It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:15

Text Size

Possible to bypass the sync issues online with custom WADs?

New decks and cards for Stainless Games' release

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Possible to bypass the sync issues online with custom WADs?

Postby LaftKranz » 18 Jan 2013, 08:01

For MtG DotP 2013, is it possible to bypass the sync issues online encountered when editing already made decks ingame (for a legitimate Steam version of the game)? I'm not talking about making new decks with cards not already existing in the game, I'm referring to the decks present in the game.

I can play the Bolas deck and the Revenge Bolas deck online with no sync issues. I can also change the deck image/card shown in the lobby without sync issues with the other players so just deck unlocking/cosmetic changes can work without causing sync issues. I can also play challenge decks online, the issue with those is that they are around 80-90% land. All except for the "Into the Pod" challenge deck (DECK_0018_CH.WAD) which is built basically like a normal deck (and that deck is far from over powered).

The issue I've found with this is that your deck's size is always 93 with an extra 33 land cards. This is due to the decklist containing:
Code: Select all
  <BASICLAND name="Island" quantity="6" />
  <BASICLAND name="Swamp" quantity="6" />
  <BASICLAND name="Mountain" quantity="5" />
  <BASICLAND name="Forest" quantity="5" />
The deck manager shows 60 cards. It seems the deck thinks to add the extra land (22) and every 2 cards it adds an addition land (11) so the deck is 33 over what it "should" be. If you remove the above lines, the deck stays at 60 but this causes sync issues online.

I really want to know if I can use an edited deck with someone with a default .wad file for a deck (apart from just cosmetic and unlock line changes). Or if someone knows a way around this.
LaftKranz

Re: Possible to bypass the sync issues online with custom WA

Postby maginater5000 » 20 Jan 2013, 11:03

i dont think that it is possible to bybass the sync issues.
I tested it by myself. As you said, if you use nicol bolas or nicol bolas revenge or the super jace deck, all will work fine.
But if you modifiy something in the decklist it cant work because your opponent who not have your customized wad files think that their are other cards in the deck. So the sync will fail.
maginater5000

Re: Possible to bypass the sync issues online with custom WA

Postby GamerXYZ0 » 23 Jan 2013, 22:48

I haven't been able to test, but you could try the following:

<LandConfig numSpellsThatCountAsLand="22" />
That way, you tell the game that 22 cards of the deck are lands already and it doesn't need to compensate for that. No idea if this'd cause a sync issue: you're not directly tampering with the deck (like how adding the unlock line also causes no sync issues), but you still are indirectly doing so. And heck: perhaps it doesn't work at all in the first place.

If you end up with a smaller deck, but not the right size, play with the number until it's correct. Try 26 first if 22 slims the deck but not enough (because the deck also has 4x Terramorphic Expanse... IIRC, that is).

And if it does the job but the lands are not correct (perhaps it ignores the basic lands in the file), then try the following:

<LandConfig minIsland="6" minSwamp="6" minMountain="5" minForest="5" numSpellsThatCountAsLand="22" />
Once again: modify 22 if necessary, and only if your deck actually got slimmed down in the first place compared to the unmodified deck. Note that there is no max version of the above code, only min.
GamerXYZ0

Return to Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers