It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 11:24

Text Size

Challenge Difficulty Rating - set 1 completed (on 2 now)

Guides/Support for Challenges,Discuss General Strategy or just share your Deck ideas.
PLEASE "SEARCH" BEFORE YOU POST!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Challenge Difficulty Rating - up to challenge 1-3

Postby jatill » 12 Jan 2011, 14:12

That's a good idea... but be warned that Pit Fighting is a tough one.
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby frankzappa » 12 Jan 2011, 14:55

Could you suggest some deck tips for pit fighting? I couldnt find any in the decks forum. My current deck isn't too bad, but still not reliable enough. Furthest I've got is round 7.
frankzappa

Postby Cognis » 12 Jan 2011, 21:21

I think I used a tendrils deck, I think it's the same one, or similar to the on I beat Onslaught with, it's somewhere in there, just change Goblin Welder for something else and you should be fine, also you can add Mox Opal to the deck since it has enough artifacts in it and I don't know if I have Wheel of Fortune in it.
Cognis
Tester

Postby juzamjedi » 13 Jan 2011, 00:00

I have been playing all of the challenges without "peeking" at deck lists other people have used to win. In my opinion the most frustrating challenge is 5:1 by a pretty large margin. Even when you know the conditions for winning a round you have to hope you meet the condition and win before the game crashes that match.

I used to think I was a decent player. But I have been attempting 5:1 for months (literally) and haven't beaten it yet. I am not the type to get upset about losing, but when the game hangs / crashes during a 1 hour challenge it is really frustrating.
juzamjedi
Tester

Postby Cognis » 13 Jan 2011, 00:28

I made it to round 10 and was about to win when Yawgmoth's Will crashed my game.
Cognis
Tester

Postby jatill » 13 Jan 2011, 12:59

juzamjedi wrote:I have been playing all of the challenges without "peeking" at deck lists other people have used to win. In my opinion the most frustrating challenge is 5:1 by a pretty large margin. Even when you know the conditions for winning a round you have to hope you meet the condition and win before the game crashes that match.

I used to think I was a decent player. But I have been attempting 5:1 for months (literally) and haven't beaten it yet. I am not the type to get upset about losing, but when the game hangs / crashes during a 1 hour challenge it is really frustrating.
Agreed. 5:1 was a nice idea (I think), but the crashes make it awful. At some point I will replcae it with the Eldrazi challenge.
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby frankzappa » 13 Jan 2011, 13:26

Cognis wrote:I think I used a tendrils deck, I think it's the same one, or similar to the on I beat Onslaught with, it's somewhere in there, just change Goblin Welder for something else and you should be fine, also you can add Mox Opal to the deck since it has enough artifacts in it and I don't know if I have Wheel of Fortune in it.
Thanks I'll give that a try.

juzamjedi wrote:I have been playing all of the challenges without "peeking" at deck lists other people have used to win. In my opinion the most frustrating challenge is 5:1 by a pretty large margin. Even when you know the conditions for winning a round you have to hope you meet the condition and win before the game crashes that match.

They all crash for me. It's hard because half the time I fail from a bad draw or the opponent gets lucky or whatever, and the other half the time the game crashes. I've been trying for about a month too and haven't won a single challenge yet. I'm going to focus on that scorpion until I win.
frankzappa

Re: Challenge Difficulty Rating - uo tp challenge 1-1

Postby scorpionx1 » 20 Jan 2011, 12:44

jatill wrote:Challenge 2-3: That's Big
Attempts: 1
Difficulty: 1
Luck Factor: 1
Frustration Factor: 1
Time to complete successful run: 30 minutes
Comments: A cakewalk with the right deck. I beat Gaddock Teeg, and I beat turn 1-4 Relentless Rats on the draw. The hardest match was actually Turbofog!
You are smoking something man! goblins kills you on turn 3 or 4 if you are lucky! Post your one attempt deck please!
scorpionx1

Re: Challenge Difficulty Rating - up to challenge 1-6

Postby jatill » 20 Jan 2011, 13:09

When I'm done I'll post my entire deck set.
jatill
DEVELOPER

Re: Challenge Difficulty Rating - uo tp challenge 1-1

Postby scorpionx1 » 21 Jan 2011, 10:32

jatill wrote:Challenge 2-3: That's Big
Attempts: 1
Difficulty: 1
Luck Factor: 1
Frustration Factor: 1
Time to complete successful run: 30 minutes
Comments: A cakewalk with the right deck. I beat Gaddock Teeg, and I beat turn 1-4 Relentless Rats on the draw. The hardest match was actually Turbofog!
I finally beat this challenge after like the 15th try and the 6th version of my deck. Jeez, was praying for AI mana screw. If you use this deck, I recommend mulligan if you don't see a turn 2 or 3 play in your hand plus some allowance for drawing the cards you need in the first two turns. Dark Depths is in there for fun as you need something to do with all the Urzatron mana if you get into a stalemate (only helped me once but it was fun!).

Code: Select all
;TC_thats_big6
;
;Scorpion
;User E-Mail
;21/01/2011
;1
;4th Edition
;

.528   1   Strip Mine
.1710   2   Ancient Tomb
.510   4   Mishra's Workshop
.245   3   All Is Dust
.529   4   Su-Chi
.81   4   Lodestone Golem
.1308   2   Platinum Angel
.955   4   Wurmcoil Engine
.821   3   Phyrexian Processor
.317   1   Tolarian Academy
.541   4   Urza's Mine
.543   4   Urza's Power Plant
.544   4   Urza's Tower
.1207   4   Solemn Simulacrum
.931   2   Dancing Scimitar
.126   4   Island
.1216   4   Seat of the Synod
.999   4   Concentrate
.1844   1   Dark Depths
.438   1   Library of Alexandria

scorpionx1

Re: Challenge Difficulty Rating - set 1 completed, workong o

Postby jatill » 21 Jan 2011, 15:12

Challenge set 1 complete.
jatill
DEVELOPER

Re: Challenge Difficulty Rating - set 1 completed (on 2 now)

Postby frankzappa » 02 Feb 2011, 17:04

I gave up on the challenges, too hard for me and not fun. I don't think they are a good idea because to some of us, MTG is all about playing with fun cards and having fun games with ups and downs, not just winning in 2 or 3 turns which is all most of these challenges are about.

Imo you should have made the challenges like the ones in Duels of the Planeswalkers, or just made them optional. As a result of not being able to play with some of my favourite cards, I just don't bother playing this game anymore.

It's also a pity that after losing over and over in these challenges, I try to play normal none challenge games, and the AI is so hopeless that it never wins even against decks that I just threw together without much thought.
frankzappa

Postby juzamjedi » 02 Feb 2011, 18:06

frankzappa wrote:It's also a pity that after losing over and over in these challenges, I try to play normal none challenge games, and the AI is so hopeless that it never wins even against decks that I just threw together without much thought.
I agree the AI is very weak. But that's one of the reasons I like playing the challenges. If the AI is so obviously terrible it needs some help to win.

Granted that some of the challenges are really hard. Some of them are very interesting too. The challenges with deckbuilding restrictions were the most fun for me to play; the ones where the AI gets some kind of advantage are probably the more annoying ones.
juzamjedi
Tester

Postby thedrigo » 02 Feb 2011, 21:04

frankzappa wrote:I gave up on the challenges, too hard for me and not fun. I don't think they are a good idea because to some of us, MTG is all about playing with fun cards and having fun games with ups and downs, not just winning in 2 or 3 turns which is all most of these challenges are about.

Imo you should have made the challenges like the ones in Duels of the Planeswalkers, or just made them optional. As a result of not being able to play with some of my favourite cards, I just don't bother playing this game anymore.
I believe most of the people on this forum do think the challenges are fun. In my case, that mode is all I play because the AI is so retarded. My fun comes from trying to beat the challenges with different kinds of decks. If you don't wanna play by the general rules set by the people who made it possible for the locked cards to exist in the first place, then you DEFINITELY shouldn't bother playing this game anymore.
thedrigo

Postby Cognis » 03 Feb 2011, 00:01

I understand that before some locked cards were really important for decks like Bloobdraid Elf or Bituminous Blast but mostly none of the locked cards are vital to any deck and especially now when Gargaroz added two massive updates. Serum Powder is one the most difficult cards to unlock but you only need it if you play challenges. Conundrum Sphinx is a fun card but you can live without it. Maybe before the cards that were locked were vital but now you can make hundreds of decks without actually needing to unlock anything.
Cognis
Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Decks, Strategy and Challenges