It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:42

Text Size

Possible to unlock cards w/o going through Challenge Mode?

Guides/Support for Challenges,Discuss General Strategy or just share your Deck ideas.
PLEASE "SEARCH" BEFORE YOU POST!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Possible to unlock cards w/o going through Challenge Mode?

Postby luckylavs » 21 Aug 2013, 02:07

I noticed some cards in the deckbuilder are "locked."
I guess the game wants you to unlock them in challenge mode in the gauntlet.

But then there are all these restrictions about what cards you are allowed to have in your deck for a challenge match (otherwise you lose instantly), plus the challenge's own requirements -- such as you have to win 12 times in a row starting with only 2 cards in your hand.

Is there a way I can just unlock the cards I want, for example in manalink.csv or some other way? I just want to use the locked cards in my deck, but I don't want to go build a special deck to use for challenge mode, go through like 800 rounds of magic where I'm trying to win starting with only 2 cards in my hand... get frustrated because I won 7 games and lost in round 8, just to unlock one single magic card that I want to use. Going through challenge sounds to me like several "throw the keyboard at the computer screen" moments, with lots of wasted time in between.

Anyone have any ideas?
luckylavs

Re: Possible to unlock cards w/o going through Challenge Mod

Postby stassy » 21 Aug 2013, 04:09

Moved topic to appropriate section.

In this section you have a thread for each Challenges and decks used to beat them without having to create one.
stassy

Postby ozks » 28 Aug 2013, 01:04

Send me a PM.
ozks

Postby HarlequinCasts » 29 Aug 2013, 20:30

I too kinda wish that locked cards were only locked in challenge mode. Thus unlocking cards means you can build stronger decks to unlock other cards.

Being forced to skip a locked card while you are doing sealed or draft is really annoying and totally tangential to the idea of locking cards. (For example Leatherback Baloth in a worldwake draft).
HarlequinCasts

Postby AngryDragon » 06 Nov 2014, 18:56

Could someone pm me instructions for unlocking cards without going thru the challenges?
AngryDragon

Postby Nexhro » 06 Nov 2014, 21:56

AngryDragon wrote:Could someone pm me instructions for unlocking cards without going thru the challenges?
Check your inbox ;)
Nexhro

Postby cacho » 06 Nov 2014, 23:33

Nexhro wrote:
AngryDragon wrote:Could someone pm me instructions for unlocking cards without going thru the challenges?
Check your inbox ;)
Nexhro, could you tell me too? :)
Thanks!
cacho

Postby Nexhro » 07 Nov 2014, 00:53

cacho wrote:Nexhro, could you tell me too? :)
Thanks!
PM sent.
Nexhro

Postby baka » 08 Dec 2014, 19:01

yeah, same here. could someone PM me?

unfortunately the challenges are way too hard.
no matter deck, i can't win all rounds. when i get some "luck" and i win a few times, then the game freezes or something else happens (like i win, and instead of proceeding to the next round it just go out to the main menu)
why the need to make the challenges impossible? do you feel good about yourself doing impossible games?
should not a game be about enjoyment and that you are able to win?

and no, i have tried the decks that some people are sharing, but i can't win with that either.
and remember that even if you do a super-deck, you also need luck to get the right cards. to be lucky 20 turns is crazy!
i have already posted something about the challenges, but i know some of you love it. but im sure that the majority of the people thinks its bad and frustrating. why let a good game like this be bad because of a few elite-thinking-people?
baka

Postby Nexhro » 08 Dec 2014, 21:43

Hello baka,

There's really no reason to insult anyone. Some people like the sense of progreesion and accomplishment they get from beating the challenges, and others prefer to have all cards unlocked without spending time (and nerves) on them. Also, please keep in mind that the people responsible for coding, artwok integration etc do all of the required work in their free time and receive zero compensation for doing so.

I personally think the challenges pose a nice gameplay element and are a fun way to improve/test your deckbuilding skills. And for people like you, to whom they are more of a nuisance, there's this thread (or this one).

PM sent - hope that'll cheer you up :)
Nexhro

Postby baka » 09 Dec 2014, 15:35

first, thanks for the file. :)

well that is obvious all that you say, but why the need to make it impossible?
i have played this game many years and won only a few challenges and thats because of extreme luck. 99% of the times i loose or the game freezes or something unknown happens so i need to restart.

should not the challenges be for everyone? or this game is created for a few elite players?
i have created decks that you can win in 2 rounds if you get the right cards from start, rarely it takes more then 5 rounds to win, even so its impossible to get 10 straight wins when AI in 2 rounds defeats you. you really need to get the exact right cards the first turn otherwise its a loose. should it be like that? its not about skills, its about pure luck.

usually the decks that i can get from the threads are "weaker" then my own, even so i can't win with either, as AI is too strong.
some guys makes guides how good they are, but the decks are not that good, how so? i have played magic for 20 years and i consider myself a "mediocre" player as i usually wins against my friends in irl competitions. when i play other magic the gathering games i usually wins. but here i loose all the time no matter what and i have so many cards to use.

so, why not make different challenges, novice up to expert. at the moment everything is locked and i can't get past the first challenge.
baka

Postby stassy » 10 Dec 2014, 06:45

Well, to advocate for the challenge winner decks, don't forget that those decks (and challenges) were created with the current pool of cards available at the post date, so that doesn't include recent additions.

Also those challenges were created because at that time , the AI was no challenge at all in normal Duel Mode even at "max wizard difficulty" (still as of now, the AI is no challenge unless it has a specific counterpick deck against you).

Most of the rewards from the challenge were "extra", as a specific coded card commissioned by the player who could win one (at that time, we were still in the 2k cards limit so creating new cards was difficult because it would mean removing existing ones)
stassy

Postby baka » 10 Dec 2014, 22:59

it would be good to have the ability to restart the game after you loose. say you win 8/10 and you loose the 9th game. when you play again, with the same deck, same challenge, you should get an option to "start from 9/10, doing so, you will not be able to unlock any cards". at least we can enjoy playing a challenge until the end instead of redoing the same match over and over again until you get lucky enough to win all 10 in a row.
baka

Postby stassy » 11 Dec 2014, 04:39

This was heavily discussed long time ago, about a possible reset mode, savegame, etc...unfortunately, challenge mode is a mod from a very old game which isn't even fully reverse engineered so it's hard to come with something without issues and bugs, and there are still some as of today that make limited option to dev
stassy

Postby baka » 13 Dec 2014, 01:01

i always wondered why you don't make your own executable, you can still use all the files and even use the same formats to make it compatible. making your own would give you more freedom. isn't it hard to hijack the old game anyway?

the ui and all the cards are not hard to code, i could do it easily using visual basic 6, the hard part is of course the AI, to understand all the cards. there need to be a reason why you don't decide to do your own executable i suppose. well now im not in topic, but its a bit related because that would make it easier to adjust the challenges.
baka

Next

Return to Decks, Strategy and Challenges