It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:48

Text Size

little help with 2 potential modifications

New decks and cards for Stainless Games' release

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

little help with 2 potential modifications

Postby RolandHazoto » 05 Jan 2012, 00:55

Ok so after playing kev's mod of DotP 2010 for 3 days (after spending 2 days playing 2012 "vanilla") I have decided to take on one of 2 projects. (maybe both but unlikely)
A.) I'd like to figure out how 2010 recognizes the unlocked cards vs the core cards and see if the attribute defining whether a card can be added or removed from the deck (as is the case with the unlockables) can be applied to the core cards.
or
B.) I'd like to find a way to enable local co-op for 2012.

A notes:
I seen the unlockables xml files and at first I thought "what if I added all the cards from a deck to the xml" but I can kinda see where issues may arise for that so I'm kinda at a dead end here and the best I can think of is maybe if I took the time to learn lua it might help but either way I don't see a way so far

B notes:
This option seems more feasible. The files seem to be in place from the console versions and hypothetically it would simply mean adjusting certain "is it pc" checks but I'd like some opinions on it

What it all comes down to is I love the local co-op in 2010, and with kev's mods making it a total of 113 playable decks and 76 campaign missions, all in all it's amazing. The local co-op is the only thing causing me to like 2010 more than 2012. I like 2012's archenemy mode and the AI is definitely better and I figure with time we will have the kind of decks we have in 2010, it just isn't as fun if you cannot play locally with a friend (or significant other).

Any thoughts opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
RolandHazoto

Re: little help with 2 potential modifications

Postby RolandHazoto » 06 Jan 2012, 00:57

Ok so I may have figured out the 2012 local co-op (maybe) but I don't know how to repack the core wad... Anyone know how to do this?

EDIT: Figured out the repack issue, I wasn't assigning enough memory to java...

On another note, if anyone can tell me what properly open .lol files that would be great, notepad++ works great for .lua but does not open .lol the same way...
RolandHazoto

Postby kevlahnota » 06 Jan 2012, 08:09

well not all .lol files can be decompiled correctly but some are.

first download luadec for decompiling lol file.
now hexedit the header of the binary encoded .lol files to official lua file header.
In the example below you want to change it to 00 ( I think in the encoded .lol files are not 00 )

1B 4C 75 61 51 00

then use luadec to decompile the lol files.

example in console mode:

c:\>luadec CONSTANTS.LOL > CONSTANTS.LUA

:D

RolandHazoto wrote:Ok so I may have figured out the 2012 local co-op (maybe) but I don't know how to repack the core wad... Anyone know how to do this?

EDIT: Figured out the repack issue, I wasn't assigning enough memory to java...

On another note, if anyone can tell me what properly open .lol files that would be great, notepad++ works great for .lua but does not open .lol the same way...
kevlahnota
Programmer

Postby RolandHazoto » 06 Jan 2012, 18:44

kevlahnota wrote:well not all .lol files can be decompiled correctly but some are.

first download luadec for decompiling lol file.
now hexedit the header of the binary encoded .lol files to official lua file header.
In the example below you want to change it to 00 ( I think in the encoded .lol files are not 00 )

1B 4C 75 61 51 00

then use luadec to decompile the lol files.

example in console mode:

c:\>luadec CONSTANTS.LOL > CONSTANTS.LUA

:D
Thanks for that, I'll try it now. I spent hours last night trying to decompile the core ui file with various versions of luadec and was getting nowhere. I'll try this now and hopefully get somewhere, cuz for some reason no matter what changes in the UI xml files, nothing changes in game...

UPDATE: That did the trick! Now what I just realized is how can I recompile it after I edit it? Is this possible?

Also should I be concerned about the decompiler errors commented into the file? Such as "-- DECOMPILER ERROR: Confused about usage of registers for local variables."
RolandHazoto

Postby RolandHazoto » 06 Jan 2012, 20:20

Well it seems no matter how many edits I make I cannot get the console version menus to even show up on the pc version (I was attempting to get the 360 co-op options to show, and then go from there)
So I am probably going to take a crack at these lua files for 2010 and see if I can apply full deck editing
RolandHazoto

Postby RolandHazoto » 06 Jan 2012, 23:14

Well for 2010 I have discerned that the function to "move cards" has to be controlled by the exe file. It is mentioned in 1 file in the data_core and never mentioned again. If i can find the checks for this I may be able to modify them so that you can move any card in and out of your deck.

As for 2012, it would appear all of the xml files are left over files from 2010. It seems 2012 was simply built on top of 2010 and they did not remove the old files. Therefore most of the interface and a majority of the options are all contained in the .lol files which for the most part do not seem to recompile properly. (they don't even really decompile properly...)

So for the 2010 mod, I need to know how to edit the exe file.

For the 2012 mod I need a better decompiler/recompiler for the .lol lua files.
RolandHazoto

Return to Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers