It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:10

Text Size

How can I fix this AI?

New decks and cards for Stainless Games' release

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

How can I fix this AI?

Postby ajm555 » 28 Feb 2011, 20:35

Hey guys, first I wanna say thanks for all of your hard work in making this, I am LOVING it, seeing some of these blasts from the past decks is just amazing! And If I can find some fix to this small issue I have, I will definitely be donating to your cause!

Here is my problem:
Since I have installed and updated to patch 3 of these custom mods, the AI is just retardedly easy, they RARELY play anything, they toss out a land and discard till they are dead. I have the AI set to Planeswalker and every option I can set to the hardest possible in the options. Even playing a deck like the Hands of prosperity where I help them in drawing tons of cards they still seem to keep getting mana draughts and I have no challenge at all. Also, I have beaten every oponent thus far and they still don't get any harder to play.

Thanks a ton guys!

PS: I have looked around, but cant seem to find any sort of Timewalk or Turn and Burn decks, are there any yet?
ajm555

Re: How can I fix this AI?

Postby Huggybaby » 28 Feb 2011, 20:59

You aren't the first person to recognize AI problems with the newest patches. Unfortunately we don't know what causes it. Fact is, we need more programmers on this project.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby ajm555 » 01 Mar 2011, 09:28

I myself am no programmer in the least bit, and im sure you have probably looked at this, but is there a way to strip the AI files from the original files and plug those into the custom AI? Like I said, im nowhere near a programmer, but I know a small bit about taking apart and tinkering with files and such.

Edit: Actually, I am looking at this and I have tested out on repeat occasion that the AI still works wonders against the core decks from the game itself, and everything has a set circumstance vs what you play, what deck you are playing, what creatures you have on the board etc. IE: I tested playing the Tezzerets artifact deck against Nissas Ears of the Elves deck, and Regardless of what other artifacts I have out, when she pulls Naturalize, she always targets in a specific order: Tidehollow strix> Howling Mine> etc. So I guess It looks like the AI was programmed specifically per each Vs deck maybe? Idk, just trying to do whatever I can to help out.
ajm555

Postby Demonic Tutor » 07 Mar 2011, 23:10

First of all great great compliments for this wonderful work.
I just subscribe the forum because I would like to report some problems with the AI, but now I see that's not a news...
First I thought that it had problems with mulligan but playing with a "himn to tourach" deck I saw that AI simply prefer not to play land :(
With "You aren't the first person to recognize AI problems with the newest patches" do you mean that this problem exixt only with the pacthed version?
I'm not a programmer but I'm wondering if it can be simply solve with a IF...THEN line (like IF had any numer of land Then play one land).

Another problem I saw is that the mana "surplus" doesn't cause damages. For example playing a dark ritual and then a 2 mana card, the "one lost mana" doesn't cause anything.
Demonic Tutor

Postby Huggybaby » 07 Mar 2011, 23:18

Demonic Tutor wrote:Another problem I saw is that the mana "surplus" doesn't cause damages. For example playing a dark ritual and then a 2 mana card, the "one lost mana" doesn't cause anything.
Mana burn was eliminated in the last rules changes. :)
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Demonic Tutor » 08 Mar 2011, 12:29

Aehm... I'm quite "old stile" and... yes, with my first games with Dopt I was looking for my beloved interrupts :)
Demonic Tutor

Postby tarutaru » 15 Mar 2011, 01:44

Try to change the Dataset for all original decks to "Community". I went into Data_Core, DATA_DLC_0004, DATA_DLC_0005 and DATA_DLC_0006 and edited all the AI and PL decks (but NOT challenge decks), replacing the DATASET line as follows:

<DATASET name="Community"/>

Read this to learn about how to unpack the data files and edit individual decks:
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3745

I have been having the same problem for ages. The AI works wonderfully when I use original decks but I get that land problem whenever I use a custom deck. The AI acts as if it's tired, doesn't play land when it can etc. After changing all the Datasets to Community, the AI is back in full swing! Loving it.

Let me know if you have any luck with this. The AI is fun and challenging to play when it's working properly. It can beat me with core decks even when I use OP custom decks that I thought would have been a sure win.
tarutaru

Postby Salasnet » 11 Apr 2011, 05:14

Somebody should sticky this topic, or add it to the Wiki as essential information.
Salasnet

Postby Huggybaby » 11 Apr 2011, 15:50

It's stickied for now. Anyone can edit the wiki, just log in with the same username/pass you use to log in here.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Shatterhouse » 20 Apr 2011, 00:14

I customized a simple card (Viashino Fangtail), put it in a simple deck (24 Mountains, 36 fangtails) and took it for a test run against Hands of Flame.

At some point, Chandra cast an Incinerate, and it targeted my library. This feels like more than just an AI flaw. As far as I know, the library can't be targeted by anything, ever.
Shatterhouse

Postby gessepi » 22 Apr 2011, 04:06

Thanks for the advice about changing to <DATASET name="Community"/>. Question is, is that a sure fire fix? because i tried and it really only works on the first deck i play, any rematches or even proceeding to the next deck they seem to give up again.
gessepi

Postby Assasianer » 22 Apr 2011, 09:15

So I just just installed the MOD which is awesome.
(But according to the original decks on DOTPs they are clearly overpowered, since DOTPs original decks lack depth. But hey who I am not complaining, I just got on the MTG bus a couple of weeks ago, so I'm pretty much your average noob on the part.)
Now to my problem I unpacked the WADs ( the ones that are mentioned above) now I can't find where I should edit.
Can someone note down a destination path like in AI folder I didn't see anything DATASET. Or maybe I'm looking at the wrong places. Sorry for the long babbling. And thanks my friends are also wondering we really want the custom decks against the AI to work.
Assasianer

Postby Huggybaby » 22 Apr 2011, 17:06

You and your friends should please see our Documentation forum at viewforum.php?f=65, and also read the WIKI.

You should also have an understanding of the LUA programming language.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Assasianer » 22 Apr 2011, 20:15

Thank you, the links are very useful.

Anyways after a short period of writing the post we figured it out. Maybe we got lazy and a bit confused but now we're good and all.

The interference is quite simple after getting used to it and we did find a couple of errors in game: first dragon deck crashes if clicked on.

Second a sacrifice land card does not completely work(a sacrifice fire white): I lose life point but then nothing I assume that I got no energy card in my deck which is quite weird since I have 4 in the game (O.o)

Third since now it is assumed we constantly have to stop the timer to do all the tinkering. If clicked on a say an ability (but not activated yet) the attack phase comes but the ability menu is still open if clicked on the game crashes no matter what. It even happens when you turn passes and if you are still right clicked on the card to use and ability.

Other than that on the subject now, sometimes the AI does not play, other times quite well. Somethings triggering to play or not. For instance, if constantly wiped out creatures ( say 2-3 turns) the AI stops playing artifacts,creature, counterspells. And there should be something like when I'm attacking it should block or else lose game the AI does not block it sits there and dies.
Difficulty : Planeswalker ofc.

Great mod, thanks for making this extraordinary content we are living in it. Too bad we can't build our own decks in-game other than that. With a little tinkering with the tools, building a deck is quite simple ( yet very difficult not knowing the game too well)
Assasianer

Postby Shatterhouse » 23 Apr 2011, 22:04

I think I have a workaround for the AI's seeming retardedness when playing against your custom decks.

Instead of using DATASET="COMMUNITY", try DATASET="Chandra" or another planeswalker instead. I suspect this field is a signal to the AI that tells it what to look for in its opening hand, and maybe how to play against the deck.
Shatterhouse

Next

Return to Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers