It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 23:14

Text Size

COST Limitations *Solved*

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

COST Limitations *Solved*

Postby RiiakShiNal » 18 Jul 2013, 17:52

It seems the game has a built-in limitation on costs using the COST tag. I was coding Benthic Explorers and noticed that no matter how I tried to code the cost "Untap a tapped land an opponent controls" using the COST tag (as types "Untap" and "Generic") I was unable to get the ability to ever be available. However, if I put almost the exact same code in a couple of PLAY_TIME_ACTIONS everything works fine. The limitation seems to be that items used for the COST tag must be controlled by the EffectController() and not by any other player.

Here are a couple of attempts:

Using type "Untap":
Code: Select all
      <COST type="Untap" definition="0" compartment="1" query_tag="CARD_QUERY_CHOOSE_LAND_TO_UNTAP" item_count="1" />
      <COST_DEFINITION id="0">
         local oFilter = ClearFilter()
         oFilter:Add( FE_TYPE, OP_IS, CARD_TYPE_LAND )
         oFilter:Add( FE_TEAM, OP_NOT, EffectController():GetTeam() )
         oFilter:Add( FE_IS_TAPPED, true )
      </COST_DEFINITION>
If you comment out the line that limits to just opponent controlled lands then it will let you untap your own lands for the cost.

Using type "Generic":
      <COST type="Generic">
         <PLAY_TIME_ACTION>
            EffectController():ChooseItem( "CARD_QUERY_CHOOSE_LAND_TO_UNTAP", EffectDC():Make_Targets( 1 ) )
         </PLAY_TIME_ACTION>
         <RESOLUTION_TIME_ACTION>
            local oLand = EffectDC():Get_Targets(1):Get_CardPtr(0)
            if (oLand ~= nil) then
               oLand:Untap()
            end
         </RESOLUTION_TIME_ACTION>
      </COST>
I did not bother trying to comment out the line that limits just to opponent controlled lands on this one as then it would do basically the exact same thing as this first test.

Ultimately, I got the card working by changing it from a COST to a couple of PLAY_TIME_ACTIONS that happen before anything else in the ability. Though I just could not get it to work as a COST, if someone sees something I did wrong and can get it working using COST tags please tell me.

Edit: I was missing the PREREQUISITE block which allows the Generic cost to work:
Benthic Explorers (Fully Working) | Open
<?xml version='1.0'?>
<CARD_V2>
   <FILENAME text="RSN_BENTHIC_EXPLORERS_201159" />
   <CARDNAME text="BENTHIC_EXPLORERS" />
   <TITLE>
      <LOCALISED_TEXT LanguageCode="en-US"><![CDATA[Benthic Explorers]]></LOCALISED_TEXT>
      <LOCALISED_TEXT LanguageCode="fr-FR"><![CDATA[Benthic Explorers]]></LOCALISED_TEXT>
      <LOCALISED_TEXT LanguageCode="es-ES"><![CDATA[Benthic Explorers]]></LOCALISED_TEXT>
      <LOCALISED_TEXT LanguageCode="de-DE"><![CDATA[Benthic Explorers]]></LOCALISED_TEXT>
      <LOCALISED_TEXT LanguageCode="it-IT"><![CDATA[Benthic Explorers]]></LOCALISED_TEXT>
      <LOCALISED_TEXT LanguageCode="jp-JA"><![CDATA[Benthic Explorers]]></LOCALISED_TEXT>
      <LOCALISED_TEXT LanguageCode="ko-KR"><![CDATA[Benthic Explorers]]></LOCALISED_TEXT>
      <LOCALISED_TEXT LanguageCode="ru-RU"><![CDATA[Benthic Explorers]]></LOCALISED_TEXT>
      <LOCALISED_TEXT LanguageCode="pt-BR"><![CDATA[Benthic Explorers]]></LOCALISED_TEXT>
   </TITLE>
   <MULTIVERSEID value="201159" />
   <ARTID value="RSN201159" />
   <ARTIST name="Greg Simanson" />
   <CASTING_COST cost="{3}{U}" />
   <FLAVOURTEXT>
      <LOCALISED_TEXT LanguageCode="en-US"><![CDATA[The rising oceans brought new lakes—and new terrors—to Terisiare. The Explorers found their ancient enemies spawning everywhere.]]></LOCALISED_TEXT>
      <LOCALISED_TEXT LanguageCode="fr-FR"><![CDATA[The rising oceans brought new lakes—and new terrors—to Terisiare. The Explorers found their ancient enemies spawning everywhere.]]></LOCALISED_TEXT>
      <LOCALISED_TEXT LanguageCode="es-ES"><![CDATA[The rising oceans brought new lakes—and new terrors—to Terisiare. The Explorers found their ancient enemies spawning everywhere.]]></LOCALISED_TEXT>
      <LOCALISED_TEXT LanguageCode="de-DE"><![CDATA[The rising oceans brought new lakes—and new terrors—to Terisiare. The Explorers found their ancient enemies spawning everywhere.]]></LOCALISED_TEXT>
      <LOCALISED_TEXT LanguageCode="it-IT"><![CDATA[The rising oceans brought new lakes—and new terrors—to Terisiare. The Explorers found their ancient enemies spawning everywhere.]]></LOCALISED_TEXT>
      <LOCALISED_TEXT LanguageCode="jp-JA"><![CDATA[The rising oceans brought new lakes—and new terrors—to Terisiare. The Explorers found their ancient enemies spawning everywhere.]]></LOCALISED_TEXT>
      <LOCALISED_TEXT LanguageCode="ko-KR"><![CDATA[The rising oceans brought new lakes—and new terrors—to Terisiare. The Explorers found their ancient enemies spawning everywhere.]]></LOCALISED_TEXT>
      <LOCALISED_TEXT LanguageCode="ru-RU"><![CDATA[The rising oceans brought new lakes—and new terrors—to Terisiare. The Explorers found their ancient enemies spawning everywhere.]]></LOCALISED_TEXT>
      <LOCALISED_TEXT LanguageCode="pt-BR"><![CDATA[The rising oceans brought new lakes—and new terrors—to Terisiare. The Explorers found their ancient enemies spawning everywhere.]]></LOCALISED_TEXT>
   </FLAVOURTEXT>
   <TYPE metaname="Creature" />
   <SUB_TYPE metaname="Merfolk" />
   <SUB_TYPE metaname="Scout" />
   <EXPANSION value="ME3" />
   <RARITY metaname="C" />
   <POWER value="2" />
   <TOUGHNESS value="4" />
   <ACTIVATED_ABILITY forced_skip="1">
      <LOCALISED_TEXT LanguageCode="en-US"><![CDATA[{T}, Untap a tapped land an opponent controls: Add one mana of any type that land could produce to your mana pool.]]></LOCALISED_TEXT>
      <LOCALISED_TEXT LanguageCode="fr-FR"><![CDATA[{T}, Untap a tapped land an opponent controls: Add one mana of any type that land could produce to your mana pool.]]></LOCALISED_TEXT>
