It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 11:30

Text Size

Is it possible to program DotP for different game formats

New decks and cards for Stainless Games' release

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Is it possible to program DotP for different game formats

Postby mr friendly guy » 14 Jul 2014, 15:10

This is most probably not doable, but you never know if you don't ask.

In DoTP 2012 - there was free for all, 2 headed giant, archenemy mode
In DotP 2013 - there was free for all, 2 headed giant and planechase mode
In DoTP 2014 - there was free for all, 2 headed giant and also sealed deck play.

What would be great is if wizards could save all these different modes of play for subsequent DoTP releases. I would even pay extra money for a DLC that does this. Because I got in at DotP 2013 I never played archenemy mode, until I recently downloaded DoTP 2012 with DLC allowing me to play as the archenemy.

Is it possible for say create an archenemy mode for a different version of DotP or are the versions code too different?
mr friendly guy

Re: Is it possible to program DotP for different game format

Postby RiiakShiNal » 15 Jul 2014, 00:07

Possible, yes. Likely, absolutely not.

It is possible to reverse engineer both the Lua code and the engine, but most (if not all) of us lack the skills to do so (not to mention reverse engineering is technically illegal). Putting the Archenemy mode in would require getting the Lua source for at least parts of the interface, changing what is probably a relatively small part of the engine, and putting in the appropriate layouts, graphics, and scheme cards to support it. The easiest parts would probably be the scheme cards and graphics. It may be possible to adapt the layouts from 2012. However, we still likely won't be able to decompile the Lua scripts required or make any changes to the engine.
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Return to Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers