It is currently 04 Jun 2024, 13:43

Text Size

I discovered a deck limitation in DotP 2014

New decks and cards for Stainless Games' release

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Re: I discovered a deck limitation in DotP 2014

Postby tarutaru » 09 Jul 2013, 04:12

RiiakShiNal wrote:Version 1.1.0.0 is now up and there are a couple of important changes in this version:
  • Default deck availability has been changed from Always Available to Locked due to an issue with DotP 2014 only allowing so many decks with the always_available="true" attribute. Decks should still be unlocked by default due to setting the steam_id_1 to 213850 unless availability is set to Never Available.
  • Will now mark decks as being in a content pack equal to the Id Block (or Deck Id Change if not using Id Blocks) specified in the Options window.
  • Will now create a "Content Pack Enabler" wad on deck export so that the decks will be recognized by the game with the new content pack settings.

Hopefully this will now solve the crash issues experienced by people for decks exported from this builder. This does not change any previously exported wads, to have changes take effect on those you will need to re-export them.

This also (obviously) does not change any other modders' mods so if one of their wads was causing a crash this update won't change that, you'll just have to wait until they change their own mods.
RiiakShiNal wrote:The deck limitation is due to having too many decks in content pack 0 with always_available="true". This can be overcome in a few ways:
  • Use a cracked version of the game (specifically the 3DM version). You can't play regular Steam multiplayer this way because you're using a cracked version.
  • Remove the always_available="true" from some of the decks that have it and unlock them in another way (such as setting steam_id_1="213850").
  • Move some of the decks into another content pack and then unlock that content pack. Content pack is not a Wad and a Wad is not a content pack. Instructions on how to create a new content pack.
I wonder if modders can come up with a separate content pack for their decks, instead of new decks being added to Core? That would save us having to unpack wads and moving/editing decks around in order to avoid a crash. Riiak has very helpfully updated their deck builder so that block UID decks are exported as a separate content pack from Core. Can modders follow in the same footsteps? Of course I'm assuming that there is no limit on the number of content packs and/or no limit on the number of decks allowed in a content pack other than Core.

If I recall correctly this is what we did with Dotp 2013 and 2012.
tarutaru

Postby thefiremind » 09 Jul 2013, 09:09

tarutaru wrote:I wonder if modders can come up with a separate content pack for their decks
Of course I'll do that, now that I know how. :)
< Former DotP 2012/2013/2014 modder >
Currently busy with life...
thefiremind
Programmer

Postby RiiakShiNal » 09 Jul 2013, 12:37

tarutaru wrote:I wonder if modders can come up with a separate content pack for their decks, instead of new decks being added to Core? ... Can modders follow in the same footsteps?
Well, obviously I'm planning to.

tarutaru wrote:Of course I'm assuming that there is no limit on the number of content packs and/or no limit on the number of decks allowed in a content pack other than Core.
There is obviously a limit on the number of content packs (though it is not a limit we are ever likely to hit as it is likely between ~2.1 billion and ~4.2 billion depending on whether it is signed or not).

Right now I'm operating under the assumption that other content packs have the same limits as content pack 0 (that the 10th deck with always_available="true" will cause a crash), so I also set the deck builder to default to availability locked (though decks should still be unlocked due to steam_id_1 being set to 213850) to suppress the always_available="true" attribute.

tarutaru wrote:If I recall correctly this is what we did with Dotp 2013 and 2012.
I know we did not do this for DotP 2013 (2013 did not have this crash problem so we just put everything in content pack 0), though I don't know about DotP 2012.
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Postby thefiremind » 09 Jul 2013, 13:28

RiiakShiNal wrote:Right now I'm operating under the assumption that other content packs have the same limits as content pack 0 (that the 10th deck with always_available="true" will cause a crash), so I also set the deck builder to default to availability locked (though decks should still be unlocked due to steam_id_1 being set to 213850) to suppress the always_available="true" attribute.
If it's so, then we can just use multiple content packs for our mods... we have enough available IDs to do that. I have set my first decks to content pack 1990 and I wrote in the Wiki that I'm reserving IDs from 1990 to 1999... I don't think I'll make 100 decks, though. :lol:
< Former DotP 2012/2013/2014 modder >
Currently busy with life...
thefiremind
Programmer

Postby RiiakShiNal » 09 Jul 2013, 13:45

thefiremind wrote:If it's so, then we can just use multiple content packs for our mods... we have enough available IDs to do that. I have set my first decks to content pack 1990 and I wrote in the Wiki that I'm reserving IDs from 1990 to 1999... I don't think I'll make 100 decks, though. :lol:
I'm not sure any one person has ever made 100 decks or more for any of the DotP games. So I don't think anyone is going to judge you if you can't make that many. :roll:

Though if we don't use the always_available="true" attribute we should (theoretically) be able to put as many decks as we want in each content pack.

For now I'll just stick with my 8192, though if I need more packs I'll just get another number (probably just move up one unless someone else takes it first, which I kind of doubt).
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Postby Rick » 09 Jul 2013, 18:12

RiiakShiNal wrote:Right now I'm operating under the assumption that other content packs have the same limits as content pack 0 (that the 10th deck with always_available="true" will cause a crash), so I also set the deck builder to default to availability locked (though decks should still be unlocked due to steam_id_1 being set to 213850) to suppress the always_available="true" attribute.
That specific crash I looked into only applied to content pack 0, though there's always the possibility of other issues.
gibbed
Rick
Programmer

Postby RiiakShiNal » 09 Jul 2013, 18:16

That's good to know, thanks.
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Previous

Return to Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers