It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:19

Text Size

Magic Duels: Origins Announced

New decks and cards for Stainless Games' release

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Re: Magic Duels: Origins Announced

Postby Tejahn » 17 Jul 2015, 19:03

Indeed. I had a few creatures attacking with First Strike and Double Strike. Also, here is a card with Variable Mana Payment.
Tejahn

Postby sweetLu » 17 Jul 2015, 20:54

I noticed that blue text for Spell Mastery before. This may give us the ability for variable localized text or it may just be hard coded in there. Regardless, I hope they keep using this type of idea if they add in cards with dash, evoke, overload, etc.
sweetLu

Postby thefiremind » 18 Jul 2015, 13:35

Tejahn wrote:Also, here is a card with Variable Mana Payment.
Isn't it just a pompous way to call {X}? :mrgreen:

sweetLu wrote:I noticed that blue text for Spell Mastery before. This may give us the ability for variable localized text or it may just be hard coded in there.
I'm really curious to see how that is handled internally.

On a different note, just a random thought by me: depending on how much freedom they have put in dual-faced cards support, it's possible that we could code morph by adding a back face to the cards with morph when they are cast... but we'd need a way to let only the controller look at the other face, which I don't think will be possible.
< Former DotP 2012/2013/2014 modder >
Currently busy with life...
thefiremind
Programmer

Postby Tejahn » 18 Jul 2015, 17:37

thefiremind wrote:
Tejahn wrote:Also, here is a card with Variable Mana Payment.
Isn't it just a pompous way to call {X}? :mrgreen:
That seems to be exactly the case.

thefiremind wrote:On a different note, just a random thought by me: depending on how much freedom they have put in dual-faced cards support, it's possible that we could code morph by adding a back face to the cards with morph when they are cast... but we'd need a way to let only the controller look at the other face, which I don't think will be possible.
I need to sate my curiosity as well. And from what they're saying about adding cards over time, I believe Morph and other keywords will eventually surface. The functions for them may already be in place.
Tejahn

Postby Kithkin » 18 Jul 2015, 21:34

My guess is, keywords like Morph will never be in there. (a) it is way too complicated for beginners (b) it is way too complicated for Stainless (c) Morph won't return in new sets for many years to come
Kithkin

Postby Tejahn » 19 Jul 2015, 01:14

We may have to stick to the approximations then.
Tejahn

Postby sweetLu » 19 Jul 2015, 03:55

My suspicions seem to be correct! One of the columnists that have an early access steam key stated they could not find 3 or 4 player ffa. The patch they implemented to make "until your next turn" possible was to remove the game types that would cause an issue :D
sweetLu

Postby thefiremind » 22 Jul 2015, 18:40

It seems we finally have a date for the Steam release: July 29th, according to this article (scroll it to the end for the date).
thefiremind
Programmer

Postby Chakan » 23 Jul 2015, 00:28

It's about time they gave us a release date. I was thinking they were going to shelf the game for a while or something.
Chakan

Postby Tejahn » 23 Jul 2015, 18:37

thefiremind wrote:It seems we finally have a date for the Steam release: July 29th, according to this article (scroll it to the end for the date).
So, it's releasing the same day as Windows 10...
Tejahn

Postby alexandreonly » 23 Jul 2015, 23:00

I love infect and wither, do you guys think these mechanics can be back in a future set for Duels?
alexandreonly

Postby GrovyleXShinyCelebi » 24 Jul 2015, 03:31

alexandreonly wrote:I love infect and wither, do you guys think these mechanics can be back in a future set for Duels?
DOTP certainly support both mechanics. I'd say it's not out of the question (chances are they'll add some older cards to the Battle for Zendikar expansion).
GrovyleXShinyCelebi

Postby thefiremind » 24 Jul 2015, 08:10

GrovyleXShinyCelebi wrote:
alexandreonly wrote:I love infect and wither, do you guys think these mechanics can be back in a future set for Duels?
DOTP certainly support both mechanics. I'd say it's not out of the question (chances are they'll add some older cards to the Battle for Zendikar expansion).
I can answer with modding in mind: wither has no problems at all, while infect can be granted as a characteristic and it works rule-wise, but the problem is how the AI manages it, which has been quite disappointing in all previous versions. Sometimes it doesn't block infect creatures even if that means reaching 10 poison counters, sometimes it doesn't attack with infect creatures even if it's totally safe to do so, etc.. In the past I tried to make it a little better by giving the infect creatures a custom score based on the opponent's poison counters, but the enhancement was not very significant. I haven't tried to code infect creatures in DotP2015 yet, because my hopes for a change are very low.

Of course, if infect ever makes a comeback (Mark Rosewater loves poison, I'm sure he'll try to sneak it in again :lol:), the developers will be forced to make it work better.
thefiremind
Programmer

Postby GrovyleXShinyCelebi » 24 Jul 2015, 19:37

The AI seems to see infect creatures as the same as normal creatures with the same power. A quick and dirty fix could be to have the AI treat an infect creature as a creature with twice as much power (since you need 20 damage to die but only 10 poison counters): so Glistener Elf is treated as having a power 2 since it's a 1/1 infect, Corpse Cur is treated as a 4/2, and so on.
GrovyleXShinyCelebi

Postby Xander9009 » 24 Jul 2015, 19:41

GrovyleXShinyCelebi wrote:The AI seems to see infect creatures as the same as normal creatures with the same power. A quick and dirty fix could be to have the AI treat an infect creature as a creature with twice as much power (since you need 20 damage to die but only 10 poison counters): so Glistener Elf is treated as having a power 2 since it's a 1/1 infect, Corpse Cur is treated as a 4/2, and so on.
This would only work as a workaround if
A) You can in fact make the AI treat is as a creature with twice its power without actually changing its power.
B) The AI doesn't consider its life total when sizing up an attacking creature.

I believe the computer does consider its life total, meaning that while you initially need twice as much damage as poison counters to die, you may end up needing much less damage or much more damage than twice that number.
Xander9009
Programmer

PreviousNext

Return to Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers