It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:53

Text Size

DotP 2014 Coming up with a Strionic Resonator workaround

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

DotP 2014 Coming up with a Strionic Resonator workaround

Postby MC Brodie » 07 Sep 2013, 22:07

Strionic Resonator seems like a fun card to play with. After watching Michael Jacob copy Aurelia, the Warleader's ability in the Community Cup I started thinking of ways that Strionic Resonator could be coded in DotP. The only thing I could think of is rewriting triggered abilities as a spell. For example, Acidic Slime would be coded so that when it entered the battlefield, it would cast a copy of a spell that would destroy an artifact, creature, or land. Then the copy of the destruction spell would go onto the stack and be potentially able to be copied by Strionic Resonator.

Is something like this possible? I started looking at the Cipher code and it uses "CopySpell()" and "CastSpellForFree()". Is it possible to copy a spell not in any decklist? My gut reaction is no and this idea will not work but I figured I'd ask.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Song of the Day: 46 and 2 (cover)
MC Brodie

Re: DotP 2014 Coming up with a Strionic Resonator workaround

Postby thefiremind » 07 Sep 2013, 22:24

You can't copy something that isn't in any deck: where would you copy it from? And tokens exist only on the battlefield, if you were thinking about them. But to be honest, even if the idea worked, I wouldn't recommend it: you are basically talking about rewriting hundreds of cards in order to make a couple of cards doable... and I won't even start to think how many other cards you would break in the process ("Whenever you cast a spell...").

If you really want to try something, try to find a way to get a pointer to an ability on the stack (it doesn't matter if you can't click it) by looking here and here: there's a STACK_OBJECT_ABILITY constant that should be passed to the SetStackObjectType function for filters. Theoretically, we should be able to filter abilities on the stack, evaluate the filter, take one of the evaluated abilities, and do something with it (there's no function to copy it, though). Of course nobody knows whether those things work or not, let alone how they work... that's the problem. :lol: I tried once with DotP2013 but with no results.
EDIT: Now that I remember, in DotP2013 evaluating objects on the stack didn't work at all (not even for spells).
< Former DotP 2012/2013/2014 modder >
Currently busy with life...
thefiremind
Programmer

Re: DotP 2014 Coming up with a Strionic Resonator workaround

Postby MC Brodie » 07 Sep 2013, 22:43

I know it would involve rewriting a bunch of cards. I was only got to make it for a single deck and wouldn't have released it. I'll look into those things you've said but doubt I'll get anywhere fast if anywhere at all. Thanks for the response.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Song of the Day: 46 and 2 (cover)
MC Brodie

Return to Programming Talk