It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 04:29

Text Size

PHASING - ALPHA TEST - NEO VER 0.1

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Re: PHASING - ALPHA TEST - NEO VER 0.1

Postby NeoAnderson » 15 Oct 2014, 01:58

RiiakShiNal wrote:This can also be interpreted as other than how a card is treated phasing-in-and-out has no other effect to a card's status. So cards that trigger on other card's zone changes may also not work in relation to your ability code since you move the card to ZONE_CEASED_TO_EXIST. This obviously won't affect dies triggers as the card isn't going to the graveyard, but it may cause other triggers to erroneously fire.
Riiak as i said before i know what you are trying to exaplain,
I would answer to you as the follow :
1. We cannot know if an effect applied to a card is neverending effect or it has a condition, fo r example you take control of an artifact with Aladdin. When you check the controller of that artifact it returns the controller of Aladdin, if you store copiable values it only store the controller pointer not the duration of the effect. So if you also reapply the copiable values you have to establish a new duration.

2. Move a card to ZONE_CEASED_TO_EXIST , doesn't trigger any zonechange triggers (Tested for all kind of cards), the problem is when you move it back from that zone to the battlefield, in this case some triggers could fire, but with my code i avoid this condition.
The cards never fire any ZONE_CHANGE trigger, i tested with many kind of cards like
1a. Ajani’s Chosen
1b. Angelic Chorus
1c. Cathars’ Crusade
1d. Dual Nature
1e. Dreadbringer Lampads - And all Constellation cards.
1f. Altar of the Brood

3. I also tried another way to make Phase out cards, copying an invisible token, with no types and colours, but the engine will crash if you use a token of this kind with usecopiablevalues function. (Also if this worked there was the issue of the permanents count, any card also without type will be counted as permanent onto battlefield with filter permanent, true...)

So if we can accept that this is an approximation, we can says that phase-out cards will lose any effect received by resolution effect before to phasing-out, but at least they keep counters, cloning information, Aura and equipment attached, flipping information (Flip cards), Morph status (Facedown cards).

If you have some idea how to improve this implementation i will be really glad to receive some help.
NeoAnderson

Postby RiiakShiNal » 15 Oct 2014, 10:48

I can accept it is an approximation, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a known issue and should be listed with the known issues (as this breaks card interactions) and not simply glossed over. When you don't list all the known issues you can give an unrealistic view of an approximation to both others who are looking at it and to yourself if it has been long enough for you to forget some things.

As for being in the count of permanents from using filters with FE_IS_PERMANENT, true, that is a known issue (for more than a year now) with all invisible permanents which is why coded cards are not supposed to use that command and are instead supposed to check for cards that have at least one type (see Annihilator and mana tokens). This is also why we aren't supposed to do negative type checks unless we have some other positive check in the filter so that invisible tokens can't be chosen. If cards start removing, altering, or taking into account invisible tokens then all sorts of approximations will be broken (planeswalkers, manual mana, custom characteristics, morph cards, etc...).
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Postby NeoAnderson » 15 Oct 2014, 11:13

RiiakShiNal wrote:I can accept it is an approximation, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a known issue and should be listed with the known issues (as this breaks card interactions) and not simply glossed over. When you don't list all the known issues you can give an unrealistic view of an approximation to both others who are looking at it and to yourself if it has been long enough for you to forget some things.

As for being in the count of permanents from using filters with FE_IS_PERMANENT, true, that is a known issue (for more than a year now) with all invisible permanents which is why coded cards are not supposed to use that command and are instead supposed to check for cards that have at least one type (see Annihilator and mana tokens). This is also why we aren't supposed to do negative type checks unless we have some other positive check in the filter so that invisible tokens can't be chosen. If cards start removing, altering, or taking into account invisible tokens then all sorts of approximations will be broken (planeswalkers, manual mana, custom characteristics, morph cards, etc...).
That's right problaby i used a bad way to describe the status of the approximation, in fact i talked about this kind of issue but only related to control changing effect, but as you pointed it includes also other kind of effects, gained before phasing out.
I will be sure to make a detailed list of all know issues when i will finish to modify it.
Thx to pointed and better explained your opinion as always is useful to make the things more clear.
NeoAnderson

Previous

Return to Programming Talk