I've run quite a few over the years. Certainly possible, though.

Damn. Was looking forward jiansonz's Enemy Play Decks, and to the new artwork. Thanks for the quick reply, in any case. I'll try downloading a less customized, non-standalone patch, and see if that works.
Borodin

Postby CirothUngol » 31 Jan 2013, 13:40

Incidently, you can use the new Enemy PlayDecks with the original version of the game... since none of the cards have changed.
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
CirothUngol
Programmer

PreviousNext

Return to Installation and Troubleshooting