It is currently 04 May 2024, 12:38

Text Size

Getting started programming

Discuss Upcoming Releases, Coding New Cards, Etc.
PLEASE DO NOT REPORT BUGS HERE!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Getting started programming

Postby nyal » 19 Jul 2011, 03:52

Giving up on the challenges since I tend to crash 9 out of 10 attempts. I appreciate all the work folks put into this so far. I'd like to look into the code and see if I can't help the project as well. Unsure how to get started. Where do I get the source code? What language is the game coded in? Is there any interest in someone programming things into the Shandalar side of the game? I'd like to do something with Shandalar and work on AI and going back over some of the card combinations I find that seem to cause crashes. My AS degree was in programming about a million years ago, but I'm sure I remember something that may be helpful. Let me know. Thanks!
nyal

Re: Getting started programming

Postby stassy » 19 Jul 2011, 06:16

You could start with the wiki :
http://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/ManaLink_2.0

Good luck for programmming cards and trying Shandalar, you are stepping on unknown land :p
stassy

Postby Yggdrasil » 19 Jul 2011, 09:09

Adding new cards is the easiest task, you can ask Jatil or Gargaroz for help or tips.
The core of magic.exe is in assembler and cracking it is the big challenge. It seems to be a very difficult and tedious task, but if you have skills and want to contribute, you can check this thread.
An improved version of Shandalar would be really amazing, but like Stassy said, it's a new land to discover.
Good luck.
Yggdrasil

Postby Gargaroz » 21 Jul 2011, 00:33

If you want to contribute to the coding process of cards, you're welcomed and I'll give you all the help you need, but if you can work on cracking Magic.exe and give us a source code, that would be an ENORMOUS help. You know, we're currently fighting abount that damned 2000 cards limit per version.
However, the cards and the linked functions are coded in C.
----
- Current / medium term task: adjusting the code for making Misdirection and such usable
- Long term task: inserting all the good stuff I left out from the "Golden Years" mod
Gargaroz
Programmer

Return to Development