It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 15:24

Text Size

Oldtimer deck suggestion

User-made mods in DLC (Downloadable Content) form.
Get MTG cards here for your DotP that aren't available anywhere else!

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Oldtimer deck suggestion

Postby jostlerus » 16 Nov 2014, 08:35

I wasn't sure where to post this suggestion since I am using
Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013, but
most of my cards are 4th and 5th edition. To some of these
kids I may need a walking cane in here.

It seems like a general overall design problem, or deck building suggestion.
so here it goes...

After collecting a mass amount of cards, you tend to just pick a color
and make a deck to play with that night. Some gamers even choose randomly
before the night begins, so that even the dominating decks will be randomly put in.

The problem I am having is your group likes the small premade decks ready to go,
and there is no files for color supreme's.

my suggestion would be to make a deck of each color, and put two of each card into it.
that way they can choose what type of deck they want to make for that gaming session,
or easily add onto it, when weakness occurs.

then flying decks, token generator decks, mana burning decks, defense decks, monster decks.
can all come from the same source.

I understand the difficulty of having the same cards on two different computers to play eachother,
but just as the constellations in the sky were made, you have to start out with a few pointers and
make your own designs from there.

there is already a few sources of mass quantities of cards from these smaller decks,
but having them sorted into mass decks would make the gaming to what I remember.

Sincerely yours,

Jostlerus
jostlerus

Re: Oldtimer deck suggestion

Postby Aswan jaguar » 16 Nov 2014, 08:57

Your post belongs to their forums:
viewforum.php?f=62
and especially to New MTG Cards and Decks most probably:
viewforum.php?f=64

Here are the forums of Manalink3.0 which has to do with moding the first MTG game made by Microprose in 1997.
I will move it where it belongs.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby thefiremind » 16 Nov 2014, 09:20

You are basically suggesting to make a big deck with all the cards from a color... that isn't possible since there's a limit on how many cards a deck can have, unlockables included (I can't remember what that limit was for DotP2013). For your idea of playing, DotP2015 would probably be more suited since you can build your own decks from a pool, but it's still not moddable at this time.

You may want to take a look at other MtG engines on these forums and see if there's one that suits you more. I tried Forge and it's pretty good... you won't have all the eye candies of DotP, but it's a solid engine nonetheless, frequently updated and fixed.
< Former DotP 2012/2013/2014 modder >
Currently busy with life...
thefiremind
Programmer

Postby RiiakShiNal » 16 Nov 2014, 13:18

jostlerus wrote:I wasn't sure where to post this suggestion since I am using
Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013, but
most of my cards are 4th and 5th edition. To some of these
kids I may need a walking cane in here.
Apparently, I'm not one of the "kids" as most of my physical cards come from 3rd and 4th editions (with a lot of The Dark, Ice Age, Homelands, Fallen Empires, Legends, and Chronicles mixed in).

jostlerus wrote:After collecting a mass amount of cards, you tend to just pick a color
and make a deck to play with that night. Some gamers even choose randomly
before the night begins, so that even the dominating decks will be randomly put in.
This is why we have deck editors (multiple available for DotP 2013, including my Deck Builder) which allows for anyone to build their own decks with the cards they have available.

jostlerus wrote:The problem I am having is your group likes the small premade decks ready to go,
and there is no files for color supreme's.

my suggestion would be to make a deck of each color, and put two of each card into it.
that way they can choose what type of deck they want to make for that gaming session,
or easily add onto it, when weakness occurs.

then flying decks, token generator decks, mana burning decks, defense decks, monster decks.
can all come from the same source.
This is because of general design problems with DotP and deck limits. In DotP 2013 there was basically a 127 card limit (as card ids are limited to 7 bits of a single byte) across the entire deck including unlocks. This limit technically does not include basic land, but that meant you had to keep most of the cards in unlocks which has issues as well. It is generally easier and better to limit base decks to 60 cards (what DotP supports natively) and put up to 10 cards into the promo unlocks on DotP 2013. The reason for this is that regular unlocks required updating additional files for them to be able to be unlocked and promo unlocks only really support a maximum of 10 cards. If you put more than 60 cards into the main deck then the engine would not generate any basic land and the 127 limit would then include lands that you had to manually add to the deck for them to be available.

jostlerus wrote:I understand the difficulty of having the same cards on two different computers to play eachother,
but just as the constellations in the sky were made, you have to start out with a few pointers and
make your own designs from there.

there is already a few sources of mass quantities of cards from these smaller decks,
but having them sorted into mass decks would make the gaming to what I remember.
Again this is why we have deck editors and we share decks that we make with the others we play with (as multiplayer requires that all players have the exact same cards and decks available).

If you want on-the-fly deck building from all available cards without having to share your decks with your opponents then you will want to look at either DotP 2015 (which is not really moddable at this point) or one of the other fine engines available here (such as Forge as pointed out by thefiremind or the updated Mana Link as pointed out by Aswan jaguar).
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Postby jostlerus » 16 Nov 2014, 17:32

I'm working on it, and I did figure out some of those things on my own already.

The deck editors seem a little bit too repetitive in clicking, needs a copy and paste function.
or a template for the xml files so I can edit it directly.

it did tell me I had 246 billion cards in my deck when I know there was only about four hundred.
and it locks up when I put them into the unlock pile.

I havent' tried metalink yet, I'll look it over again.

--

a lot of the supplemental cards are missing anyone know why?
I got a good idea why. banned.

every strong feature has a few cards that take advantage.
blue Tsunami, kill all non flying creatures.
black sorceress queen, tap turn any creature to a token
black pit, token generator.
green lure, any creature must attack that can.

some of those decks are banned with the real cards.

jostler
jostlerus

Postby RiiakShiNal » 16 Nov 2014, 22:55

jostlerus wrote:The deck editors seem a little bit too repetitive in clicking, needs a copy and paste function.
or a template for the xml files so I can edit it directly.
I'm not sure which editors you are talking about here so I can't really comment on that.

However, as for a template for the XML files, pretty much every deck is a template as they are structured identically so it is quite easy to edit them directly.

jostlerus wrote:it did tell me I had 246 billion cards in my deck when I know there was only about four hundred.
and it locks up when I put them into the unlock pile.
None of the DotP games supports 400 or more cards in a deck (the max limit is 127, 7-bits for the id and all cards must have a unique id) so it really isn't a surprise that you are getting bad results.

jostlerus wrote:I havent' tried metalink yet, I'll look it over again.
I have no idea what "metalink" is.

jostlerus wrote:a lot of the supplemental cards are missing anyone know why?
I got a good idea why. banned.
Its probably more along the lines of no one has bothered to code them, DotP doesn't care about what is banned or restricted as it doesn't have any code for it. This is true of many of the older cards.

jostlerus wrote:every strong feature has a few cards that take advantage.
blue Tsunami, kill all non flying creatures.
black sorceress queen, tap turn any creature to a token
black pit, token generator.
green lure, any creature must attack that can.
Tsunami destroys Islands not flying creatures and it is green not blue.
Sorceress Queen temporarily makes a creature 0/2 it does not turn anything into a token.
Black Pit is not even a card much less a token generator. Now Breeding Pit is a token generator and it is black.
Lure doesn't force anything to attack, it forces opponent creatures to block if they can.
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Return to New MTG Cards and Decks (2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, Magic Duels)