It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 23:45

Text Size

June Tournament Poll

Monthly Tournaments , Results ,Tournament Ideas Etc.

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

What tournament type do you want to play in June?

Poll ended at 02 Jun 2010, 17:20

Type I / Vintage
18%
Type 1.5 / Legacy
47%
Extended (please don't vote this one lol, only here for completeness)
No votes
Type II / Standard
No votes
Zendikar
6%
Highlander
No votes
EDH
18%
Theme Deck (ex: monocoloured decks, noncreature decks, only cards starting with a vowel, etc)
12%
Other (post details in the thread)
No votes

Total votes : 17

June Tournament Poll

Postby aww1979 » 26 May 2010, 17:20

This thread is for discussion of what tournament rules to follow in June. The poll will last for one week, and votes can be changed up to the end of that week. (for those not aware, the format for April and May was Type I / Vintage)

And please don't vote extended :p I included it because it's a common format, but I'd have a real headache verifying whether people's decks were legal, because I am totally unfamiliar with the card pool. If people *really* love extended, and it wins, I'll try to learn it.
aww1979
Tester

Re: June Tournament Poll

Postby Yggdrasil » 27 May 2010, 08:53

I voted legacy.
In vintage, having the black lotus in the opening hand unbalance too much the game imho(and some other restricted cards are way too powerful).
Yggdrasil

Postby jatill » 27 May 2010, 11:57

I would like legacy, except that I think Zoo decks will be unstoppable. I guess there's one way to find out for sure!
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby aww1979 » 28 May 2010, 07:33

This is more for myself than anyone else, since I have never played Legacy, but here are the differences between Legacy and Vintage.

Legacy:
Ancestral Recall = BANNED
Balance = BANNED
Bazaar of Baghdad = BANNED
Black Vise = BANNED
Channel = BANNED
Demonic Consultation = BANNED
Demonic Tutor = BANNED
Earthcraft = BANNED
Fastbond = BANNED
Flash = BANNED
Frantic Search = BANNED
Goblin Recruiter = BANNED (but not coded)
Grim Monolith = BANNED
Gush = BANNED
Hermit Druid = BANNED
Illusionary Mask = BANNED
Imperial Seal = BANNED
Land Tax = BANNED
Library of Alexandria = BANNED
Mana Crypt = BANNED
Mana Drain = BANNED
Mana Vault = BANNED
Memory Jar = BANNED
Mind Twist = BANNED
Mind's Desire = BANNED
Mishra's Workshop = BANNED
5 Moxes = BANNED
Necropotence = BANNED
Oath of Druids = BANNED
Skullclamp = BANNED
Sol Ring = BANNED
Strip Mine = BANNED
Time Spiral = BANNED
Time Vault = BANNED
Time Walk = BANNED
Timetwister = BANNED
Tinker = BANNED
Tolarian Academy = BANNED
Vampiric Tutor = BANNED
Wheel of Fortune = BANNED
Windfall = BANNED
Worldgorger Dragon = BANNED (but not coded)
Yawgmoth's Bargain = BANNED
Yawgmoth's Will = BANNED

Brainstorm = UNRESTRICTED
Burning Wish = UNRESTRICTED
Fact or Fiction = UNRESTRICTED
Gifts Ungiven = UNRESTRICTED (but not coded)
Lion’s Eye Diamond = UNRESTRICTED
Lotus Petal = UNRESTRICTED
Merchant Scroll = UNRESTRICTED
Mystical Tutor = UNRESTRICTED
Ponder = UNRESTRICTED
Regrowth = UNRESTRICTED
Thirst for Knowledge = UNRESTRICTED
Trinisphere = UNRESTRICTED

If you see any mistakes, please post, and I'll edit this to correct it. I just compared the Legacy and Vintage banned/restricted lists on wizards.com visually to get this.
aww1979
Tester

Postby Salbei » 28 May 2010, 11:48

Legacy is a fun format and in my oppinion less luck based than Vintage.(been playing Vintage tournaments for 8 years and recently switched to Legacy).
Turn 1 Tinker / Oath of Druids - Turn 1 Belcher+activation - random win with Yawgmoths Will from the top - the list of broken plays that "steal" a game is endless.

Voted for Legacy.
Retired a long time ago. I will not reply.
Salbei
DEVELOPER

Postby aww1979 » 28 May 2010, 15:22

I definitely agree with legacy being less luck-based thant vintage. When I played paper Magic, we normally played vintage, but there is basically no 'power' or other comparable cards around here, so the most 'broken' things we were doing was stuff like Demonic Tutor or Sol Ring or Balance. (so it was mostly like Legacy anyway :p) One guy here had two moxes, and another guy had basically every card, but otherwise we never saw any expensive cards earlier than dual lands, and even those were fairly scarce around here.

The other thing I'm considering is banning Cunning Wish, Burning Wish, Living Wish, and Ring of Ma'Ruf, since they allow people to circumvent the banned/restricted lists, as well has have an infinitely sized sideboard and wish for extremely bizarre things for their exact board situation, that they would never put in a real sideboard. (like Jatill wishing for Wall of Wood!) The AI usually takes Ancestral Recall with Cunning Wish, and Strip Mine with Living Wish. With Ring of Ma'Ruf, it seems to takes the best card that has been legitimately exiled that game. The wishes could also be used to cheat in legacy by getting banned cards. (or even Burning Wish in vintage to get Contract from Below; I pondered that one with Cognis's deck one game, but decided it was too evil!)
aww1979
Tester

Postby scherbchen1 » 28 May 2010, 15:40

how about an Invitational type of block format? you may only use up to 4 cards (other than lands) from one specific block (time spiral block, ice age block etc http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ma ... ering_sets ).
scherbchen1

Postby thedrigo » 28 May 2010, 16:16

Legacy clearly requires more deckbuilding ability than Vintage because there aren't, like Aww said, cards that are "gamestealers" like a turn one Black Lotus or Moxen/Sol Ring that allow for completely ridiculous antics (1st turn Baneslayer, Tinker + Inkwell Leviathan,etc.). I would be fine with EDH too, because the deckbuilding possibilities are endless.
In any case, anything other than Vintage is fine by me.

The restricted/banned list is here:
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Resour ... /sfrlegacy
I also agree with banning the wishes, pulling a Contract from Below or a Karma is CHEATING!!
thedrigo

Postby juzamjedi » 28 May 2010, 19:06

I also support banning the wishes for these tournaments. Having access 2x Ancestral Recall + 2x Timetwister in a deck is very unfair.
juzamjedi
Tester

Postby aww1979 » 28 May 2010, 19:21

Okay, based on voting, I'm about 99% sure that I will make the June tournament will be a Legacy format, with banned 'wishes'. I am still undecided about how to structure the matches; I'll wait a few more days in that thread to see what people say. Here, however, it seems clear people want Legacy. I also like scherbchen's suggestion; I don't know if I will incorporate it into the June tournament, but if these tourneys become a regular thing, I will definitely make it happen in some tourneys in the future.
aww1979
Tester

Postby Cognis » 29 May 2010, 00:03

I prefer some theme based decks but a tournament without power cards seems refreshing since it's not really possible that you'll have T1 Time Vault + Voltaic Key, etc. I have a deck in the making and was thinking of incorporating 4 Burning Wish and didn't know what to throw out so if you ban them you'll save me a lot of trouble :D
Cognis
Tester

Postby Brandon822 » 29 May 2010, 09:33

So legacy has only banned cards and not any restricted cards like Vintage?
Brandon822

Postby Nyktorion » 29 May 2010, 11:01

Brandon822 wrote:So legacy has only banned cards and not any restricted cards like Vintage?
Correct.
Nyktorion

Postby Cognis » 29 May 2010, 20:37

I just built a legacy deck around Novablast Wurm and Oath of Druids when I realised that something isn't right with possibilities for broken play and I was right, Oath of Druids is banned, well back to the drawing board and my initial idea :D
Cognis
Tester

Postby monopoman » 30 May 2010, 00:23

I assume wishes are banned since in this game you can wish for any card. You can use burning wish to grab banned cards like say Yawgmoth's Will, Cunning Wish for Ancestral Recall etc....
monopoman

Next

Return to Tournaments