It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 21:20

Text Size

Dominion .NET (by Rio Grande Games)

A version of Asmadi Games' game by jatill

Moderators: Huggybaby, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Dominion .NET (by Rio Grande Games)

Postby Cogline » 28 Oct 2011, 10:45

I tried to play the game on a computer without internet connection and the game will not start, do you know any reason for this?
Cogline

Postby Jurek » 28 Oct 2011, 15:42

Cogline wrote:I tried to play the game on a computer without internet connection and the game will not start, do you know any reason for this?
It's likely that it was trying to connect to look for updates. I'll fix that when I release an update for Hinterlands and Governor (which is in the process of testing right now).
Jurek
DEVELOPER

Postby Jurek » 20 Nov 2011, 20:06

I have just deployed & released revision 133 for general consumption. Hinterlands has been completely implemented, with all the strange interactions between the different "when you gain this", "when you buy this", and "if you are about to gain" cards. Also, all interactions where multiple cards are able to be handled are resolved in the player's own choice of ordering.

Of note is that buying a card with a Buy interaction (e.g. Farmland) and then revealing Trader and taking a Silver instead is handled properly, as is the interaction with Ironworks and Trader.

Also updated is a new tab on the Settings page to allow players to see which cards belong to specific Sets, Categories, and Groups (all of which are used in Constraints)

The link on the first post should still work to get the latest version, and the program itself should be able to find and silently notify the player that there's a new version (and download/install it as well).

The AI has not been updated yet (I wanted to get this out before I dove into that), so in general, it is pretty atrocious with the new cards. More to come on that front.

Also, Governor will be implemented shortly and possibly Archivist (I don't know if I want to head down the road of implementing and supporting fan cards).
Jurek
DEVELOPER

Postby Cogline » 23 Nov 2011, 11:29

I played masquerade and got a province from the player to the right, I guess that should not happen.
Cogline

Postby Jurek » 23 Nov 2011, 14:21

Cogline wrote:I played masquerade and got a province from the player to the right, I guess that should not happen.
You're absolutely correct. The latest update (to r135) fixes a lot of bonehead AI decision-making, including Masquerade.
Jurek
DEVELOPER

Postby wayneeckman » 28 Nov 2011, 20:13

Jurek,
I enjoyed playing your version of Dominion on my PC. Are you planning to make the colony and platinum cards available? Also, is there a way to isolate which expansions (or the base set) you want to play or to select combinations of the various expansions/base set?
wayneeckman

Postby Jurek » 28 Nov 2011, 22:54

wayneeckman wrote:Are you planning to make the colony and platinum cards available?
Colony & Platinum are used according to the Prosperity rules, which state:
Dominion Prosperity rules wrote:If a mix of Kingdom cards from Prosperity and other sets are being used, then the inclusion of Platinum and Colony in the Supply should be determined randomly, based on the proportion of Prosperity and non-Prosperity cards in use. For example, choose a random Kingdom card being used - such as the first card dealt out from the Randomizer deck - and if it is from Prosperity, add Platinum and Colony to the Supply.
If you want to ensure that they're used, use 10 Kingdom cards from the Prosperity set. (see below for more details)

wayneeckman wrote:Also, is there a way to isolate which expansions (or the base set) you want to play or to select combinations of the various expansions/base set?
There most certainly is! If you go to Game->Settings, it will open up a settings page. On the 4th tab, titled "Kingdom Card Setup", there is a box called "Card choice constraints". This section is where you can tell the game any number of constraints you want to place on the Kingdom card selection. Clicking the "Add new constraint" creates a new line for specifying a number of things:
  • Must use Card -- Tells the game that this card MUST be used in the chosen set
  • Cannot use Card -- Tells the game that this card CANNOT be used in the chosen set
  • Card is in Set -- Tells the game how many cards to use in the given set (Base, Intrigue, Seaside, Alchemy, Prosperity, Cornucopia, Hinterlands, & Promotional)
  • Card Type is -- Tells the game how many cards to use that ARE a particular type, exactly. For example, Gardens is a Victory card, but Harem is not (it's a Victory/Treasure card)
  • Card Type has -- Tells the game how many cards to use that HAVEa particular type, exactly. For example, both Gardens (a Victory card) and Harem (a Victory/Treasure) have Victory as a type
  • Card costs -- Tells the game how many cards to use that cost exactly the specified amount
  • Card cost contains Potion -- Tells the game how many cards to use that have Potion in their cost
  • Card is in Group -- Tells the game how many cards to use that are in the Group specified

