It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 12:51

Text Size

Cards that reference other cards

Discuss Upcoming Releases, Coding New Cards, Etc.
PLEASE DO NOT REPORT BUGS HERE!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Cards that reference other cards

Postby jatill » 16 Oct 2009, 14:29

What cards are in this game that have an effect text that is not static? The only one I can think of off-hand it Aswan Jaguar, which says Hunting XXXX dynamically. Are there others? The best would be cards that name other cards in their orange effect box.
jatill
DEVELOPER

Re: Cards that reference other cards

Postby aww1979 » 17 Oct 2009, 00:51

Urza's Tower/Powerplant/Mine and Nissa Revane name cards besides themselves, but not in an orange box.

Demigod of Revenge and Rite of Flame name themselves, and must be doing something to count other relevant copies of themselves.

Would stuff like King Suleiman or lord-type creatures work? They name creature types, but not specific cards.

What about stuff like Gaea's Liege, Kird Ape, Cyclopean Tomb, or dozens of others that reference basic lands by name? I didn't go through them all, but hopefully some have the orange box.

That's the best I can do :p
aww1979
Tester

Postby Salbei » 17 Oct 2009, 01:35

guess he is refering to aswan jaguars "orange box" where the random type it is hunting is standing.
this card is unique as far as i know.

can´t remember any other coded card doing exactly this.
Raging River is the only thing that is a bit simmilar , but this won´t help i guess since the effect doesn´t have anything to do with it the jaguar.

the astral cards with random affects might be more helpfull.
"Whimsy" + "Power Struggle" + "Faerie Dragon" is as close as i could get for the "random part"
Retired a long time ago. I will not reply.
Salbei
DEVELOPER

Postby Marek14 » 17 Oct 2009, 07:07

aww1979 wrote:Urza's Tower/Powerplant/Mine and Nissa Revane name cards besides themselves, but not in an orange box.

Demigod of Revenge and Rite of Flame name themselves, and must be doing something to count other relevant copies of themselves.

Would stuff like King Suleiman or lord-type creatures work? They name creature types, but not specific cards.

What about stuff like Gaea's Liege, Kird Ape, Cyclopean Tomb, or dozens of others that reference basic lands by name? I didn't go through them all, but hopefully some have the orange box.

That's the best I can do :p
Urza's lands actually don't name specific cards - they name cards with specific combination of land subtypes. This is because of interaction with land changing effects like Phantasmal Terrain. They used to change name of the affected land, but that is no longer true - now they change its subtype and erase all "internal" abilities of that land. Since it doesn't make sense that transformed Urza's lands would be still "on", the key information about their existence was moved to subtype.
Marek14
Tester

Postby jatill » 19 Oct 2009, 14:36

Raging River meets what I'm looking for, since it has 2 different things for its text box. So is that and Jaguar it? I'd like to have cards like Meddling Mage list what card they are naming, but I can't find any good cards with code that set the text of that box.
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby jatill » 21 Oct 2009, 15:27

Yay, I finally figured this out. Other than Meddling Mage and Isocron Scepter, are there other cards that need this effect?
jatill
DEVELOPER

Return to Development