It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 06:06

Text Size

Manalink Vintage Competition (winners posted)

Monthly Tournaments , Results ,Tournament Ideas Etc.

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Manalink Vintage Competition (decks due April 26th)

Postby jatill » 22 Apr 2010, 13:08

discoransom wrote:If someone can instruct me how to run a gauntlet using only a selection of decks, I would gladly help with scoring. If I understand the challenge correctly, all submitted decks will run a gauntlet consisting of only these submitted decks- so decks that a good player can pilot to victory against AI, but will occasionally stomp a human's face when played by the AI will do best. ??
Right. To run a gauntlet with just some decks, clear everything out of your magic/playdeck folder (copy, don't delete!!), and then just paste in the decks you want to use.
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby juzamjedi » 22 Apr 2010, 18:38

Forgot to say I'm willing to help with the scoring as well just send me the gauntlet decks once it is time.
juzamjedi
Tester

Postby Stroggoii » 23 Apr 2010, 03:49

I think I'll give it a try :)
Stroggoii

Postby discoransom » 23 Apr 2010, 04:01

jatill wrote:
discoransom wrote:If someone can instruct me how to run a gauntlet using only a selection of decks, I would gladly help with scoring. If I understand the challenge correctly, all submitted decks will run a gauntlet consisting of only these submitted decks- so decks that a good player can pilot to victory against AI, but will occasionally stomp a human's face when played by the AI will do best. ??
Right. To run a gauntlet with just some decks, clear everything out of your magic/playdeck folder (copy, don't delete!!), and then just paste in the decks you want to use.
ah thanks- I wanted to be sure!

On second thought, my Magic program has been running very slowly, and the AI unwilling to play spells (more so than usual), especially when it runs more than an hour at a time, so regretfully I shouldn't help score because it just wouldn't be fair.

But I'll submit an interesting deck to make up for it...
discoransom

Postby aww1979 » 23 Apr 2010, 04:48

Yeah, certain cards the AI plays poorly, or not at all, which is why I've been playtesting a gauntlet of decks the last few days. I built about a dozen of them so far, and let the AI try them to see what it was best with. I've got it narrowed down to (probably) three different deck ideas, two of which I expect to see a lot of from the rest of you, and one that's a bit odd, but veteran players might recognize from about 12 years ago... :) The AI plays them reasonably well, but I'm trying to guess what the metagame might be before I submit one.
aww1979
Tester

Postby discoransom » 23 Apr 2010, 08:04

aww1979 wrote:Yeah, certain cards the AI plays poorly, or not at all, which is why I've been playtesting a gauntlet of decks the last few days. I built about a dozen of them so far, and let the AI try them to see what it was best with. I've got it narrowed down to (probably) three different deck ideas, two of which I expect to see a lot of from the rest of you, and one that's a bit odd, but veteran players might recognize from about 12 years ago... :) The AI plays them reasonably well, but I'm trying to guess what the metagame might be before I submit one.
Just don't make it Erhnam-Geddon or we'll hunt you down and find you ;)

I tricked out a multi-format archetype with a fresh idea. AI plays things in sort of the wrong way but meh, it's an original and if it gets stomped then it gets stomped.
discoransom

Postby scherbchen » 24 Apr 2010, 01:34

deck submitted and claiming those 5 extra points for testing.
scherbchen

Postby scherbchen » 24 Apr 2010, 10:18

hmmm, just thought of a problem with running the gauntlet. say one deck uses Quirion Dryad and I haven't unlocked it yet...
scherbchen

Postby jatill » 24 Apr 2010, 13:04

scherbchen wrote:hmmm, just thought of a problem with running the gauntlet. say one deck uses Quirion Dryad and I haven't unlocked it yet...
Good points. Some decks have locked cards in them already. I'll have to think of a way around this. Suggestions are welcome :)
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby EviL_CLonE » 24 Apr 2010, 15:02

Someone who has complete every challenge could send him the file where challenge info is stored... once you have finished testing the decks, you have the moral compromise of deleting it :wink:
EviL_CLonE

Postby aww1979 » 25 Apr 2010, 03:11

discoransom wrote:Just don't make it Erhnam-Geddon or we'll hunt you down and find you ;)
Hey, nothing wrong with that! :p Actually, I did try a white/green deck with Baneslayer, Tarmogoyf, and armageddon and what not, but it didn't play it well enough. (it would armageddon at stupid times or hold it when it should play it)

The deck I was referring to was the '187' style deck, with comes-into-play creatures, except the version I made was red (fire imp, flametongue kavu) and green (viridian shaman) and had various adjustments based on the gap between Visions set and now. I mention it only because it's not very likely to be the deck I submit :p The deck did fairly well as long as nothing bigger than a Flametongue Kavu could kill came out *coughBaneslayercough* and splashing black for Nektrataal or Shriekmaw or blue for Manowar and p9 made it too hard for the AI to play right.
aww1979
Tester

Postby discoransom » 25 Apr 2010, 06:02

aww1979 wrote:
discoransom wrote:Just don't make it Erhnam-Geddon or we'll hunt you down and find you ;)
Hey, nothing wrong with that! :p Actually, I did try a white/green deck with Baneslayer, Tarmogoyf, and armageddon and what not, but it didn't play it well enough. (it would armageddon at stupid times or hold it when it should play it)

The deck I was referring to was the '187' style deck, with comes-into-play creatures, except the version I made was red (fire imp, flametongue kavu) and green (viridian shaman) and had various adjustments based on the gap between Visions set and now. I mention it only because it's not very likely to be the deck I submit :p The deck did fairly well as long as nothing bigger than a Flametongue Kavu could kill came out *coughBaneslayercough* and splashing black for Nektrataal or Shriekmaw or blue for Manowar and p9 made it too hard for the AI to play right.
That's funny- I tried out an armageddon list too and the AI was goofing up..187 was a sick deck, and at least on manalink it still is!
I won't spoil my deck, but if the AI knew how to use fetchlands properly it would be great. I just couldn't bring myself to play Goblins, no matter how many games they are likely to steal.
discoransom

Postby scherbchen » 25 Apr 2010, 14:21

jatill wrote:
scherbchen wrote:hmmm, just thought of a problem with running the gauntlet. say one deck uses Quirion Dryad and I haven't unlocked it yet...
Good points. Some decks have locked cards in them already. I'll have to think of a way around this. Suggestions are welcome :)
well the only solution I can think of (really would not like to have a "all unlocked" file myself) would be to survey the cardpool, post the unlockable cards and only have people test who have unlocked those. depending on the schedule you have in mind for the results I might even go and have some more goes at unlocking some.
scherbchen

Postby aww1979 » 25 Apr 2010, 16:26

Submitted my deck, and I'll do the gauntlet thing, too. I strongly suspect about half the decks submitted will be nearly carbon copies of what I sent in, because it's one of the few decks that I've seen the AI win at with semi-regularity, but hey, maybe I'll get lucky, or maybe my design is better? Or maybe not... :D
aww1979
Tester

Postby jatill » 25 Apr 2010, 16:32

So far I have around 8 or 10 decks, and they are all different!
jatill
DEVELOPER

PreviousNext

Return to Tournaments