It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:32

Text Size

DOTP 2013 before start gaming

New decks and cards for Stainless Games' release

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

DOTP 2013 before start gaming

Postby Takhen » 27 Feb 2013, 17:10

That I was asking to me, and now to you, is about what could we do with the DOTP 2013: the THETA version makes impossibile to use the multiplayer mode?
Would it be possible to play against any other user with internet or LAN connection or the AI is the only way?
If it is possible I could play also with someone of you, if you want :)

A second question is about the DOTP 2012: My pc is not so updated, so newer is the game, more is the slowness
So I was thing, could I use the DOPT 2012 (I have the SKIDROW, but I could search the THETA as I did for 2013) ad insert in it the decks I am doing in the same way that 2013, or with a little modify, or the difference between the two is too much?

My last question is something in particular for me, not so important: I like to use the Windows Mode (and it is weird that the game is faster that in Full Screen), but every time I close the game it returns to Full Screen, there is a way to lock the option in Windows Mode? It is not so important, but considering that the menù is the slowest part of the game it is a little bad to me
Takhen

Re: DOTP 2013 before start gaming

Postby RiiakShiNal » 27 Feb 2013, 17:56

Takhen wrote:That I was asking to me, and now to you, is about what could we do with the DOTP 2013: the THETA version makes impossibile to use the multiplayer mode?
Would it be possible to play against any other user with internet or LAN connection or the AI is the only way?
If it is possible I could play also with someone of you, if you want :)
Unfortunately, after trying it with another member of this forum we can't find any way to use any of the cracked versions online (even through LAN), so AI is going to be your only opponent if you use a cracked version. If you use Steam version you can play online, but if there are differences in the WADs there may very well be sync issues that will prevent you from playing.

Takhen wrote:A second question is about the DOTP 2012: My pc is not so updated, so newer is the game, more is the slowness
So I was thing, could I use the DOPT 2012 (I have the SKIDROW, but I could search the THETA as I did for 2013) ad insert in it the decks I am doing in the same way that 2013, or with a little modify, or the difference between the two is too much?
Many cards can be made in DotP 2012, but due to differences the cards would need to be recoded. Also due to engine differences there are some cards that can be coded in DotP 2013, that can't be coded in DotP 2012.

Takhen wrote:My last question is something in particular for me, not so important: I like to use the Windows Mode (and it is weird that the game is faster that in Full Screen), but every time I close the game it returns to Full Screen, there is a way to lock the option in Windows Mode? It is not so important, but considering that the menù is the slowest part of the game it is a little bad to me
I personally use windowed mode (makes it easier to flip between cards I'm coding and the game for debug purposes), but once I changed it in game through the options it never changed back to full screen.

There seems to be a fullscreen option in config.cfg in the DotP directory, you could probably specify that you don't want fullscreen by setting it to 0. It looks like you can also control a few other items there (screen size, anti-aliasing, language, etc...). It's possible that if you installed to Program Files, that the game can't write to that file due to windows permissions and that could be why it seems like your settings reset every time you start the game.
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Postby Takhen » 27 Feb 2013, 20:54

RiiakShiNal wrote:Unfortunately, after trying it with another member of this forum we can't find any way to use any of the cracked versions online (even through LAN), so AI is going to be your only opponent if you use a cracked version. If you use Steam version you can play online, but if there are differences in the WADs there may very well be sync issues that will prevent you from playing.
I don't know, I downloaded it on internet, so it should be cracked, but I don't know about steam, if is something like a patch, a dll or the original game from cd

RiiakShiNal wrote:Many cards can be made in DotP 2012, but due to differences the cards would need to be recoded. Also due to engine differences there are some cards that can be coded in DotP 2013, that can't be coded in DotP 2012.
The modifies would be a lot to do and my "studies" until now will have been useless or something you could suggest me in some little words?

RiiakShiNal wrote:I personally use windowed mode (makes it easier to flip between cards I'm coding and the game for debug purposes), but once I changed it in game through the options it never changed back to full screen.

There seems to be a fullscreen option in config.cfg in the DotP directory, you could probably specify that you don't want fullscreen by setting it to 0. It looks like you can also control a few other items there (screen size, anti-aliasing, language, etc...). It's possible that if you installed to Program Files, that the game can't write to that file due to windows permissions and that could be why it seems like your settings reset every time you start the game.
This is right and how it should be! I installed the game in the directory the installer chosed in order to don't annoy the installation and it is in C/Program Files/Wizard of the coast/Magic dotp 2013/dotp2013 or something like that, but I have to say that the other option such as that of doesn't use the Simplied Target, are retained when I restart the game so I can't say if the problem is the same you said, if it is how could I solve exactly, only by manual, or I could install the game in a different way? I like that my options work without I have to manually change the files
Then if it is the only way I will do manually
Takhen

Postby thefiremind » 27 Feb 2013, 21:32

Think twice before switching to DotP2012... the differences aren't that many, but enough to make very hard for me (and probably even more for RiiakShiNal who never modded DotP2012) to keep helping you. Why don't you just use lower graphic settings on DotP2013?
< Former DotP 2012/2013/2014 modder >
Currently busy with life...
thefiremind
Programmer

Postby Takhen » 27 Feb 2013, 22:39

The best I have done is to delete some graphics particulars: shadows, zoom...
But something that get low the graphic in a sensible way seems not be there

If it is difficult I can keep 2013, but you know how to reduce very well the slowness?

Think I was also thinking to delete the 3-4 videos before the menù (also if the best problem is the menù itself) to make faster this game!
Takhen

Postby thefiremind » 27 Feb 2013, 22:47

Takhen wrote:If it is difficult I can keep 2013, but you know how to reduce very well the slowness?
If you reduce everything and it's not enough, then there's nothing to do. But don't think that DotP2012 would be much different, I think it uses the exact same graphic engine.

Takhen wrote:Think I was also thinking to delete the 3-4 videos before the menù (also if the best problem is the menù itself) to make faster this game!
I did that. I stored the movies in a ZIP file so I can restore them if I need to, and deleted the original copies from the Movies folder.
thefiremind
Programmer

Postby Takhen » 27 Feb 2013, 23:45

hahahahaha, I am not the only enemy of the movies!

Beh, they are similar
In a first time the 2013 looked faster than 2012 on my pc!
But the problem is the menù more than the game, can't I change the background, or delete the shadows of the "tables"?
Otherwise I think I can only keep patience about the slowness...
Takhen

Postby RiiakShiNal » 28 Feb 2013, 14:46

Takhen wrote:I don't know, I downloaded it on internet, so it should be cracked, but I don't know about steam, if is something like a patch, a dll or the original game from cd
Steam version is not Cracked. Theta and Skidrow are both Cracked.

Takhen wrote:This is right and how it should be! I installed the game in the directory the installer chosed in order to don't annoy the installation and it is in C/Program Files/Wizard of the coast/Magic dotp 2013/dotp2013 or something like that, but I have to say that the other option such as that of doesn't use the Simplied Target, are retained when I restart the game so I can't say if the problem is the same you said, if it is how could I solve exactly, only by manual, or I could install the game in a different way? I like that my options work without I have to manually change the files
Then if it is the only way I will do manually
"Simplified Targeting" and other such options (music volumes, etc...) are stored in the player profile, which if Theta can't write to a swarm directory (in the game's directory) it will put it into another location that it can write to.

You have 4 options:
  1. Run the game as Administrator (this will give it write permissions).
  2. Edit the "config.cfg" file I mentioned before.
  3. Install the game to a directory that all users can write to.
  4. Change the permissions on the directory it is already in to allow all user to write to.

I recommend either option 1 (it is the easiest and should do what you need) or option 2 (still easy and should do what you need without giving extra permissions to things that don't really need them). If you don't already know how to change permissions then don't even consider option 4 because I'm not going to explain it (beyond the scope of this topic and forum).
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Postby Takhen » 02 Mar 2013, 18:41

Takhen wrote:Run the game as Administrator (this will give it write permissions).
It was simple!
Thank you :)
Takhen

Postby Takhen » 03 Mar 2013, 00:58

As result of my "forum-tour" I found some links I would like to show you, I put them here, to not open another topic uselessly :)

http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=3551
In this topic I see a patch
It is for DOTP2010, but there is something similar for 2013?
I see also Flipping card as Bushi Tenderfoot, those are possible to make?

http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=3153
http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=5902
From those I saw that you tried to code also the planeswalkers' cards (also if maybe those topics are both not about 2013), still now there are some good results? :)

http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/download/file.php?id=5353&mode=view
This is one that gave me more interest, this is a bug, or what?
According with my hypotesis it looks like that is possible to modify the cards also while playing without needing to close and run the game every time
It would be great useful! It is? Or what other?

