It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 18:01

Text Size

Is there a way to change mana cost for activated abilities?

Discuss Upcoming Releases, Coding New Cards, Etc.
PLEASE DO NOT REPORT BUGS HERE!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Is there a way to change mana cost for activated abilities?

Postby luckylavs » 01 Dec 2013, 07:34

I'm trying to find a simple way to alter the mana cost of activated abilities appearing on a card. So, for example, instead of spending one red mana to pump a red creature +1/+0--I'm now going to have a white creature -- and so it needs a white mana cost, rather than a red one, in order to pump.

Is there a field in manalink.csv or in ct_all.csv I can just change to accomplish this? I know how to change the mana cost of the card itself, but I'm not sure what column the cost of the activated ability is.

Or maybe it's simpler to accomplish this using a downloadable card editor? I saw one referenced in a tutorial -- it is called Sky Magic -- but it wasn't available for download from the link. Wonder if it is still being used. The tutorial looks like it was from a long time ago.
luckylavs

Re: Is there a way to change mana cost for activated abiliti

Postby Korath » 02 Dec 2013, 19:30

Activated abilities are done in the card function. You can change the color of mana produced for (most) mana producers if you're only editing csvs, but that's about it.

Skymagic is obsolete; it only let you do things that are now accomplished by editing the csv files, if I recall correctly. (Though there's textual comments within the exe for cards referencing Skymagic; it may have automated blind cut-and-pasting code from two cards together. If it did, I'm glad it's gone, since that really doesn't work correctly even in simple cases.)
Korath
DEVELOPER

Re: Is there a way to change mana cost for activated abiliti

Postby Sonic » 03 Dec 2013, 23:54

Korath wrote:Skymagic is obsolete; it only let you do things that are now accomplished by editing the csv files, if I recall correctly. (Though there's textual comments within the exe for cards referencing Skymagic; it may have automated blind cut-and-pasting code from two cards together. If it did, I'm glad it's gone, since that really doesn't work correctly even in simple cases.)
Cut-and-paste was fairly much standard practice when the coding was cracked to allow the adding of new cards in ASM, in the days before the C coding was finally implemented.

http://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/Tutorial
Working On: Life, the Universe, and Everything.
Sonic
Apprentice

Return to Development