It is currently 05 Jun 2024, 10:28

Text Size

Challenge Mode Poll - reset button

Guides/Support for Challenges,Discuss General Strategy or just share your Deck ideas.
PLEASE "SEARCH" BEFORE YOU POST!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

What do you think about the 'reset button'?

Sounds perfect.
52%
It will make challenges too easy.
41%
The challenges will be too hard even with the button.
7%

Total votes : 27

Challenge Mode Poll - reset button

Postby jatill » 31 Dec 2009, 18:54

I know that a lot of people find challenge mode a little too challenging. I don't have a lot of sympathy since I've been able to beat all but one myself in a reasonable amount of tries. But here's a proposal that I'm curious to see opinions about.

What if I included a 'reset button' card that you could activate one time per challenge. It would wipe the board and set each life total to 20.

My opinion is that this would make the challenges too easy, but I'm willing to hear what you think.
jatill
DEVELOPER

Re: Challenge Mode Poll - reset button

Postby EviL_CLonE » 31 Dec 2009, 20:00

I don't like cheating, so I will not use it if it gets implemented, but some people might find it useful.
I agree about including the reset button, but could it be possible to activate or deactivate it from Config.txt, just to prevent accidental clicks on it?
EviL_CLonE

Postby Salbei » 31 Dec 2009, 22:15

would be too easy then.the new no-unlock but surprise that only works in challenge-mode is enough for now in my oppinion ... might aswell implement a "i´m lazy and don´t want to unlock stuff" unlock all , should end up the same.

happy new year =P~
Retired a long time ago. I will not reply.
Salbei
DEVELOPER

Postby Bog Wraith » 31 Dec 2009, 23:34

I think that the poll shows a pretty even 50/50 vote in the original thread about this elsewhere in the forum, so let people choose if they want this or not. Remember jatill, just because you were able to get through it doesn't reflect on those who have not. You have to take the big picture into consideration.

However, for me, I've stated on more than one occasion that I think you should choose to do with this as you see fit and if I can't unlock certain cards, well so be it! I was never one who played nor enjoyed the Gauntlet portion of the game, so for me, it's no big deal.
I much prefer Sealed, Draft & Constructed play, and of course, my residence is in Shandalar, so I don't have to tell you how much I love playing there! :wink:

I'd really just like to see implemented somehow in the deck builder, which cards are locked so as to get a quick visual reminder of what cards one may or may not have access to. It would save time and occasional frustration when building our decks!
'Twas in the bogs of Cannelbrae
My mate did meet an early grave
'Twas nothing left for us to save
In the peat-filled bogs of Cannelbrae.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby scherbchen » 31 Dec 2009, 23:35

kind of like the idea for the 5:1 challenge. but then again the problems I have with that one is more about the game crashing than being overwhelmed most of the time and that button won't save you from a crash.

so count me in as a "shrug"
scherbchen

Postby monopoman » 01 Jan 2010, 11:26

This is more powerful then giving people the opportunity to say save the game once throughout the entire challenge.

So really I think your putting out a small pile of papers on fire with a fire hose. When you should be considering a glass of water.
monopoman

Postby 240sxforever » 01 Jan 2010, 21:19

For me it would be worth a nod. If it could be implemented i would prefer it. But as one who plays some decks with hour long games loosing in round 8 to a crash or the like can cost me 2 days work.
240sxforever

Postby gmzombie » 01 Jan 2010, 21:37

i gave the nod to having it. i know i know im on here so much but to tell you the truth im having fun doing what i can to mod this thing more than paly the damn game...lol i finally grabbed some decks known to win the challanges but have yet to get through the 1st challange...but it is fun either way
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Postby 240sxforever » 02 Jan 2010, 00:02

For me it would be worth a nod. If it could be implemented i would prefer it. But as one who plays some decks with hour long games loosing in round 8 to a crash or the like can cost me 2 days work.
Let me clarify, there should have been a sentence where i prefered a save option. that would make the post intelligible.

so... Prefer a save function.
not a big fan of the reset button...

That makes more sense.
240sxforever

Postby stassy » 04 Jan 2010, 05:03

There should a poll about what specific challenge would need a reset button aka which challenge can't be beaten by an uber 1 turn kill and need a keeper/mill/life style deck.

Of course I agree for putting the reset button only for 5:1 :mrgreen:
stassy

Postby aww1979 » 04 Jan 2010, 20:38

I already voted against the reset button, but that was for current challenges. If you designed a future challenge that was extremely difficult, you might be able to add in a reset button for that challenge (or similar feature) because then the challenge would have been designed with that in mind and would be more balanced. The current challenges were not designed with a reset button in mind, so they would be too easy, except maybe Land Ho :p
aww1979
Tester

Postby Fracturedorb » 03 Feb 2010, 16:52

I'm a bit late on this but my problem with the challenges has always been the fact that the game crashes a lot... or at least used to. I don't know what happened near the end of last year but now the game RARELY crashes during a duel now. Usually when it does it's beacuse I clicked something wrong which is avoidable. Also if anyone is curous I run Vista on a Laptop. The game still crashes but it does so on startup. It might even crash up to 6 times when I try and load it but even with that I'm into the game within like 30 seconds which is freeking sweet if you compare that to other games these days.

I've unlocked about 4 or 5 cards so far and I actually like the challenge mode now. It does give the game a better point to it now and I see what Jatill was going for. Hell some of these challenges are showing me some decks I didn' even kow existed (That dredge deck someone used to beat the cascade challenge is obscene).
Fracturedorb

Postby Enchanteur » 05 Mar 2010, 10:13

HEY !
No reset button is needed.

What I really need : It's the possibility to SAVE and LOAD a challenge gauntlet.

My MagicTG crash with regularity in duels, I can't play 10 duels without a possible crash.
So I can't waste my time to play Challenges and loose the match because a bug crash.
Enchanteur

Postby Xanathar » 07 Mar 2010, 13:31

I have a save/load button in MTG (so, I admit to mild cheating ;)). For me, it's the only way to get to the end of a challenge without crashes.

What I do, basically, is using a Windows XP installed in VirtualBox and taking snapshots.

You have also the option of no cheating : if you take the snapshot after the round has started, nothing will change so it can be hardly used for replaying a match unless it's to undo a blunder/mistake. If you take the snapshot at the end of the match before, instead, you get a different enemy everytime you reload.

To me this makes the challenges funny and interesting, but your mileage may vary.
Xanathar

Postby Enchanteur » 08 Mar 2010, 11:25

Xanathar wrote:I have a save/load button in MTG (so, I admit to mild cheating ;)). For me, it's the only way to get to the end of a challenge without crashes.

I know, but it don't work.. when I load a saved game, It don't load, and return to principal menu screen.
So I believed that save/load was removed...
Enchanteur

Next

Return to Decks, Strategy and Challenges