It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:11

Text Size

July Tournament (in progress)

Monthly Tournaments , Results ,Tournament Ideas Etc.

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: July Tournament (in progress)

Postby Shantak » 14 Jul 2010, 17:53

Round 2:

Bracket Alpha:
COGNIS vs SERBITAR (AI) 2-0

After several Damnations, Baneslayer and Wilt-Leaf Liege finally did the job. 1-0

Ouch. Death Cloud made me discard and sac all good, and forced me to even sacrifice the persisted Kitchen Fninks after sacrificing it once. I think that shouldn't happen? Finally won with another Finks. 2-0

SERBITAR vs COGNIS (AI) 2-0
Slow game. Turning point when I destroyed all AI had with a Death Cloud and still had 5 lands left. Then Garruk-beasts did the rest. 1-0

Slow game again. I'm starting to Win with beast tokens, but then AI gets a Baneslayer. I make an extra beast by emptying one Garruk and casting another, and attack next turn with the horde once Baneslayer is tapped. 2-0

Bracket Beta:
YGGDRASIL vs SHANTAK (AI) 2-0

AI hits me with discard but I manage to keep Bitterblossom (and soon draw another). I keep doing damage, but Damnation takes me back and the game ends really close with me at 2 life. 1-0

I hit the Pox deck with discard and start doing damage with Nezumi while taking damage from AI's The Rack. My method is faster. 2-0

SHANTAK vs YGGDRASIL (AI) 2-0

AI has mana problems which I make worse with Sinkhole. As I get two Bloodghasts and Bloodchief Ascension out, it becomes clear how this one will turn out. 1-0

This games seems to be going OK until AI gets Bitterblossom in play. Two Bloodghasts with Crucible cause me to win in the end though. 2-0

After seeing the problems Poxer has with Bitterblossoms, it makes me wish I would have used the build with White splash for Vindicate. I tested it, but with some basic Plains in the deck I had occasional trouble casting Pox. I could have used only Scrublands and fetches, but I guess I was paranoid for Blood Moon.

Bracket Gamma:
JUZAMJEDI vs JATILL (AI) 2-0

Fourth turn elf stomp for 15 damage. 1-0

Wow! I Belched AI from 18 to -8 in one activation. That means I revealed 9 cards before hitting a mountain, right? Seems pretty unlikely, considering I had just three lands in play. 2-0

JATILL vs JUZAMJEDI (AI) 2-1
Mulliganed once, still no Leyline, put Helm in play and tried to keep up with elves. Got another Helm and stone Imperial Perfect with the first one to get a blocker. I was at one life when I cast my second Damnation. Still no Leyline and I'm done. 0-1

Next game, I start with Leyline and get Helm in 7 life. Dark Ritual, cast, activate, win. 1-1

Start with Leyline, get Helm soon, cast it using two City of Traitors, win.. 2-1

Bracket Delta:
AWW1979 vs MONOPOMAN (AI) 2-1

Won through Elspeth-boosted Meddling Mage denying Natural Order. 1-0

Never got the fifth land to cast Bribery I had waiting. 1-1

Had <10 life when Progenitus came and I only managed because I cast a Baneslayer Angel and because AI also attacked with a 5/6 Tarmogoyf I could block with it and gain life. Next turn, AI could have killed me but attacked Elspeth instead. The next turn, another Elspeth that again lured Progenitus while my Knight of Meadowgrain damaged AI. Finally I was out of Planeswalkers but could kill AI with Psionic Blast. Which AI countered with Force of Will! But died because it was at 1 life when casting it. Epic! 2-1

MONOPOMAN vs AWW1979 (AI) 2-1
I attack with an army of Nimble Mongooses (Mongeese?), but don't reach Threshold soon enough. The last Mongoose is fed to Natural Order and I get Progenitus. AI casts Bribery for... Trygon Predator! I would win, but AI uses Control Magic on my blocker and kills me with alpha strike. 0-1

Victory through Threshold and Natural Order, like the deck says. 1-1

Last game was tough for both. No Natural Orders seen, no Planeswalkers seen, my creatures were just enough, though victory cost many attackers their lives. 2-1

Thanks for everyone who's given me the vote for most fun deck. I believe Bloodghasts were a strong factor in how fun the deck is to play. And Bloodchief Ascension - I had to include one even if I saw that it doesn't trigger always when it should.

My own vote for the most fun deck goes to discoransom. Every time I pulled off Open the Vaults, I was grinning like madman.
Shantak

Postby Cognis » 14 Jul 2010, 23:43

Bloodchief Ascension would have been better if it would be triggered by Pox. And don't worry, seems we were all paranoid of Blood Moon :D
Cognis
Tester

Postby aww1979 » 15 Jul 2010, 00:40

Yggdrasil vs Shantak AI: 2-0 (yggdrasil +2 pts)
Shantak vs Yggdrasil AI: 2-1 (shantak +1 pts)

