It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 20:42

Text Size

2013 starting life bug (or feature?)

New decks and cards for Stainless Games' release

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

2013 starting life bug (or feature?)

Postby Chuta » 20 Aug 2014, 06:29

Hi all!

The life total of each player in a new game is now 40. I can't find a setting to get it down to the original 20. I'd like to get it back to 20 health.

I found out about these DoTP games recently (last one I tried was the micropose one...didn't go well for me).

I have 2013-2015. From what I read, 2013 has a few more deck mods than 2014 so I'm kinda sticking with it for now.

Main issue I'm having is my life total. When I first started playing it (after installing 3 mods - firemind, Riiak's and wayback 2012) everything was fine. Then I after a few more games, some campaign progression and some updates to these mods, something happened.

Anyone have any tips?

-chuta
Chuta

Re: 2013 starting life bug (or feature?)

Postby RiiakShiNal » 20 Aug 2014, 10:47

That probably means that someone has included a GENERAL_CONFIG.XML file in some mod that has STARTING_LIFE_FREE_FOR_ALL set to 40. About the only way I can think of to find it is to unpack each of your mods and look for DATA_ALL_PLATFORMS\CONFIGS\GENERAL_CONFIG.XML. Once you find the mod (or mods) that have that file you can try removing those mod(s) to see if they are your problem.

Alternately, you could create your own mod and put in the GENERAL_CONFIG.XML from the original game and attempt to override the mod that changed it in the first place. Just remember that when overriding you want to give it a filename that would place it towards the end of the load order such as DATA_DLC_999999_CORRECTED_CONFIG.WAD. Or for overriding you could try a trick that works on DotP 2014 and increase the order attribute in the HEADER.XML to try and ensure that your mod will override the offending one.

You can stick with any version you like, each game has different game modes and different sets of cards that can be supported. For example DotP 2012 has Archenemy, DotP 2013 has Planechase, and DotP 2014 has Sealed Deck, DotP 2015 supports full deck building (though we haven't really figured out how to mod it yet). Currently DotP 2015 seems to support the most cards, but as stated we haven't really figured out how to mod it yet (we can replace cards, but that is about it for the moment). The game that currently sees the most active development is DotP 2014 with DotP 2015 currently stalled out due to lack of being able to unpack the ZED files. DotP 2013 may have the most released decks at the moment, but DotP 2014 probably has more cards available and more decks total (though many are unreleased) due to a greater percentage of modders releasing just cards and relying on people to use my Deck Builder to make their own decks.
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Re: 2013 starting life bug (or feature?)

Postby Chuta » 20 Aug 2014, 11:34

Nice hunch =)

Unpacked a few decks and found one that had the gen config.

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=10331#p118841

Artful Assassins. By Kieran.

Not only did it change the life total but also gave me different loading screen when I started the game. The deck in the manager was also kinda odd...it was all lands and few instants...with just one creater. A 1/1.

Anyway, thank you very much for the guidance! For a hobby, you've done quite a bit of work on these games. I look forward to testing out some 2014 mods (and 2015 if it gets busted open)
Chuta

Return to Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers