Text Size

Magic Duels: Origins Announced

New decks and cards for Stainless Games' release

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Magic Duels: Origins Announced

Postby GrovyleXShinyCelebi » 04 Mar 2015, 00:06

I was surfing the web when I stumbled across this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUjnNUy0H1I

So it looks like the next iteration of Duels of the Planeswalkers is going to be a free-to-play, and will feature constructed over preconstructed decks again. Will we ever get another game we can mod again?
GrovyleXShinyCelebi

Re: Magic Duels: Origins Announced

Postby NEMESiS » 04 Mar 2015, 21:02

Apparently there will also be planeswalkers this time around. :D
NEMESiS

Postby Kithkin » 04 Mar 2015, 21:05

NEMESiS wrote:Apparently there will also be planeswalkers this time around. :D
What makes you say that? Since they removed the word "Planeswalker" from the title, I highly doubt it.
Kithkin

Postby NEMESiS » 04 Mar 2015, 21:28

Kithkin wrote:
NEMESiS wrote:Apparently there will also be planeswalkers this time around. :D
What makes you say that? Since they removed the word "Planeswalker" from the title, I highly doubt it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saNAgbhd2gw

Read the video description:

Magic Duels: Origins, the successor to Wizards of the Coast's popular Duels of the Planeswalkers franchise, is coming this July! Magic Duels will launch with the exciting storyline of the upcoming Magic Origins set, and will expand with regular downloadable content reflecting the latest sets. Two-Headed Giant mode returns, and the true free-to-play experience will delight all Magic players.

Link to learn more about Magic Origins:
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/...

Link to the story behind Magic Origins:
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/...

Magic Duels: Origins arrives this July to console on Xbox One, PC via Steam, and iPad tablets, with PlayStation 4 joining later this year.

"This upcoming release is unlike anything we've ever done," said Drew Nolosco, lead designer for Magic Duels: Origins. "Players will experience the origin stories of our five most iconic Planeswalkers through immersive gameplay. We've also listened to our players. Two-Headed Giant is back! Taking it a step further, everything is earnable, making the game truly free-to-play. Magic Duels is the perfect way to start your journey into the world's best strategy game."

Exciting new features of Magic Duels include:

Improved Deck Builder with step-by-step deck construction guidance
First-ever playable Planeswalker cards
Solo Battle mode featuring virtually endless AI opponents
Expanded multiplayer options, including Two-Headed Giant mode
Quest system with new individual and community challenges every week
Limitless Free-to-Play with 100% earnable content
All-new Skill Quest tutorial system

Wizards of the Coast, Magic: The Gathering, and their logos are trademarks of Wizards of the Coast LLC in the United States and other countries. © 2013 Wizards. Used with permission. All Rights Reserved. This video is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC.
NEMESiS

Postby sweetLu » 04 Mar 2015, 23:25

If it's actually F2P and they intend on continually adding to the same game instead of releasing a new one each year (like some have speculated) maybe they will actually let us mod it. If they do we would probably code a lot of the cards for them and work out a lot of bugs :D. It's free labor. As someone who enjoys playing as much as modding this sounds like a pretty good deal.

Edit - corrected a typo. Hopefully I got it before TFM caught it ;)
sweetLu

Postby NEMESiS » 05 Mar 2015, 17:59

NEMESiS

Postby NEMESiS » 06 Mar 2015, 20:49

Since we are getting planeswalkers this card has me very interested:

ImageImage

Are we going to get cards like this? :o

EDIT: According to PAX East the answer is yes! :D
NEMESiS

Postby Kithkin » 06 Mar 2015, 23:31

Awesome. Keep it comming.
Kithkin

Postby NEMESiS » 07 Mar 2015, 14:54

More pictures and a video:

The card in the top left graveyard is greyed out. I guess we are getting some spoilers.

NEMESiS

Postby GrovyleXShinyCelebi » 07 Mar 2015, 17:02

Really hoping we can play Two Headed Giant against the AI still. The demo lady makes it sound like we can only play it (and Free-for-all) with other people.
GrovyleXShinyCelebi

Postby sumomole » 07 Mar 2015, 17:16

:lol:
sumomole
Programmer

Postby sweetLu » 07 Mar 2015, 19:23

I must say I really like the UI better than last year's. I loathed the fact the battlefield moved when it went in and out of attack phases. It's much cleaner now. Another complaint I had from last year was the color of the sparkly stuff around a card when it's ability is resolving. Last year it matched closely with the background and was hard to see. I didn't notice what this year's is. I also like the display for the number of cards in the deck/graveyard. Not the prettiest but practical. I hope there is something similar for hand size.

In all it seems like they made some big improvements since the last moddable version with dual lands, transform cards and planeswalkers. If it's suppose to mimic the paper version maybe we'll finally see morph. I like that they are introducing more complicated mechanics and I hope we can find a way to mod this version. Nonetheless I'm still excited for the vanilla version. With the f2p model I might be able to talk some of my friends into trying the game out.
sweetLu

Postby thefiremind » 16 Jun 2015, 15:09

The official trailer is out:

Planeswalkers AND double-faced cards... we could ask only for morph now. :mrgreen:
You can also see the return of 2HG without any doubt... they made it so clear it's almost as if they knew how many people care about it... :roll: :lol:
< Former DotP 2012/2013/2014 modder >
Currently busy with life...
thefiremind
Programmer

Postby Xander9009 » 16 Jun 2015, 15:27

Awesome. Morph would be awesome. I mean... it works now, but it's rather clunky. About the best we can do with the functions we have, but a built in ability for morph and manifest would be amazing.
Xander9009
Programmer

Postby Parabolic » 20 Jun 2015, 10:33

No Two-Headed Giant was the main reason I skipped 2015. It's how my friends and I have always played, even way back on the Xbox for the first one. It's good to see it back.

Free-to-play is highly suspicious. They claim that they aren't locking anything behind a paywall, so what's the plan? Make unlocking cards a torturous grind so impatient players just drop dollars for the decks? As long as I can unlock cards in 2HG, I won't care. It's hell playing a bad deck alone for a card you'll never use, but everything is more fun with a friend.

If their plan is to keep building off of this release, then that is different. On one hand, maybe we could get a new yearly fun format. This year 2HG, next year Archenemy, Planechase after that, ect ect. On the other hand, if their gameplan is to keep selling you cards on the same platform year after year, it's probably not going to be moddable, at least not easily. I can see them not caring about an older DotP because you bought the game and the next release is different, so do what you want. But here, they need an incentive to get you to keep buying the add-ons and the easiest way to do that is new cards.
Parabolic

Next

Return to Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers