It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:12

Text Size

Rules Changes for 2010

Discuss Upcoming Releases, Coding New Cards, Etc.
PLEASE DO NOT REPORT BUGS HERE!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Rules Changes for 2010

Postby HarryPitfall » 10 Jun 2009, 04:11

Well... wizards change the rules a bit for 2010, see:

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/a ... eature/42a

the great news... manalink combat system is now, OFFICIALLY on the rules! There is no stack use for combat damage... is assigned and dealt!

Also, manaburn is removed, the mana pool empty on each end of phase, and now, Battlefield and Exile are the new names for Play and Removed From Game...

Another rule change, is lifelink, is now more or less like in manalink, damage dealt = life gain, no stack... but isn't cumulative, so 2 lifelinks don't make you win doubled life...

Also, there is some lovely cards spoiled... our lovely 6/1 trample haste LIGHTNING BALL returned!!!
HarryPitfall
AI Programmer

Re: Rules Changes for 2010

Postby MageKing17 » 10 Jun 2009, 06:18

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the new version of Incantus will take even longer due to these changes. :P

Ironically, we just went through a great deal of trouble to make sure that tokens were owned by the controller of the effect that created them... so much for all that hard work. :P
MageKing17
Programmer

Postby jatill » 10 Jun 2009, 12:16

That's great. Ever since the rumors started, I've been waiting for the Mana Burn change to be formally announced. I'm going to blow that away right now, if I can find the right piece of code. One less thing the AI can do to kill itself :)

Edit: found it
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby Marek14 » 10 Jun 2009, 13:02

Remember that lifelink rules change only affects Loxodn Warhammer and cards from Future Sight up. Spirit Link still works the same, and cards like Spirit Loop or Essence Sliver are actually unerrataed to no longer use lifelink.
Marek14
Tester

Postby Nachomancer » 10 Jun 2009, 16:18

This whole 'Exile' deal makes RFG seem a lot more like Phasing.

I bet all the Exiled creatures hang out with the Phased Out creatures, and they all laugh at all the Damnations and Infernos that can't touch them.
Nachomancer

Postby SEE » 10 Jun 2009, 17:48

jatill wrote:That's great. Ever since the rumors started, I've been waiting for the Mana Burn change to be formally announced. I'm going to blow that away right now, if I can find the right piece of code. One less thing the AI can do to kill itself :)

Um. Are you going to propagate that in your race-to-2000 updates? Some of us are less enthusiastic.
SEE

Postby jatill » 10 Jun 2009, 19:32

SEE wrote:
jatill wrote:That's great. Ever since the rumors started, I've been waiting for the Mana Burn change to be formally announced. I'm going to blow that away right now, if I can find the right piece of code. One less thing the AI can do to kill itself :)

Um. Are you going to propagate that in your race-to-2000 updates? Some of us are less enthusiastic.
I am. You're stuck with it.
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby MageKing17 » 10 Jun 2009, 19:37

Nachomancer wrote:This whole 'Exile' deal makes RFG seem a lot more like Phasing.
Exile was the change I was most pleased with, and when they previewed Undead Slayer, I knew it was the right choice. That card has perfect flavour, and if it had to use the more wordy "Remove target Skeleton, Vampire, or Zombie from the game", it just wouldn't be the same.
MageKing17
Programmer

Postby Nachomancer » 10 Jun 2009, 20:36

"Having fun, Timmy?"

"Uhh... I don't know."
Attachments
having fun timmy.gif
Nachomancer

Postby Snacko » 10 Jun 2009, 21:24

That's epic, but I suppose they won't go so far, at least in the M2010 update :)
Snacko
DEVELOPER

Postby SEE » 10 Jun 2009, 23:36

jatill wrote:I am. You're stuck with it.
Oh, not really. I'll just duck out with the 6/10 release, thanks, continue my efforts to figure out the hacking myself, and eventually start my own releases.
SEE

Postby thedrigo » 11 Jun 2009, 00:03

pff, good luck with those releases... that manaburn rule is AWESOME.
thedrigo

Postby SEE » 11 Jun 2009, 02:10

thedrigo wrote:pff, good luck with those releases... that manaburn rule is AWESOME.
I'll be downright shocked if the AI can handle Power Surge properly after eliminating mana burn.
SEE

Postby CirothUngol » 11 Jun 2009, 02:16

Hrmm... I just finished reading the new rules preview that's linked at the top of this thread, and I must admit, I'm a little confused. This obviously stems from my old-school nature... untill a month ago the last new card I'd seen came out in Urza's Saga (the last set I purchased). The new ManaBurn Rule is OK, but it will make several cards obsolete (like Power Surge ) and make other cards better (like Su-Chi ). However, I really don't buy that schpiel about it being counter-intuitive... if you access lots of power, but then have no place to send it, it hurts you. Simple, and it's been there since the inception of the game (it was in the very 1st rule book that came with Beta Starter Decks). With that being said, I should also mention that I wouldn't miss ManaBurn one bit; it's abscence is merely "counter-intuitive" to me. ^_^
That's really not the issue though, my confusion is over all the hubbub about Combat Damage and the lack of a Damage Stack... and with all the hoops they're trying to jump through to get around it. By the old rules, only Effects that dealt with damage were playable during damage resolution (and death effects, like Regeneration, were only allowed when a creature was destroyed), end of story. By these new rules, you'd actually have to Regenerate a blocking creature Before It Even Receives Damage! Talk about counter intuitive! And what's the deal with having to deal lethal damage to the 1st blocker before you can assign damage to any other blockers? That wouldn't be necessary if only damage-effects were playable at damage resolution, would it? It never was before. Very, very weird to me.
I think I need to go read the last set of Comprehensive Rules before they change 'em again, just to see how the rules changed... and why.
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
Magic: The Gathering Abandonware
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby MageKing17 » 11 Jun 2009, 05:11

CirothUngol wrote:By these new rules, you'd actually have to Regenerate a blocking creature Before It Even Receives Damage! Talk about counter intuitive!
You had to regenerate before damage was dealt before. You could simply do it after damage was assigned and put on the stack. If you didn't regenerate before the damage was dealt, you'd have missed your chance and it would be dead. :P
MageKing17
Programmer

Next

Return to Development