It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 06:30

Text Size

Manalink Vintage Competition (winners posted)

Monthly Tournaments , Results ,Tournament Ideas Etc.

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Manalink Vintage Competition (decks due April 26th)

Postby Cognis » 25 Apr 2010, 19:35

I have no idea what people will be playing, I just submitted I deck I like to play but I don't know will the AI play it very well, I hope so, can't wait for it to begin, It's gonna be fun :)
Cognis
Tester

Postby Nyktorion » 25 Apr 2010, 20:04

I also just submitted a deck. First, I thought, everyone would have the same idea as myself, but that seems not to be the case.

jatill wrote:So far I have around 8 or 10 decks, and they are all different!
Now I'm already pretty curious what kinds of decks we will see in this competition... :)
Nyktorion

Postby scherbchen » 25 Apr 2010, 21:11

resubmitted mine, had a bit of a snafu about the format there. haven't really put it into the hands of the AI yet so that will be a surprise.
scherbchen

Postby aww1979 » 26 Apr 2010, 05:29

Heh, well I was expecting a lot of very fast creature decks, so I built what I thought was the fastest out of several ideas I tried. I also tried a few decks built to specifically counter creature decks, but the AI just isn't smart enough to play them.

For instance, I tried a monowhite turbofog deck, but half the time the AI was too stupid to even activate Millstone at end of turn... and one time, I kid you not, it was holding Wrath of God and did not play it, when the next turn I killed it with about five creatures *facepalms*

I also tried a black/green creature deck, with a lot of fun things like Tarmogoyf, Spiritmonger, Lord of Extinction, and so on, but it kept doing really stupid things like burn a Dark Ritual for no reason. How you can go wrong with such an easy deck, I don't know, but it did...
aww1979
Tester

Postby stassy » 26 Apr 2010, 05:49

Vids of the match would be awesome too, but 8x8 would be a bit too long, maybe the semi final or final only?
stassy

Postby Cognis » 26 Apr 2010, 09:34

Or speed up highlights or something, I expected weenie decks but now I just don't know, it's hard to metagame when the AI is too stupid to play the best cards right or even the simplest ones, Fog on their turn, etc. Can't wait for it to start, I guess I'll have to put ME2 on hold to play gauntlet :D
Cognis
Tester

Postby thedrigo » 26 Apr 2010, 13:51

Good luck, gentlemen.
thedrigo

Postby jatill » 26 Apr 2010, 18:08

Submissions are closed; grading begins now. There are 12 entries plus 3 of my own decks. I will be running matches best 2/3.

Here are the decks, and scoring sheets for those that are going to help (scores.xls is preferred, but if you can't open excel, use scores.txt). The 2nd tab of the xls is just for me, no need to use that.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yfjgoyzjt ... _decks.zip

If you are helping to score, just fill out the 1st worksheet and paste your results here on or before May 3. You can run matches best of 1, 3, of 5, as you prefer. Testing my decks is not required. If you have not unlocked Quirion Druad or Goblin Charbelcher, just use debug mode to similar the effects (AI will still use them correctly).

Good luck!
jatill
DEVELOPER

Re: Manalink Vintage Competition (submissions closed)

Postby juzamjedi » 26 Apr 2010, 21:25

Bummer I had intended to post my revised list today. But the submissions are closed now. Sigh.

Oh well time to see what folks have brewed up and score the lists!
juzamjedi
Tester

Postby scherbchen » 26 Apr 2010, 22:33

just clocked my first 10 matches and this sure is fun :D

I was going to go for an even spread of matches done per deck to get a more accurate sampling, does that sound right or is it just as well if I test my deck only and some others for fun? bit confused about how either is going to affect scores.
scherbchen

Postby scherbchen » 26 Apr 2010, 22:34

jatill wrote: If you have not unlocked Quirion Druad or Goblin Charbelcher, just use debug mode to similar the effects (AI will still use them correctly).

same goes for Helm of Obedience, hopefully. though, boy, was that ever the wrong metagame call.
scherbchen

Postby Salbei » 26 Apr 2010, 22:36

Hmm i was kinda surprised to see no other attempt with Goblin Charbelcher (my decklist is just horrible though).
Prolly gonna loose countless times cause the AI wants to shoot down Birds Of Paradise with it :oops: ... but maybe once in a while it will target the player instead - who knows.

The 4 Maindeck Blood Moon was a good Meta call and hopefully snipes somebody :lol:
Retired a long time ago. I will not reply.
Salbei
DEVELOPER

Postby thedrigo » 26 Apr 2010, 22:54

I anticipated Magus of the Moon and Blood Moon, actually. That's why my deck has so much removal and also has basic lands. I wish I'd added Knight of the Reliquary in the 3 slot, instead of the 2 Gaddock Teeg and another Kill Switch.

Nice decks, boys.
thedrigo

Postby scherbchen » 26 Apr 2010, 23:10

losing to your own deck while playing your own deck kinda stinks btw :D

killed by Bottle Gnomes. I'd rather not talk about it.
scherbchen

Postby aww1979 » 27 Apr 2010, 05:23

Hmm, ok well my game crashed in game 3 of my affinity gauntlet. I beat nyktorian's deck the first two times, and the third one was against thedrigo, but when AI tried to pay upkeep with Jotun Grunt, the game hung. It would've been a close game, too... AI had 3 weenies out, and plowed 2 creatures, but I had 3 more fatties in hand I could play one per turn; would've been great :p I'll just start over, I guess. I'm also making a video of the matches, just for fun.
aww1979
Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Tournaments