It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:52

Text Size

Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013

New decks and cards for Stainless Games' release

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Re: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013

Postby sadlyblue » 04 Jul 2012, 18:32

thefiremind wrote:Trying to copy a token from nowhere makes the game crash.
What do you mean?
sadlyblue

Postby thefiremind » 04 Jul 2012, 18:38

sadlyblue wrote:
thefiremind wrote:Trying to copy a token from nowhere makes the game crash.
What do you mean?
If I use ObtainToken (or ObtainTokenFromSpec), I have a pointer to a token. But where is that token? Nowhere. If I use the new clone functions on that token, the game crashes.
< Former DotP 2012/2013/2014 modder >
Currently busy with life...
thefiremind
Programmer

Postby sadlyblue » 04 Jul 2012, 19:09

That's what i thought you meant.
Funny, i think they didn't used the obtaintoken in any of their cards.
When you say the new clone funtions you are referring to the UseCopiableValues and so on... right?
Can't you use the old functions.
sadlyblue

Postby thefiremind » 04 Jul 2012, 19:16

sadlyblue wrote:When you say the new clone funtions you are referring to the UseCopiableValues and so on... right?
Yes.
sadlyblue wrote:Can't you use the old functions.
Nope: according to the new executable readings, TurnIntoCopyOf doesn't exist anymore.
thefiremind
Programmer

Postby sadlyblue » 04 Jul 2012, 20:18

Well, i was thinking you could use grantability and change the characteristics. On 0, it has a predetermine p/t, colour,... and abilities, on 1 it gets other p/t,... and abilities.
The problem is the card mana cost and other things won't change.
sadlyblue

Postby Aiodren » 04 Jul 2012, 21:08

Sadlyblue is right. I just made a very basic transformer, that copies a creature like "Clone" and grants it an ability to switch back and forth between his stats and that of the copied card (i don't know about the mana cost, but the art image and color changed fine). So with a bit more work put into it, we won't even need a token and outside functions :D (but maybe i'm a bit too excited at the moment and it's not that easy... xD)
But i made the card a clone on purpose... without actually targeting the card into which he should transform i don't know how we can store copiable values (i hope you understand what i mean)... does anyone know a way to do that?
Aiodren

Postby MisterBenn » 04 Jul 2012, 23:13

As it turns out I don't need to make Proliferate just yet, I've made enough of my Vampires to playtest and it seems they won't benefit from Proliferate as much as I thought. Presuming the get best/worst counter functions are still there then I might put it in the sideboard. It's weird how the proliferate cards have either a disease or artifact flavour, a "mass feeding" flavoured card would feel much better when being used to power counters on creatures.

That's really bad news about Transform, my placeholder Bloodline Keeper that acts like Lord of Lineage but doesn't transform will have to stay for the moment. I might see what I can do once the deck is done but I suspect that that kind of improvising will be like groping round in the dark for me!
MisterBenn

Postby thefiremind » 05 Jul 2012, 09:03

Aiodren wrote:I just made a very basic transformer, that copies a creature like "Clone" and grants it an ability to switch back and forth between his stats and that of the copied card (i don't know about the mana cost, but the art image and color changed fine).
But you copied something that was on the battlefield. Try to copy a card that doesn't even exist in the duel...

I wanted to inform you about another limitation of mana production on permanents that aren't lands. They won't trigger BECAME_TAPPED_FOR_MANA even if you use them for it. Pristine Talisman, for example, would be easy to code if we could make the controller gain life on that trigger... but we can't.
thefiremind
Programmer

Postby Persee » 05 Jul 2012, 13:33

So using mana token will be necessary to code some cards.
Persee

Postby alexandreonly » 05 Jul 2012, 16:41

Morph already possible?
alexandreonly

Postby thefiremind » 05 Jul 2012, 18:04

alexandreonly wrote:Morph already possible?
Morph will never be possible... too many exclusive rules implied. Just think about playing a card face down and being the only one allowed to look at it.
thefiremind
Programmer

Postby GravitonGamer » 05 Jul 2012, 18:12

Anyone have any idea why my Sidewinder Sliver is causing the game to crash when starting a new game? Here's the xml: http://pastebin.com/gnpF3zPS

Flanking isn't automatically enabled when you set its characteristic to 1, so I had to implement the ability myself.
GravitonGamer

Postby thefiremind » 05 Jul 2012, 21:15

GravitonGamer wrote:Anyone have any idea why my Sidewinder Sliver is causing the game to crash when starting a new game? Here's the xml: http://pastebin.com/gnpF3zPS

Flanking isn't automatically enabled when you set its characteristic to 1, so I had to implement the ability myself.
Are you 100% sure it's this card that makes your game crash? I can't see anything wrong in the code.
Anyway, there's one thing you can try: reverse the triggered ability by using the BLOCKING trigger, so that it sees the blocker as TriggerObject. In theory, it should do the same thing, but in practice, who knows? :wink:
Code: Select all
  <TRIGGERED_ABILITY resource_id="1" dangerous="1" badge="BADGE_FLANKING" filter_zone="ZONE_IN_PLAY">
    <TRIGGER value="BLOCKING">
    return SecondaryObject() == Object() and TriggerObject():GetCurrentCharacteristics():Characteristic_Get( CHARACTERISTIC_FLANKING ) == 0
    </TRIGGER>
    <CONTINUOUS_ACTION layer="7C">
    if TriggerObject() ~= nil then
      TriggerObject():GetCurrentCharacteristics():Power_Add( -1 )
      TriggerObject():GetCurrentCharacteristics():Toughness_Add( -1 )
    end
    </CONTINUOUS_ACTION>
    <DURATION simple_duration="UntilEOT" />
  </TRIGGERED_ABILITY>
(I'd also put the dangerous tag since it's something that the AI could want to answer to, but it should work without it anyway)

--------------

EDIT: I think I found another bug related to the badges, but I'm afraid that this time we won't be able to do anything because it's about two badges that don't have a number.
When a permanent gains protection from something that isn't a color (try with Spirit Mantle), instead of the generic protection badge (the shield with the star), it gains the regeneration badge! And if you look at the "more info" pages, the page about protection isn't added while the protection is active.
thefiremind
Programmer

Postby GravitonGamer » 06 Jul 2012, 00:09

thefiremind wrote:Anyway, there's one thing you can try: reverse the triggered ability by using the BLOCKING trigger, so that it sees the blocker as TriggerObject. In theory, it should do the same thing, but in practice, who knows? :wink:
(I'd also put the dangerous tag since it's something that the AI could want to answer to, but it should work without it anyway)
Ugh, I made a typo before my last save which created a malformed xml. #-o

Anyway, thanks for the help. I added the dangerous attribute as you suggested.
GravitonGamer

Postby Aiodren » 06 Jul 2012, 10:16

So i just wanted to give you guys a little update on the transform mechanic. I worked out the idea with the copy mechanic and made a working Delver of Secrets with it. When he is cast his backside (Insectile Abberation) is spawned as a token and you are prompted to target it (it's the only thing you can target). Afterwards Delver stores its copiable values, exiles it and uses the values when he transforms. It's not the most elegant solution, but it works for now. Let me know, if i missed some weird interactions with existing cards.
Aiodren

PreviousNext

Return to Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers