It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 07:57

Text Size

Magic.exe CommandLine Switches

Discuss Upcoming Releases, Coding New Cards, Etc.
PLEASE DO NOT REPORT BUGS HERE!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Magic.exe CommandLine Switches

Postby CirothUngol » 24 Aug 2012, 01:58

I was searching the Manalink Executables for commandline switches and testing them out when I ran across this little anomaly:

Executing "Magic.exe" from the CommandPrompt or a BatchFile will deactivate the sound.

No switches are necessary. This only seems to be the case for Manalink v3.0... v1.32 and v2.0 are unaffected. Can anyone confirm this behavior? Is this intentional? Either way, it could certainly prove useful.
Well, it seems that I'm wrong. In my zeal to remove all unnecessary files from the Full Download, I'd also removed the MagSnd.dll file... which apparently is indeed necessary. My guess is that Win7 somehow found the file when I clicked the executable, but not when I called it from the CommandLine. Since I omitted files by trial-and-error, I thought it was not needed.

Note to self:
Always call from the CommandLine when testing this kind of thing in the future. ^_^
I searched the executables with a batch trick mentioned here. It lists some junky-stuff, but also yields these rather valid-looking switches:

/AUTOSAVE
/SHANDSAVE
/MTGshell
/start

The switches are the same regardless of version... but they don't appear to actually do anything. Sad.
I've attached a .ZIP containing the STRINGS.EXE utility (from SysInternals) and a tiny FindSwitch.cmd file, if anyone would like to check them out.
Attachments
FindSwitch.cmd.zip
Tiny utility for finding command switches in Executable Files
(70.16 KiB) Downloaded 400 times
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
Magic: The Gathering Abandonware
CirothUngol
Programmer

Re: Magic.exe CommandLine Switches

Postby Snacko » 13 Sep 2012, 11:12

Well the switches work, however unless you study the code you won't know what they do as they're very under the hood.

Example:
/MTGshell - everything is run under mtg.exe ("Magic: The Gathering") process
Snacko
DEVELOPER

Return to Development