It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 11:19

Text Size

A rather interesting glitch (DotP 2014)

New decks and cards for Stainless Games' release

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

A rather interesting glitch (DotP 2014)

Postby addict insane » 07 Sep 2015, 14:37

The glitch I'm experiencing might be a bit difficult to explain and english is not my first language, so put up with me for just a bit, ok? I'll do my best with words:

First of all, I used to have two different versions of DotP 2014 in two different folders. I did this because I wanted one of the versions, the latter, to only have the CW with no other mods.

Now, when I installed the second version and started creating decks for it, something weird happened: the basic lands and card count in a created deck didn't correspond to the new deck I had just created, but to the deck with the same ID in the older version. So, let's say the first deck I created for that new, CW-only version, was an Abzan deck. Say I set it up for having Plains and Forests as basic lands. Let's say that in the other version, the first deck (the deck with ID 0) was an Omni-Show, with only islands. What this glitch does is that if I go to my Abzan deck, I'm going to see only islands as my basic land mana base. I can fix this by adjusting lands, but if I do, then when I go to my older version to play with my Omni-Show, I'm going to see an Abzan mana base.

Solution is simple, right? Keep only one version. Now, what I did was I deleted both versions (not uninstalling them, maybe this is were I went wrong) and then re-installed Dotp 2014. So I'm supposed to have a new, clean version. Two things still happen: 1.- I still have the old profile active with my name, number of wins, campaign progression, etc. Even though I deleted the content of the Wizards folder in My Documents and 2.- When I create a new deck the manabase still belongs to the one I had established last: That is, I created a Devotion to Green Deck with ID 0, but it came with an Abzan mana base (from the example above).

This in itself is not that big of a deal, but I'm having trouble with certain cards and I was wondering if this might have to do something with it. Well, the only card I'm actually having trouble with is Whisperwood Elemental, which doesn't manifest at end of turn, but Whisperwood is influential enough that I would like to fix this soon.

Sorry for the long post. I'm at work so can't give you any potatoes.
addict insane

Re: A rather interesting glitch (DotP 2014)

Postby Xander9009 » 07 Sep 2015, 18:36

Whisperwood Elemental is broken. It is quite possibly the single most complicated card I have ever personally worked on, and I'm sorry to say I failed miserably. It needs to make its own repeated ability to manifest work in sync with an ability to manifest granted to some unknown number of other permanents, any of which may or may not ever fire that ability or disappear mid-turn via exile, bouncing, or some other method. Each of those that DO manifest must track the manifested card permanently from the top of the deck and onto the battlefield, never losing track of it even if others that have manifested have been turned face-up or have been removed from the board somehow. I was already at my limit coding manifest so it worked at all. Whisperwood Elemental proved too complex for me at the time. I'll give it another shot now that it's been awhile and see if I can figure it out now.

As for the other issues, I have no idea why that would happen. I use two folders sometimes for the sake of testing and I've never had this issue. However, it's always for testing, like I said, and my test decks always have my testing card, which lets me do whatever I want, basically, so I may have simply never noticed it.
Xander9009
Programmer

Postby addict insane » 07 Sep 2015, 18:53

You may be saying that Whisperwood's second ability is complicated, but I'm talking only about his first one, manifest at end of turn. The very simple and same manifest from that other card, Mastery of the Unseen I think it's called.

I don't think I will ever try to use Whisperwood's second ability because it was devised as a defense against sweepers, and the A.I. is no good using decks with sweepers. I don't think anyone will ever need Whisperwood's second ability in Dotp 2014, so don't bang your head too hard against that wall :).
addict insane

Postby Xander9009 » 07 Sep 2015, 19:26

It's both of them. Coding just the first one is not too bad, as you mentioned there are others that manifest multiple cards, all from the same ability. So, I can definitely manage that. The problem is that the two abilities must be set up to work together and cooperate. If I can't figure it out this time around, I'll see about just getting the first ability set up. (Another major problem is if you have, say, two Whisperwood Elementals, or whatever the creature is that manifests when it dies. They interfere with each other like crazy.
Xander9009
Programmer

Postby addict insane » 07 Sep 2015, 20:19

Please let me know about your results, either through here or through mail.
addict insane

Postby Xander9009 » 05 Dec 2016, 23:02

Whisperwood Elemental is fixed. I solved it by making a manager token to handle all manifest related functionality in the background. Now, cards just make the token, and then they tell the token to manifest a specific card, and that's it. It handles everything else, which fixed both Whisperwood Elemental and Ghastly Conscription.
Xander9009
Programmer

A rather interesting glitch DotP 2014

Postby Rafaelspild » 05 Mar 2017, 05:44

I dont know if I will or not. Absolutely no one showed any interest, so it felt like a waste of time.

Why?
Rafaelspild

Return to Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers