It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 12:51

Text Size

Possibility of mod disabling timer on multiplayer matches

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Possibility of mod disabling timer on multiplayer matches

Postby theblunderbuss » 02 Aug 2016, 21:50

Hello folks,

Playing DotP (2014) with friends against the AI is a regular ocurrence for me. For ages we've been hoping there would be a way to disable the timer on those sort of matches since it only gets in our way and gives no benefit to the AI in its absolute patience.

I had no idea there was such an active mod scene so when I found the site out I started to look for information in case there was already a mod developed to achieve a solution to our problem or we could somewhat inexpensively develop one ourselves (since it's in our line of business.) I've been skimming over the wiki and forum threads but haven't been able to get a definitive answer to whether such a thing is possible and would love some input before I a spend lot of time trying to figure it out by myself:

In short: Does anyone know if it's possible to disable the timer (akin to single player) for multiplayer matches? Has there been any mods addressing this and if not, is there any information we might draw from to develop our own?

Thanks a bundle for your time~!
Cheers.
theblunderbuss

Re: Possibility of mod disabling timer on multiplayer matche

Postby RiiakShiNal » 02 Aug 2016, 22:42

From a standard modding perspective, disabling the multiplayer timer is not possible as it is part of the engine and we don't have access to the engine.

From a purely technical perspective, then yes, it is possible as you could statically reverse engineer the executable and its dlls using a disassembler (or attempt to reverse engineer it while it is running using a debugger) write a dynamically loaded dll (like what is done for the disabling the wad check) and have all players use it. Though for most of us this is beyond us at this point in time.
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Re: Possibility of mod disabling timer on multiplayer matche

Postby theblunderbuss » 02 Aug 2016, 22:54

Thanks a bundle for the reply. I wanted to have a quick "state of the art" overview in regards to this topic and your answer sums it up nicely.

Cheers~!

PS: Bit of a bummer though =(
theblunderbuss

Return to Programming Talk