For a break-down of which cards are in a given Set, Type, or Group, see the "Set & Group Information" tab in the Settings window. Constraints can overlap, provided there is some way for the game to choose 10 Kingdom cards that satisfy them all. For example, I can set up a constraint that enforces 8-10 Action cards and exactly 3 Victory cards, which will force the game to select at least one of Great Hall, Island, or Nobles.
Jurek
DEVELOPER

Postby Jurek » 12 Dec 2011, 20:17

I have just pushed out a fix for the auto-updater, since it was always showing an update was available after updating. Hopefully, this hasn't affected too many people.
Jurek
DEVELOPER

Postby nharwell » 16 Dec 2011, 21:53

For some reason I've not been able to get this to work fully. The game launches ok but I can never get it to let me buy anything, regardless of where I click. If I end the turn, I'm notified that I still have $ left, but I still can't seem to purchase any cards.

I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit, and have tried running the game in Windows XP compatibility mode & with administrator rights. Nothing seems to change the functionality. Any suggestions?
nharwell

Postby Jurek » 16 Dec 2011, 23:47

nharwell wrote:For some reason I've not been able to get this to work fully. The game launches ok but I can never get it to let me buy anything, regardless of where I click. If I end the turn, I'm notified that I still have $ left, but I still can't seem to purchase any cards.

I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit, and have tried running the game in Windows XP compatibility mode & with administrator rights. Nothing seems to change the functionality. Any suggestions?
I'm not exactly sure. I'm developing it on Windows 7 in both 32-bit and 64-bit environments, so I'm fairly certain Windows 7 and 64-bit are not the issues. I have not tried running it as a user other than one under the Administrator group -- that may or may not have some issues with it. Can you perhaps attach a screenshot or two?

Here are a few that I took showing what should be clicked on.
Clicking on either the Copper cards or the "Play Basic Treasures" will play your Coppers (clicking on a specific card will only play 1 of those cards; not the whole stack):

After I clicked the "Play Basic Treasures" button, my Tableau now contains all 3 Copper cards and the Great Hall has been highlighted and has a small blue triangle with a white + overlay in the bottom right corner. Clicking anywhere on the icon of the Great Hall (not the text) will buy it.
Jurek
DEVELOPER

Postby nharwell » 17 Dec 2011, 00:09

I'll take some screenshots when I get a chance. I can play the treasures - I just can't seem to select any cards to purchase. In other words, clicking on the card(s) I want to purchase doesn't do anything, whether I click on the picture or the little "+" icon.
nharwell

Postby Jurek » 17 Dec 2011, 00:19

I think you're not the only one who's had a similar issue. I'm in the process of testing an update that's meant to address that (among many other improvements).

Your mouse should change from the default pointer to a hand icon to signify that you can click on it. If it doesn't, I know I've sometimes had to move the mouse cursor off the card image and then back over it again for it to register.
Jurek
DEVELOPER

Postby nharwell » 17 Dec 2011, 00:45

Yep, that's the problem - the cursor never changes from a pointer to a hand. Moving it around the screen doesn't help.
nharwell

Postby Jurek » 18 Dec 2011, 20:52

nharwell wrote:Yep, that's the problem - the cursor never changes from a pointer to a hand. Moving it around the screen doesn't help.
OK, I've released another update. I hope this will finally solve your problem.
Jurek
DEVELOPER

Postby nharwell » 20 Dec 2011, 22:42

That did it! Works like a charm. Thanks.
nharwell

PreviousNext

Return to Dominion