It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 03:43

Text Size

Adding new counter types

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Adding new counter types

Postby BlindWillow » 24 Oct 2012, 21:18

And a question for good measure:

I was setting up "hatchling" counters for Ludevic's Test Subject, but I don't seem to be able to do so. I looked through the other mods and saw that thefiremind's has the most complete list of counters, so I took his card layout file and added another counter type to that like so:

<COUNTER_23_TYPE_NAME string="Hatchling"/>
<COUNTER_23_LUMP_FILENAME string="default"/>
<COUNTER_23_COLOUR_R integer="50"/>
<COUNTER_23_COLOUR_G integer="75"/>
<COUNTER_23_COLOUR_B integer="150"/>
<COUNTER_23_COLOUR_A integer="255"/>
<COUNTER_23_ROTATION float="330"/>

In game, though, none of my color and rotation settings work. Any ideas why?
BlindWillow

Re: Adding new counter types

Postby BlindWillow » 25 Oct 2012, 05:32

No luck. I'm not even convinced the game is reading any external config files. It seems to just be assigning all counters above thirteen the color red. I'll just use Scroll counters for Ludevic's Test Subject, since they're not used anywhere but on a plane card (Aretopolis).
BlindWillow

Postby thefiremind » 25 Oct 2012, 08:36

I think you did everything right, maybe you have another mod with counter definitions which is read in place of yours?
You see the red color for the undefined counters because the game picks the latest defined counter color as default.
< Former DotP 2012/2013/2014 modder >
Currently busy with life...
thefiremind
Programmer

Postby BlindWillow » 25 Oct 2012, 16:08

thefiremind wrote:I think you did everything right, maybe you have another mod with counter definitions which is read in place of yours?
You see the red color for the undefined counters because the game picks the latest defined counter color as default.
So you're thinking it's the Javelin counter (as I'm using your card layout file as a base) that's the last one being read, right? I guess I'll keep experimenting to see if I find anything out. I thought I had tried running my mod alone, but perhaps I overlooked another one.

In any case, maybe we should consider creating a single card layout file with all the counter types we might need for inclusion in either the core fixes mod or the community mod. That way we can all rely on just the one file.
BlindWillow

Postby BlindWillow » 25 Oct 2012, 17:49

Got it working. I don't recall why, but at some point I decided to try adding the extra counters to the original card layout file and using that in my mod. That is what doesn't work (and interestingly in the original card layout file the last four "old" counters are red. Starting solely with your card layout file and adding my "hatchling" counter works. So, for anyone looking to add counters, don't do it with the original card layout file. Use thefiremind's (or better yet let's come up with that collective one we can all use).
BlindWillow

Postby thefiremind » 25 Oct 2012, 20:38

BlindWillow wrote:So you're thinking it's the Javelin counter (as I'm using your card layout file as a base) that's the last one being read, right?
I tested this behaviour so I'm sure. When the last of my defined counters was the spore counter, which is green, all the non-defined counters were green. I defined the javelin counter as red because I'm satisfied with it being red, and I wanted to keep the non-defined ones of the same color.

BlindWillow wrote:Starting solely with your card layout file and adding my "hatchling" counter works.
The only thing I did to the existing counters was to set LUMP_FILENAME string="default" on the "old" ones (and change their colors, but this shouldn't be relevant).
< Former DotP 2012/2013/2014 modder >
Currently busy with life...
thefiremind
Programmer

Postby BlindWillow » 25 Oct 2012, 20:44

thefiremind wrote:The only thing I did to the existing counters was to set LUMP_FILENAME string="default" on the "old" ones (and change their colors, but this shouldn't be relevant).
It shouldn't be, but I think it must have done something. Weird...

Edit: No, I just really need to synchronize my laptop and my desktop. On my laptop I was only running my mod. So it worked there. It's on my desktop that it doesn't work, and there I have several other mods running. I'll try to narrow things down.
BlindWillow

Postby BlindWillow » 27 Oct 2012, 04:12

Actually, it looks like the conflict is coming from your card layout file :lol:. It's not until I add it into the mix that my hatchling counters go red. It's very strange, though. I can't for the life of me see why this happens. There's no issue with kevlahnota's card layout file. What's the big difference here?
BlindWillow

Return to Programming Talk