It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:37

Text Size

Hi, a few questions

New decks and cards for Stainless Games' release

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Hi, a few questions

Postby beowulf77 » 16 Nov 2011, 12:48

Hello, I am working on adding a few cards but have a few problems. I am very experienced w/r to programming etc. The hiccups I am having basically are:

DotP 2012
1) Using the gibbed tools I created Wirewood Savage and successfully added it to a new deck. However when I modify the deck file "too much" it seems to lock up the game at the title splash screen indefinitely. I haven't been able to nail down exactly what causes it but when replace, for example, the Thrun and the 3x Giant Growths with 4x "NATURAL_ORDER_1557" and repack, it locks up.

2) WAD vs Folder - I tried unpacking the Data_Core and DATA_DLC_7777 and using those in the App folder instead of the .WAD files but this doesn't seem to work as the wiki says. I removed the WAD files and placed the DATA_CORE in the folder and get an error stating my local files are corrupt. Then I tried leaving the Data_Core WAD file and unpacking Kev's WAD and trying those as folder-only in the app directory and they new decks don't show (like it doesn't see the DLC). Not sure what else to try. Was this changed in 2012?

I appreciate any help you can provide. I have coded some easy cards that I like, mainly to support a Beasts deck for Garruk.

- Kalonian Behemoth
- Krosan Warchief
- Rampaging Baloths
- Timbermaw Larva
- Token (Beast 4/4)
- Wirewood Savage

Thanks!
beowulf77

Re: Hi, a few questions

Postby thefiremind » 16 Nov 2011, 15:00

1) I don't know what you are doing wrong, but I'd suggest you to make new decks from scratch instead of editing existing ones. As other people said, this game is very fragile. I always use this program for making new cards (or, at least, prepare the base of the XML) and new decks:
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=5369
and I started from Casper's DATA_DLC_1111 posted here:
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=5076

2) I think the wiki still refers to the old DotP and not 2012. In 2012 you need to repack everything you did. That's another reason why it's really recommended to edit a personal DLC. The Deck Editor Revised that I linked above is able to do it quite automatically (sometimes gibbed tools crashes or the program says "Error sending content", but it usually works at the second or third try).

I hope I have been helpful enough. Starting is always the difficult part: once you see your first card and/or deck in the game, you're good to go. :wink:
< Former DotP 2012/2013/2014 modder >
Currently busy with life...
thefiremind
Programmer

Postby beowulf77 » 16 Nov 2011, 16:40

Thanks. I have just one card successfully incorporated so far, Wirewood Savage. I got to play with it and I have to say since seeing his draw-a-card effect play out properly I am hooked.

I appreciate the tips, I actually copied the deck file for the TitanRamp from Kev and modified it, changing the uid, etc. Renamed the file D12_BEASTY.XML and it shows up with Wirewood Savage fine. But then I got to mucking around with it and it just blows up sometimes.

You are right it is very sensitive. I was wondering if there was an expectation with regard to card order in the deck file. Also I was curious if the card pool is limited for decks based on some sort of affiliation in another file. I saw the file that lists expansion text files or something like that for each Planeswalker and was thinking maybe that had something to do with it.

I try to learn things by hand-rolling them but might just try backing off and using the tool you suggested instead. Then maybe diffing against what I handrolled to see what I did wrong.

All in all this is awesome.

Again thanks for the reply. Hope I can contribute once I get rolling.
beowulf77

Postby beowulf77 » 21 Nov 2011, 18:37

thefiremind wrote:1) I don't know what you are doing wrong, but I'd suggest you to make new decks from scratch instead of editing existing ones. As other people said, this game is very fragile. I always use this program for making new cards (or, at least, prepare the base of the XML) and new decks:
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=5369
and I started from Casper's DATA_DLC_1111 posted here:
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=5076

2) I think the wiki still refers to the old DotP and not 2012. In 2012 you need to repack everything you did. That's another reason why it's really recommended to edit a personal DLC. The Deck Editor Revised that I linked above is able to do it quite automatically (sometimes gibbed tools crashes or the program says "Error sending content", but it usually works at the second or third try).

I hope I have been helpful enough. Starting is always the difficult part: once you see your first card and/or deck in the game, you're good to go. :wink:
Thanks again I just wanted to let you know the tool works great. Much more stability now. I am trying to create Beast Within and the 4/4 Beast token is giving me some issues (null index error) but other than that it is working great.
beowulf77

Return to Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers