It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 21:33

Text Size

PMs are bad for you...

New decks and cards for Stainless Games' release

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

PMs are bad for you...

Postby thefiremind » 25 Feb 2013, 01:19

First of all I want to apologize for bringing a topic that doesn't really belong here, but since DotP is the section where I'm active, and this matter is connected to my role, it's the best place to let the message reach the right targets.

Let's say that this happens quite frequently, but these days even more: people send me PMs asking for help. I don't find it annoying and I always answer to them trying to be as useful as I can. But the fact is, this way of interacting totally defeats the idea of being in a forum. A forum should be composed by a group of people that discuss about topics together, not just in unconnected couples. Topics are better than PMs for various reasons:
  • User #1 send me a PM today, user #2 sends me a PM tomorrow asking the same question, whose answer could have been found in the forums without the need to ask again if user #1 wrote his question in an existing topic or started a new one.
  • Can you be sure of the person who can answer your question at best? Surprise surpise, it won't be always me. :lol: There are some specific topics about DotP modding where other users are better prepared. Just to make a couple of examples: RiiakShiNal experimented a lot more with unlocks while I can't even remember exactly which unlocking code is the best to use in APPID_LINKING.TXT according to the game version; pcastellazzi writes Lua in a much cleaner and safer way than I do because he knows Lua as a whole, while I just know the basics needed to code the cards. So why directing your questions to just one person? Isn't it better to ask everyone and get multiple opinions?
  • Your question could be simple enough to be answered equally well from any of the main modders here. If you send a PM, you'll be forced to wait for that one person, while if you write a post/topic, the first who reads your question and knows the answer will fill your need.
Do you want an example of how much better it is to write a topic? Just look at my signature: the famous (I hope! :lol:) tutorial started from a user's question. I can't be sure about this, but I guess that it helped a lot more people than just the topic author. This wouldn't have been possible if he had decided to write me a PM.

So, the next time you are about to write specifically to me (or to another modder... if it ever happens, I'm not sure :lol:), please think twice: could your question be useful to other people? There's a very high chance it could. Help in making this place the best for learning everything about DotP modding. :wink:
< Former DotP 2012/2013/2014 modder >
Currently busy with life...
thefiremind
Programmer

Re: PMs are bad for you...

Postby RiiakShiNal » 25 Feb 2013, 04:10

thefiremind wrote:Topics are better than PMs
I agree wholeheartedly. =D>

thefiremind wrote:So, the next time you are about to write specifically to me (or to another modder... if it ever happens, I'm not sure :lol:), please think twice: could your question be useful to other people? There's a very high chance it could. Help in making this place the best for learning everything about DotP modding. :wink:
It definitely happens as I get several PMs as well (normally on questions that have been answered a dozen plus times in the forum already) and just like you I answer them. This is also part of the reason I've been doing little bits on the Wiki here and there to try and update some of the information and organize some other information. If we can get most of the information onto the wiki in an organized fashion then maybe we can reduce the number of questions that need to be asked in the first place because people will be able to find the information they need easier.
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Postby NEMESiS » 25 Feb 2013, 14:07

Well I am guilty as charged regarding this thread. :lol: However, the issue that I personally see is that we don't have place where we can ask questions. That may sound a bit silly but if you are new to the forums and have many random questions where do you place them? I know takhen had to create his own thread just to ask all of his questions but I feel that many of the other forumners are a little more on the "shy side" of things and prefer to send a PM rather then to create a new thread every single time they have a question. It would be VERY helpful if we had a "ask a question about modding here" thread with some links of "interest" for those of us that need to ask questions without hijacking other threads or making a new one for every question we have. I would make a thread, I just don't know what would be links of interest in this site.

Food for thought.
NEMESiS

Postby RiiakShiNal » 26 Feb 2013, 00:54

Typically if I have a question and I can't find a related thread then I just start a new one (and I have done so several times). Also if the question is code related like how to make a card, where is the mistake in the code, does "X" work, etc... we have the "Programming Talk" forum which is a perfect place for those questions.

If it is a question about a mod or a card that someone has already made, like "how does this card work", "I think I found a bug", or "can I request a card/deck" then you can probably find a related thread in the "New MTG Cards and Decks" forum, but if not just create a thread.

If it is a question about documentation, the structure of a file, what a specific tag means then the "Documentation" forum works quite well.

If the question is about one of the utilities available or whether a tool is available or not then the "Utilities" forum should serve you well.

If you have no clue or can't decide where a question should go just post in the main DotP forum.

Hopefully soon, we will have enough information on the Wiki that we can point people there for basic questions. There are already are some "links of interest" there under the heading "Editing Guides". Then even the "shy" people should be able to find their answers quickly. Also the Wiki is viewable and editable by everyone so there really is no excuse for us not to use it.
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Postby Takhen » 27 Feb 2013, 21:12

NEMESiS wrote:Well I am guilty as charged regarding this thread. :lol: However, the issue that I personally see is that we don't have place where we can ask questions. That may sound a bit silly but if you are new to the forums and have many random questions where do you place them? I know takhen had to create his own thread just to ask all of his questions but I feel that many of the other forumners are a little more on the "shy side" of things and prefer to send a PM rather then to create a new thread every single time they have a question. It would be VERY helpful if we had a "ask a question about modding here" thread with some links of "interest" for those of us that need to ask questions without hijacking other threads or making a new one for every question we have. I would make a thread, I just don't know what would be links of interest in this site.

Food for thought.
It isn't mine, it is just that I have a looooooooot of doubts that uses the hydra's duplication technique é_è
Takhen

Return to Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers