It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:54

Text Size

Magic: The Gathering-Duels of the Planeswalkers-language

New decks and cards for Stainless Games' release

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Magic: The Gathering-Duels of the Planeswalkers-language

Postby Sinkela » 27 Mar 2012, 08:05

Immediately apologize for my bad English, I use "Google Translate"
translation Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 Russian language?
I found the files to convert in the file DATA_CORE, unpacked.
but if you unzip the file and nothing is changing it back together, then the game crashes at startup.
What should I do? I need перевод help and translate the text on the screen.
Sinkela

Re: Magic: The Gathering-Duels of the Planeswalkers-language

Postby Eglin » 27 Mar 2012, 08:31

The game doesn't natively support the Russian language. Are you trying to replace one of the other languages?
Eglin
Programmer

Postby Sinkela » 27 Mar 2012, 08:53

Yes
try to replace any word in English to other word in English

transfer decks for me in the future :D
I'm just learning to play the game and understand it is not their native language is very difficult to :(
Sinkela

Postby Eglin » 27 Mar 2012, 10:48

Sinkela wrote:Yes
try to replace any word in English to other word in English

transfer decks for me in the future :D
I'm just learning to play the game and understand it is not their native language is very difficult to :(
I commend you for trying to learn to play in a language you do not speak. I know that MTG is very popular in Russia, so you may want to check out some local shops that sell cards or look online for some other ways to learn more about the game before diving in to such a project as modding this game to work in your mother tongue. There are some guys on this board (including the founders, if I'm not mistaken) from Pereslavl area and it couldn't hurt to drop them a message asking what software they use - although they may well play their games in English.

If you are intent to mod this game, I suggest follow this guide to extract all the game data, then writing a script (in some language you're familiar with that is good with text processing, like Perl, Ruby, etc) that will search for occurrences of <LOCALISED_TEXT LanguageCode="en-US"> followed (perhaps not immediately) by <LOCALISED_TEXT LanguageCode="de-DE">. If you use an XML parser, it shouldn't be too very difficult to identify objects that have localised strings. You can pass the strings you find in the en-US tags through an automated translator, like babelfish, and use the translations to replace the de-DE (German) strings. I am not sure what kind of extended character support the game might have, so you may have to transliterate.

I know that we have some forum users here who play the game in languages other than English. Hopefully they will chime in and add some good tips, because I'm afraid that I can't be of much help to you.

Good luck,
Eglin
Eglin
Programmer

Postby thefiremind » 27 Mar 2012, 11:15

The solution suggested by Eglin is probably the only one: substitute all the strings of a certain localization with your Russian strings and play with that localization. But it's a huge work and you should find a way to translate everything, menus included, otherwise you would have menus in German/whatever language you substitute, and they wouldn't be very comfortable... :wink:
I play in Italian but it's already supported by the game, so I don't know what else to say.
< Former DotP 2012/2013/2014 modder >
Currently busy with life...
thefiremind
Programmer

Return to Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers