It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 04:17

Text Size

Download Original MicroProse & ManaLink Game Files!

Downloads, Guides , General Support
PLEASE "SEARCH" BEFORE YOU POST!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Download Original MicroProse & ManaLink Game Files!

Postby kroq-gar » 30 Aug 2010, 10:37

I've got Windows Vista

I installed the 2.0 version of Manalink and tried shandalar,it works but a lot of cards changes between shops and duels
For examples I Bought a Loxodon Gatekeeper and when I went to duel an enemy it turns out to be a Deathlace,and I cannot found cards used by my enemies like they have some other names when I can get them(trading or receving prizes)

I tried to overwrite with the Manalink version 2.01 but all scripts have disappeared

what version should I Download to play Shandalar correctly and if possible with the cards of the expansion(jihad and others)?
kroq-gar

Postby stassy » 30 Aug 2010, 13:07

Try to install the Microprose Magic the Gathering 2010 Custom Installer ISO which can be found here :
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=2349
stassy

Postby Stormjack » 22 Oct 2010, 02:37

THANK YOU!
Thanks for all your hard work guys. I'm downloading ManaLink 2.0 from this URL, and following the instructions.
http://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/Installation

I've got Windows 7 with several virtual machines. I'll try this first on the Windows XP mode machine. I've got Windows 98 and Windows 2000 virtuals set up as well. A CD install of the original MTG is working on my Windows 98 virtual, but I couldn't get the Spells of the Ancients CD to install. It sounds like ManaLink is superior to those original CDs though.

I'm an old-school player, mostly favoring the Gauntlet, though I did beat the Shandalar game years ago on a Windows 98 box.

Kudos to whoever wrote the Install page instructions. They are easy to follow.
Stormjack

Postby nhernandez » 25 Oct 2010, 15:35

So if I download the Manalink 2.0 do I need to download the patch for 2.1 ¿? or its already melted in?

and, If I download the Manalink 2.0 do I need any thing else?, can I add new cards to the game?
nhernandez

Postby Keovar » 16 Dec 2010, 18:28

I have Windows 7 and have downloaded and unpacked the game from the link Stormjack listed a couple posts ago. The game does run, but for some reason I am unable to buy cards in towns in Shandalar, despite having the gold to do so. Is there some special hotkey for this that I've forgotten about in the years since I last played, or should there be a "buy" button that is just not showing, for whatever reason. I guess Shandalar isn't a popular aspect of the game, but I do like the idea of growing and refining a deck from whatever I find, at least for now. I've been away from Magic as a whole for about 8 years now...
Keovar

Postby stassy » 17 Dec 2010, 04:42

Which step did proceed do in the installation wiki?
Remember that past the Mok version (2 1st link), you can no longer play Shandalar properly.
Also the hotkeys are Y or N for confirming card acquisition in shop
stassy

Re: Manalink 2.x 20100109 Windows Installer and VMWare Appli

Postby Huggybaby » 19 Dec 2010, 05:38

CirothUngol wrote:Hiya, guys!...

Also, I'd originally planned to make an updated version of the Manalink 2.0 VMWare Appliance available at the top of this thread, but Mok's 2.0 is the last version I could get to run on Win95/98. Without 98micro's tiny footprint a VMWare appliance can grow unweildly very quickly. A bare WinXP Pro install is 2Gb+ before you add hundreds of Mb worth of card images. That's a no-go. However...
I recently laid my hands on a tiny OEM install of WinXP SP2 whose bare install clocks in at under 250Mb! After wrestling with VMWare driver issues for half a Saturday (as an OEM disc, none are included) I was able to get Graphics, Audio, Network and Indeo Video working, and the Manalink Install runs just fine. I've been using the appliance for over a week now and feel secure that its stable. After loading the necessary WinXP updates and adding the Full Manalink 2.x 20100109 Install (~975 Mb) the Appliance starts at 1.37 Gb, and the 6-part 7zip archive is 596 Mb. It was created using the new VMWare Player 3.1.1 which now allows creating as well as executing appliances, making VMWare Workstation obsolete unless you're creating business applications, network simulations, server distributions or the like. Well worth the upgrade, and probably necessary to use this appliance (faster than MS Virtual PC, too).
Hey CirothUngol , I'm late to the party on this one. Does Shandalar work in your version?
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby acbdacbd » 29 Jan 2011, 21:08

First of all, thanks for this awesome site.

I originally tried to install the 74.3 mb zipped version found all over the web, but it doesn't run on Vista; I found your site through a link on the Microprose M:tG game Wikipedia page.

I downloaded your files form mediafire AND rapidshare (in case it made a difference) via the links on the first page of this thread and the went to unzip them with WinAce Archiver, but it's not working.

I noticed that many of the individual files, when I looked at the "ratio" column in WinAce, were below 20%, some at 0% and I handful were over 100% (which I've never seen before). I've had this issue w/ previous .rar archives (the >20%)and they universally fail.

When I tried unpacking them all at once and it crashed WinAce so I then unpacked the files a few (~6) at a time. This

I kept the mediafire and rapidshare versions together (i.e. I created two seperate new folders and placed parts 1 and 2 of mediafire in one and parts 1 and 2 of rapidshare in the other) and they both had the same issue.

When I went to run the program, I could open magic.exe and shandalar.exe but when I go to choose my color (after choosing world->Shandalar->start new game) I get the message:

File->D:\NewMagic\sources\sidlib\text.c, Line-> 131 File fonts.cv could not be opened: EXITING

the program then goes to the screen where I'm supposed to enter my name but the graphics are messed up and when press enter the game crashes everytime. I also tried loading some saved games just to see if they would work but that also crashes the game.

Any help would be appreciated.

The total ratio of the .rar archive was listed as 35%, fyi.
acbdacbd

Postby Huggybaby » 29 Jan 2011, 23:26

Try 7zip, there should be no problem with the archives.
Reboot after installing and see if that fixes the font issue.
Be sure to make a new character when you start the game.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby acbdacbd » 30 Jan 2011, 03:08

okay, (edit: unzipped w/ 7-zip) reloaded and still have same error; don't know if it's Vista or just my laptop.

Also, I considered trying to run the "running natively" option, but the link to the 3rd of the 7 manalink_2.0 files returned an error (file has been deleted or something); I reloaded the page a few times just to make sure, but it's definitely not there (however parts 1-2 & 4-7 are just fine apparently). Do you know where I could get the third file?

I appreciate the help and don't want to seem pushy, but I've wanted to play this game for years on and off, and now that I've found some files it's irritating to not be able to play the game :(

Also, can your full version be played with only the cards from the original set? I saw a number of image files from newer expansions and I actually only want to play the older cards (original + Spells of the Ancients + the other expansion if they added any cards).

Edit: Forgot to mention, for this install attempt I only downloaded the 2 files from the beginning (the mok manalink 2.0) and after unzipping tried to run (both by double clicking magic & shandalar & running magic & shandalar as administrator in case that made a difference). Is there something else I should have installed or some other way I should have tried to run it?

Re-Edit: Is there a version of this game for DOS that I could run through DOSBox? I seem to recall reading something about that somewhere but I've also read it was Win 95 only.
acbdacbd

Postby Huggybaby » 30 Jan 2011, 19:27

Hmm, OK, let's start over then. I got confused about what thread we were in...

Please go to viewtopic.php?p=30392#p30392 and grab the torrent, I think that's what you want. It's the original, with the older cards, and fixed for Vista. I don't recommend the version in this thread at all, unless you want to do some modding, which you don't.

Thanks for the heads up on the broken link, someone will look into it.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby acbdacbd » 31 Jan 2011, 23:54

works like a charm, thanks!
acbdacbd

Postby Ghost » 12 Feb 2011, 03:08

Hello.

Part 4 of the original MTG is gone from mediafire. Hopefully someone still has it?

Thanks
Ghost

Postby Huggybaby » 12 Feb 2011, 05:02

All the links work for me.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Ghost » 12 Feb 2011, 14:33

hmm.. I thought it might have been some kind of temporary ban from mediafire, cause I downloaded quite a bit of stuff BUT.. still not working... here:

MTG_1.0.part4.rar (99 MB)
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?wzz2zrjtr4m

it gives error 320 and says:

Invalid or Deleted File.

The key you provided for file download was invalid. This is usually caused because the file is no longer stored on Mediafire. This occurs when the file is removed by the originating user or Mediafire.
If you believe you have reached this page in error, please contact support.

is my link correct? is it working for you?

thx!
Ghost

PreviousNext

Return to Installation and Troubleshooting