      <LOCALISED_TEXT LanguageCode="es-ES"><![CDATA[{T}, Untap a tapped land an opponent controls: Add one mana of any type that land could produce to your mana pool.]]></LOCALISED_TEXT>
      <LOCALISED_TEXT LanguageCode="de-DE"><![CDATA[{T}, Untap a tapped land an opponent controls: Add one mana of any type that land could produce to your mana pool.]]></LOCALISED_TEXT>
      <LOCALISED_TEXT LanguageCode="it-IT"><![CDATA[{T}, Untap a tapped land an opponent controls: Add one mana of any type that land could produce to your mana pool.]]></LOCALISED_TEXT>
      <LOCALISED_TEXT LanguageCode="jp-JA"><![CDATA[{T}, Untap a tapped land an opponent controls: Add one mana of any type that land could produce to your mana pool.]]></LOCALISED_TEXT>
      <LOCALISED_TEXT LanguageCode="ko-KR"><![CDATA[{T}, Untap a tapped land an opponent controls: Add one mana of any type that land could produce to your mana pool.]]></LOCALISED_TEXT>
      <LOCALISED_TEXT LanguageCode="ru-RU"><![CDATA[{T}, Untap a tapped land an opponent controls: Add one mana of any type that land could produce to your mana pool.]]></LOCALISED_TEXT>
      <LOCALISED_TEXT LanguageCode="pt-BR"><![CDATA[{T}, Untap a tapped land an opponent controls: Add one mana of any type that land could produce to your mana pool.]]></LOCALISED_TEXT>
      <COST type="TapSelf" />
      <COST type="Generic">
         <PREREQUISITE>
            return (oFilter:CountStopAt(1) == 1)
         </PREREQUISITE>
         <RESOLUTION_TIME_ACTION>
            EffectController():ChooseItem( "CARD_QUERY_CHOOSE_LAND_TO_UNTAP", EffectDC():Make_Targets( 1 ) )
         <RESOLUTION_TIME_ACTION>
            if (oLand ~= nil) then
            end
      </COST>
      <PLAY_TIME_ACTION>
         RSN_MarkManaAbilityStart()
      </PLAY_TIME_ACTION>
      <RESOLUTION_TIME_ACTION>
         local oPlayer = EffectController()
         if ((oPlayer ~= nil) and (oLand ~= nil) and (RSN_GetFirstProducibleColour( oLand ) ~= -1)) then
            oPlayer:BeginNewMultipleChoice()
            oPlayer:AddMultipleChoiceAnswer( "RSN_MODE_PRODUCE_C", RSN_GetCanProduceMana( oLand, COLOUR_COLOURLESS ) )
            oPlayer:AddMultipleChoiceAnswer( "RSN_MODE_PRODUCE_W", RSN_GetCanProduceMana( oLand, COLOUR_WHITE ) )
            oPlayer:AddMultipleChoiceAnswer( "RSN_MODE_PRODUCE_U", RSN_GetCanProduceMana( oLand, COLOUR_BLUE ) )
            oPlayer:AddMultipleChoiceAnswer( "RSN_MODE_PRODUCE_B", RSN_GetCanProduceMana( oLand, COLOUR_BLACK ) )
            oPlayer:AddMultipleChoiceAnswer( "RSN_MODE_PRODUCE_R", RSN_GetCanProduceMana( oLand, COLOUR_RED ) )
            oPlayer:AddMultipleChoiceAnswer( "RSN_MODE_PRODUCE_G", RSN_GetCanProduceMana( oLand, COLOUR_GREEN ) )
            oPlayer:AskMultipleChoiceQuestion( "MODE_CHOOSE_ONE", oCard )
         end
      <RESOLUTION_TIME_ACTION>
         if ((oLand ~= nil) and (RSN_GetFirstProducibleColour( oLand ) ~= -1)) then
            local nColour = EffectController():GetMultipleChoiceResult()
            if (nColour == COLOUR_COLOURLESS) then
               RSN_Produce( "{1}", 1 )
            elseif (nColour == COLOUR_BLACK) then
               RSN_Produce( "{B}", 1 )
            elseif (nColour == COLOUR_BLUE) then
               RSN_Produce( "{U}", 1 )
            elseif (nColour == COLOUR_GREEN) then
               RSN_Produce( "{G}", 1 )
            elseif (nColour == COLOUR_RED) then
               RSN_Produce( "{R}", 1 )
            elseif (nColour == COLOUR_WHITE) then
               RSN_Produce( "{W}", 1 )
            end
         end
      <RESOLUTION_TIME_ACTION>
         RSN_EliminateExtraManaTokens()
         RSN_MarkManaAbilityEnd()
      <AI_AVAILABILITY window_step="upkeep" type="window" />
      <AI_AVAILABILITY window_step="main_1" window_turn="my_turn" type="window" />
      <AI_AVAILABILITY window_step="begin_combat" window_turn="their_turn" type="window" />
      <AI_AVAILABILITY window_step="declare_attackers" window_turn="their_turn" type="window" />
      <AI_AVAILABILITY window_step="declare_blockers" type="window" />
      <AI_AVAILABILITY window_step="main_2" window_turn="my_turn" type="window" />
      <AI_AVAILABILITY window_step="end_of_turn" type="window" />
      <AI_AVAILABILITY window_step="end_of_turn" window_turn="their_turn" type="window" />
      <AI_AVAILABILITY type="in_response" response_source="1" response_target="1" />
      <AI_AVAILABILITY type="in_response" response_source="1" />
      <AI_AVAILABILITY type="in_response" response_target="1" />
   </ACTIVATED_ABILITY>
   <TRIGGERED_ABILITY forced_skip="1" replacement_effect="1">
      <TRIGGER value="BEGINNING_OF_STEP" pre_trigger="1" />
      <RESOLUTION_TIME_ACTION>
         RSN_ClearProducedMana()
   </TRIGGERED_ABILITY>
   <TRIGGERED_ABILITY forced_skip="1" replacement_effect="1">
      <TRIGGER value="ZONECHANGE_END" to_zone="ZONE_BATTLEFIELD" from_zone="ZONE_ANY">
         -- Since we only care about lands for checking what we can produce.
         return ((TriggerObject() ~= nil) and (TriggerObject():GetCardType():Test( CARD_TYPE_LAND )))
      </TRIGGER>
      <TRIGGER value="ZONECHANGE_END" from_zone="ZONE_BATTLEFIELD" to_zone="ZONE_ANY">
         -- Since we only care about lands for checking what we can produce.
         return ((TriggerObject() ~= nil) and (TriggerObject():GetCardType():Test( CARD_TYPE_LAND )))
      </TRIGGER>
      <RESOLUTION_TIME_ACTION>
         RSN_ClearCanProduceMana()
         -- Look through my opponents' lands to see what this can produce.
         for i=0, (MTG():GetNumberOfPlayers() - 1) do
            local oPlayer = MTG():GetNthPlayer( i )
            if (oPlayer:GetTeam() ~= EffectController():GetTeam()) then
               RSN_MarkCanProduceColourOfAnyTypeOtherLandPlayerControls( oPlayer )
            end
         end
   </TRIGGERED_ABILITY>
   <TOKEN_REGISTRATION reservation="1" type="RSN_TOKEN_MANA_B" />
   <TOKEN_REGISTRATION reservation="1" type="RSN_TOKEN_MANA_C" />
   <TOKEN_REGISTRATION reservation="1" type="RSN_TOKEN_MANA_G" />
   <TOKEN_REGISTRATION reservation="1" type="RSN_TOKEN_MANA_R" />
   <TOKEN_REGISTRATION reservation="1" type="RSN_TOKEN_MANA_U" />
   <TOKEN_REGISTRATION reservation="1" type="RSN_TOKEN_MANA_W" />
</CARD_V2>
Last edited by RiiakShiNal on 18 Jul 2013, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Re: COST Limitations

Postby thefiremind » 18 Jul 2013, 17:59

I think that the predefined costs (such as untap, tap, sacrifice, etc.) are set to work only on what's controlled by EffectController(), as you said. But I'm almost sure that the generic cost would have worked, the problem is that you missed the PREREQUISITE block. I remember someone else having discovered that it's mandatory, even with only "return true" inside.
< Former DotP 2012/2013/2014 modder >
Currently busy with life...
thefiremind
Programmer

Re: COST Limitations

Postby RiiakShiNal » 18 Jul 2013, 18:16

Ahh... That was the piece I was missing, this works:
      <COST type="Generic">
         <PREREQUISITE>
            return (oFilter:CountStopAt(1) == 1)
         </PREREQUISITE>
         <RESOLUTION_TIME_ACTION>
         <RESOLUTION_TIME_ACTION>
            if (oLand ~= nil) then
            end
      </COST>
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Return to Programming Talk