It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:25

Text Size

Can we re-examine challenge mode?

Guides/Support for Challenges,Discuss General Strategy or just share your Deck ideas.
PLEASE "SEARCH" BEFORE YOU POST!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Should Challenge Mode Be Re-examined?

Yes, it is not good enough in its current incarnation.
59%
No, it is good they way it is now.
41%

Total votes : 39

Re: Can we re-examine challenge mode?

Postby Enchanteur » 22 Mar 2010, 08:58

RanDomino wrote:I really don't like having to complete luck-dependent challenges (both from impossible matchups and crashes) in order to play certain cards, but I like the idea of a format where there's some kind of progression instead of just being pure sandbox.

What about rebuilding Shandalar from scratch? It wouldn't (nor should it) have to be exactly the same, but just with the same concept- running around like it's Final Fantasy, but fighting monsters by playing Magic, and instead of items and skills you have cards; then, Shandalar's dungeons could be replaced by places you go to encounter the challenges to unlock certain cards and formats- for example, the "Dungeon of That's Big," in which you basically play the "That's Big..." challenge, including deckbuilding restrictions. Or the "Dungeon of Enter the Dragon" to unlock EDH on the game's main menu.

That way, no one complains that they can't play certain cards (since they're all unlocked in sandbox mode), and jatill gets a mode where you have to earn cards.

I doubt that Shandalar can be re-made using the old Microprose game as a base, but Shandalar is such a great game, even today, and I wish I knew enough programming to just reconstruct it myself...
YES ! exactly what I would like !!!
- Because Shandalar is broken (it's not funny to beat IA with unlimited broken Type1 cards).
- Because my game crash and I can't end challenges.
- Because I can't always use same computer, so if I win a challenge on a computer, there is no repercussions on another one.
- Because I like the idea of a "story", a progression, purchasing cards, alterate game with stranges rules, handicaps, etc...
Enchanteur

Re: Can we re-examine challenge mode?

Postby juzamjedi » 22 Mar 2010, 22:29

I have not beaten all of the challenges yet, but I believe you can defeat them all. It seems that Jatill made the challenges with certain Vintage archetypes in mind and it's your job to figure out which one fits the challenge. If you don't know Vintage archetypes I might suggest you look over at deckcheck.net
juzamjedi
Tester

Previous

Return to Decks, Strategy and Challenges