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/7116/unlockbutton.jpg
This image shows a button for "Unlock full deck", I have only the button of Promo, I never saw that other button before, it means there is a problem?

http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=7698
I also found this, this talk about "each card for each set", what exactly it is? Could be useful for 2013?
Takhen

Postby RiiakShiNal » 03 Mar 2013, 03:38

Takhen wrote:As result of my "forum-tour" I found some links I would like to show you, I put them here, to not open another topic uselessly :)

http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=3551
In this topic I see a patch
It is for DOTP2010, but there is something similar for 2013?
I see also Flipping card as Bushi Tenderfoot, those are possible to make?
That is basically just a large mod for DotP 2010 (made by several modders including kevlahnota).

As for Bushi Tenderfoot, the way it is coded for DotP 2010 it could be converted for DotP 2013, though several workarounds were made for the DotP 2010 version which were partially based on limitations of the engine (like the counting all the counters to put on the "flipped" card) which may have issues with some of the new engine features (like being able to essentially "create" different types of counters, there would be no way to code for all of them). So the answer is flipping cards could be coded, but may have issues.

Takhen wrote:http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=3153
http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=5902
From those I saw that you tried to code also the planeswalkers' cards (also if maybe those topics are both not about 2013), still now there are some good results? :)
No, there still is no way to make Planeswalkers in DotP (any of the versions) the support needed to make them just isn't in the engine.

Takhen wrote:http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/download/file.php?id=5353&mode=view
This is one that gave me more interest, this is a bug, or what?
According with my hypotesis it looks like that is possible to modify the cards also while playing without needing to close and run the game every time
It looks like a screen shot from DotP 2012, but I haven't seen anything like that in DotP 2013. If it is a working "debug" mode then that might help for coding cards in DotP 2012, but only that version.

Takhen wrote:http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/7116/unlockbutton.jpg
This image shows a button for "Unlock full deck", I have only the button of Promo, I never saw that other button before, it means there is a problem?
The button only shows up if there are locked sideboard cards for the deck that are not promo cards. If the deck is fully unlocked then the button won't show up. If the only sideboard cards for the deck are promo unlocks then the button won't show up. If the deck has no promo unlocks and there are 10 or fewer regular unlocks then the button won't show up. If all regular unlocks are already unlocked then the button won't show up.

Takhen wrote:http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=7698
I also found this, this talk about "each card for each set", what exactly it is? Could be useful for 2013?
They are skeleton XMLs, meaning they have the base framework and texts for the cards, but virtually none of the ability coding. Most of them would have to be coded before they would work.
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Postby thefiremind » 03 Mar 2013, 10:00

Takhen wrote:I see also Flipping card as Bushi Tenderfoot, those are possible to make?
I think that flip cards could be coded as transform cards with the method that I started to invent and BlindWillow refined. Their frame wouldn't be the right one and you wouldn't be able to see what the card becomes when flipped, but still better than nothing.

Takhen wrote:From those I saw that you tried to code also the planeswalkers' cards (also if maybe those topics are both not about 2013), still now there are some good results? :)
I know about the old attempts on coding a planeswalker, and they were based on making the planeswalker as an enchantment, which gives more problems than it solves. :lol:

Takhen wrote:This is one that gave me more interest, this is a bug, or what?
My guess is that this is a mode accessible on DotP2012 by using this executable, but I never struggled to find how to access it because I wouldn't know what to do with it. And I never tried to ask nabeshin more about it because nabeshin is known to be very cryptic with his answers (not because of his English, that is understandable enough). :D
Anyway I'm sure that you can't modify the cards on runtime with it, you could at most watch what they do a bit more deeply.
thefiremind
Programmer

Postby Takhen » 03 Mar 2013, 13:47

Thank you guys

It looks like that these my links from old topics are a little bit useless, at least for 2013... :(
Takhen

Return to Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers