It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 15:57

Text Size

DOTP 2014 Crash Dumps

New decks and cards for Stainless Games' release

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

DOTP 2014 Crash Dumps

Postby Umberger » 27 Sep 2013, 23:41

Is there a way to get useful information out of these? With how many mods are out now and all of the updates that come out, it's getting a bit cumbersome to manually troubleshoot (i.e. deleting a deck/DATA_DLC, restarting, etc) and I'd prefer not to start from scratch then add one mod at a time if possible.
Umberger

Re: DOTP 2014 Crash Dumps

Postby RiiakShiNal » 28 Sep 2013, 00:31

The crash dumps are only really useful if you have source code to the game as the dump allows the developers to trace down to the line where the crash occurred, but for us modders that don't have the source code I haven't been able to find any way to get useful information out of them.
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Postby Umberger » 28 Sep 2013, 00:32

RiiakShiNal wrote:The crash dumps are only really useful if you have source code to the game as the dump allows the developers to trace down to the line where the crash occurred, but for us modders that don't have the source code I haven't been able to find any way to get useful information out of them.
Rats, manually troubleshooting it is. Thanks anyways.
Umberger

Postby GrovyleXShinyCelebi » 28 Sep 2013, 01:52

In my experience two of the main reasons crash dumps occur are when there's a card using tokens without the token registration block, and if you're using a card with a color in its CMC that isn't in the deck it's in (ie Simic Sky Swallower in a deck with only Plains), so it's worth checking for those issues first (especially the first one).

If there's a minor syntax error usually you'll just get an error message immediately upon exiting out of the game, and if a card has a significant syntax error it won't show in-game (which also may cause crash dumps - these error are able to be caught be Mozilla Firefox most of the time).
GrovyleXShinyCelebi

Postby Umberger » 30 Sep 2013, 00:06

GrovyleXShinyCelebi wrote:In my experience two of the main reasons crash dumps occur are when there's a card using tokens without the token registration block, and if you're using a card with a color in its CMC that isn't in the deck it's in (ie Simic Sky Swallower in a deck with only Plains), so it's worth checking for those issues first (especially the first one).

If there's a minor syntax error usually you'll just get an error message immediately upon exiting out of the game, and if a card has a significant syntax error it won't show in-game (which also may cause crash dumps - these error are able to be caught be Mozilla Firefox most of the time).
The weird thing is, in trying to start online matches sometimes the game will crash. It doesn't seem to matter what I do. If I start up the game, then host a MP match there is just a 80/20 chance that it will crash or not. Between successive attempts I will not do anything different or change any files and it will crash. I was just wondering if there would be any way to figure out what is causing that but I guess not.

e: While we're here, is there any way to make 5 color decks work right? Any time I make one the game auto-assigns land such that there are like 200+ of one type. It's especially annoying since if I wanted to play it I would need to edit it each time I loaded the game, and then on top of that the game crashes a majority of the time on host.

e2: For what it's worth, it seems like deleting the Documents\Wizards of the Coast\Magic the Gathering\Magic 2014 folder stops the game from crashing on loading a lobby. Even if there isn't anything in that folder (or any of its sub-folders) it seems to fix it. Have to do it after every match but it's progress.
Umberger

Postby Draganosis » 05 Sep 2016, 19:59

So I just started this earlier today..... Im a total noob at modding so bear with me... What do i do to fix the crashes and dumps? is there a way to view the dmp file to figure out why? Ill attatch my dmp file.. It crashes in multiplayer... Cant host or join my brother has all the exact same files and we want to play.. Please help
Draganosis

Postby Xander9009 » 06 Sep 2016, 08:39

Draganosis wrote:So I just started this earlier today..... Im a total noob at modding so bear with me... What do i do to fix the crashes and dumps? is there a way to view the dmp file to figure out why? Ill attatch my dmp file.. It crashes in multiplayer... Cant host or join my brother has all the exact same files and we want to play.. Please help
Sorry for the delay. I saw this, but i was heading to bed at the time.

One thing you can try is opening RiiakShiNal's Deck Builder. When it opens, it runs a series of checks on your files to find many kinds of errors and report those in a very useful manner. If your deck builder loads up completely without showing any errors, then let us know. Otherwise, copy and paste the errors it shows you into a [ spoiler=Errors][ /spoiler] tag (without the spaces), so we can look at those.

If the above shows no errors, then right here is what I'd have you do. Make a folder in your game directory and move all of your decks to that folder. (Name it whatever you want; I usually use TEMP since it will be deleted soon). Try to run the game and see if it crashes. If it does, move some of those decks back to the TEMP folder. Keep moving decks back and forth trying to narrow down the exact deck at which the game crashes.

If it crashes with no decks in the game folder, let us know.
Xander9009
Programmer

Return to Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers