It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:43

Text Size

Coded Cards and Arts Data Base

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Coded Cards and Arts Data Base

Postby JorUge » 02 Jan 2014, 21:05

Hello everyone,

Im very happy to participate that big project and I want help others how as I can.

Is possible to put my coded cards and edited arts in some place here to help other programers?
For me dont make any sense rework in a card if other friend already coded a card before.

Have sense in improove a code, but not rework.
JorUge

Re: Coded Cards and Arts Data Base

Postby RiiakShiNal » 02 Jan 2014, 21:41

We do not have a card or art database. This has come up several times and everyone who has attempted to make any such database or repository has eventually given up on it (though there are many many threads on the subject). There are pros and cons to each proposed/implemented database/repository method and everyone has their own reasons either to use or not to use each of those methods. If you can come up with a system that is simple and everyone will use then more power to you, the rest of us have problems handling our own projects.

We can't even get all modders to agree with and follow some basic Best Practices to keep problems to a minimum. For example some modders want to make all-inclusive mods where everything required (cards, functions, text, decks, etc...) for a mod is included in a single wad even if that means including work from other mod authors, however, the best practice is to keep decks and cards in separate wads and reference other mods as dependencies if resources from them are needed rather than including those resources. So if we can't get everyone to agree with something as simple as this then trying to get everyone to agree to use a large database/repository which may or may not be easy to use is going to be like pulling teeth.

Also sometimes it does make sense to write cards that others have already written. For example with mana producing cards many can be coded in multiple ways. For example Birds of Paradise (for DotP 2014) can be coded in the following ways:
  1. Using an ACTIVATED_ABILITY to choose colour which then grants the appropriate MANA_ABILITY. Uses a default colour to provide the initial MANA_ABILITY.
  2. Auto-detects what colours the deck uses and automatically chooses a MANA_ABILITY based on which used colour there is least of.
  3. Using an ACTIVATED_ABILITY to choose a colour and produce a mana token of that colour which has a MANA_ABILITY for that colour. My Manual Mana functions use this approach.

Each of the 3 methods has their own pros and cons and none of them provide a flawless method for coding Birds of Paradise.
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Return to Programming Talk