It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 13:01

Text Size

So many questions from a new card developer ...

Discuss Upcoming Releases, Coding New Cards, Etc.
PLEASE DO NOT REPORT BUGS HERE!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

So many questions from a new card developer ...

Postby purplepixie » 20 Apr 2010, 15:58

So ... this is a fairly epic, mildly self-indulging rant.
Grab a coffee ;-)

So I play Shandalar a lot, even with all the cards being horribly out-dated because, well because I love it.

But after building my last Black Vise deck and shouting "goddamit, I need Remand and Dream Fracture if this is ever going to work" for the last time, I found this project.

And I've gotten it all working and, naturally, dived right into the deep end of card-creation :-)

But I find to my dismay that the 2,000 limit is already hit, and I have to keep clobbering cards to make new ones.
And I don't really understand how this My2000 program works ... where do these cards live? Can I add an arbitrary number of them?
I don't really get how this limit works, and where cards that *aren't* in Magic.exe live, as such ...

I'm a pretty competent programmer, but I never really got into ASM or hacking around with memory / exe files, I just "do" coding, as it were.
But this is proving a hell of a lot of fun.

So, the real questions:
1) Is there a list of every card that has been written?
Just because a card is not in my Deck Editor or src/*.c doesn't mean it hasn't been made, right?
2) Is there a collection of source code for the new cards that *aren't* in the 20100329.zip?
Because there are plenty of cards that weren't in my Shandalar, but are in it now, but that don't have any source code ...
3) What do you want me to do with my new cards?
How can I share them with the world?

This My2000 jobby seems like it should be the answer, but I can't work out where it gets the cards that you want to add from :-S

For now, I'll just upload the raw source code and if anyone wants the cards they can work out the rest of it ... right?

I'll post cards in a separate thread or something if that's what's wanted.

Also, while I'm here, is there a version of Magic.exe (et c.) with all the required code for new cards, but with only, say, the original cards as cards in it?
So I can create lots of cards at once and add them to my game without killing a card each time?
It would just make it easier to lump, say, new red dudes together and generally make life easier ...

EDIT: Also, I have a list of technical questions about coding ... mostly in re the stack - where do these want to go?
(e.g. how do you actually use it?
Let's say I'm coding the annihilator mechanic. So far I can get it to work fine without the stack [on declare it as an attacker, force x sacrifices]
but what I can't do is get it to stack a "triggering annihilator", prompt for responses and then force the sac at resolution time.
Is this just a pre-6th ed thing?)
Last edited by purplepixie on 20 Apr 2010, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
Phyrexian Arena, Necropotence, Dark Confidant: "Life is more important than cards."
This is, of course, evidenced by your average Magic player: lots of cards and no life ;-)
purplepixie

Re: So many questions from a new developer ...

Postby jatill » 20 Apr 2010, 18:55

And I don't really understand how this My2000 program works ... where do these cards live? Can I add an arbitrary number of them?
> The cards all live in corresponding sets of .csv and .exe’s. To see which My2000 shows, look at customSetEditor.txt. By placing a max of 2000 cards in each exe, you can add as many cards as you want (but only 2000 can be used per exe).
I don't really get how this limit works, and where cards that *aren't* in Magic.exe live, as such ...
> Right now all the other cards live in MagicLimited.exe, though other exe’s can be created too.
Is there a list of every card that has been written?
> Yes, My2000 shows every card if you check the appropriate box
Just because a card is not in my Deck Editor or src/*.c doesn't mean it hasn't been made, right?
> right.
2) Is there a collection of source code for the new cards that *aren't* in the 20100329.zip?
Because there are plenty of cards that weren't in my Shandalar, but are in it now, but that don't have any source code ...
>All this source is ASM, and is coded within the exe’s.

3) What do you want me to do with my new cards?
How can I share them with the world?
>Depends how many you are going to make. If a lot, then I’d create a new exe/csv for yourself so you can clobber everything without worrying about erasing anything.
This My2000 jobby seems like it should be the answer, but I can't work out where it gets the cards that you want to add from :-S
> customSetEditor.txt
For now, I'll just upload the raw source code and if anyone wants the cards they can work out the rest of it ... right?
> not likely, since that requires a lot of work to get from code to fully functional card. Add your cards to an exe/csv as normal, and then use the deploy script to distribute them.

Also, while I'm here, is there a version of Magic.exe (et c.) with all the required code for new cards, but with only, say, the original cards as cards in it?
So I can create lots of cards at once and add them to my game without killing a card each time?
>I’ve addressed this above. Hopefully it makes sense.

Also, I have a list of technical questions about coding ... mostly in re the stack - where do these want to go?
> Put them here
Let's say I'm coding the annihilator mechanic. So far I can get it to work fine without the stack [on declare it as an attacker, force x sacrifices]
but what I can't do is get it to stack a "triggering annihilator", prompt for responses and then force the sac at resolution time.
Is this just a pre-6th ed thing?)
> Yes. Triggers don’t use the stack in manalink, generally.
jatill
DEVELOPER

Re: So many questions from a new developer ...

Postby purplepixie » 20 Apr 2010, 19:17

That's super-useful, cheers.

I'll just live with the stack behaving as if it think's we're still in pre-6th edition (to be fair, we are :-D) and see if I can work out this whole foldering thang we got going ...

I'll post back with some results in a while.
Phyrexian Arena, Necropotence, Dark Confidant: "Life is more important than cards."
This is, of course, evidenced by your average Magic player: lots of cards and no life ;-)
purplepixie

Return to Development