Yggdrasil vs Shantak:
Game 1: I keep a hand with Bitterblossom, two lands, and stuff :) Given how people are saying Bitterblossom dominates this matchup, I'm thinking this is good. Turn 2 I play it, and take a Hymn to the face; turn 3 I Blightning the AI. Wasteland and Smallpox slow me down, but with a Badlands and Bitterblossom in play and two Lightning Bolt in hand, I've got all I need, and all AI can manage from now on is Bloodghast. 1-0
Game 2: Almost same hand as last time, except my 'stuff' is stuff I can actually use, like hymns, while last time it was stuff I never cast, like demigods. Turn 2 I play Bitterblossom instead of a Hymn, in case AI hymns me on its turn 2. It doesn't, but it wastelands my land; then I just topdeck a swamp and keep right on going. Smallpox takes out that swamp, and I don't get another land; I'm manascrewed, but I have Bitterblossom, and AI is screwed at 1 swamp, too :D I draw a mountain and play Nezumi Shortfang. A few turns later, I've been hymned, but Nezumi has flipped, and faeries are beating, and AI just takes it until it dies. 2-0

Shantak vs Yggdrasil:
Game 1: I mulligan a one swamp land to a hand with hymn, smallpox, and lands, including wasteland, and I'm happy. Turn 2 Hymn catches swamp and demigod. Turn 3 I wasteland and smallpox away nezumi, and AI discards another demigod. It gets a Mountain but can't do anything with just that. I topdeck hymn and get two damnations, and The Rack starts working. I get Bloodghast and one hit in before AI gets swamp and Nezumi. I trade them and recur bloodghast, then play Crucible of Worlds. AI gets the dreaded Bitterblossom. I retrace Raven's Crime and that lets The Rack start up again, and I think I will will despite the BB in play. I sinkhole the swamp, trade ghast for faerie, then recur the ghast with crucible. Pox wipes AIs board, then Bloodghast recurs hasted and swings; The Rack and Bitterblossom grind, and AI is at 3. For some odd reason, the faerie gets haste, and swings for 1, but that lets Bloodghast in and I get the win, though I would have won without that little bug, since I had a soft lock down.
Game 2: My first hand is Bloodchief Ascension, Crucible of Worlds, Extirpate, and four Swamps. I'm not sure what to do about this one, but I'm going to keep it, since any business spells I draw will be immediately castable. Turn 2 AI does nothing and my turn 2 I play Smallpox just to kill a swamp; AI throws a hymn and keeps a mountain, which is not smart :p I draw another Smallpox, but play Extirpate on the Hymn. AI didn't have any in hand, but the AI has a crap hand, and barring a Bitterblossom topdeck, I can easily beat what it's got. AI gets a fetchland and Blightnings me, which hurts. I topdeck Cabal Therapy and I know exactly what the AI has (from extirpate) so I name Vampire Nighthawk. Crucible and Raven's Crime start doing their thing. AI topdecks another vampire and plays it. I topdeck Extirpate, but I don't really see the point of using it right now. I take 2 from the vampire, and topdeck Pox. Now I do play Extirpate, if for no other reason than Pox would make me lose it anyway; I extirpate the vampire and play Pox. AI stupidly sacs black lands to Pox and next turn I wasteland its Badlands, leaving it with just 3 useless Mountains. Next few turns are boring; AI gets some swamps but doesn't cast anything, probably because of The Rack I have, while I do Crucible/Raven's Crime stuff. I get a nice kick in the balls when AI topdecks Demigod and swings, putting me at 4 life. I've got Pox and Innocent Blood in hand, though. I go with Innocent Blood. AI might topdeck another Demigod (which Pox would prevent, due to land destruction) but Pox would leave me vulnerable to Lightning Bolt *or* Blightning, of which there are still 5 left, as opposed to 3 Demigods, so my odds are better that way. Next few turns are boring; AI does nothing while I topdeck lots of lands, feeding Raven's Crime and The Rack gets in a few points. At one point, AI discards a Blighting :p (makes me glad I didn't use Pox or this fetchland, since I'm at 4, hehe) I finally draw a Bloodghast; he hits with haste once and gets Damnationed. I draw Swamp, and use Raven's Crime, Crucible it, and attack with a hasted Bloodghast; AI discards Bitterblossom :p The Rack grinds to 3, and I've won next turn between Bloodghast, Pox, and The Rack but AI topdecks a Demigod and swings for 5x2 and suddenly I'm dead at -6. 1-1
(If I'd played my Pox the turn before, it would have denied the AI the mana to play Demigod, and I could've hasted out the ghast next turn to win, but I'd be at 2 life and if the AI had drawn a bolt or Blightning, which had greater odds than Demigod, I'd be dead, so statistically I made the right call, but got unlucky. Incredibly close game.)
Game 3: Bloodghast, Extirpate, wasteland, and 4 more lands. I'll keep it; Bloodghast should prove a royal nuisance with this. I wasteland its first turn Badlands and Extirpate it, hoping to manascrew the AI, but I see three basics, terminate, death's shadow and TWO bitterblossoms in the AIs hand. This is NOT good. AI plays swamp and go. I topdeck Cabal Therapy. Holy crap, what a draw! I name Bitterblossom, lol. (and see Nezumi was his topdeck that turn) AI plays nezumi, I play bloodghast, AI attacks for 1 :P Bloodghast swings for 2. (AI didn't Terminate it) AI swings again for 1. I draw Pox, swing for 2, flashback Cabal Therapy, naming Death's Shadow, then play Pox and then a land, getting back my Bloodghast. AI Terminates it, but I still have lands to play (in fact I have nothing else but lands) and Bloodghast returns hasted and takes AI to 8. AI blightnings me, and I attack the next two turns, and Sinkhole a land; life totals 9-4. AI topdecks a Terminate (it used one and threw the other to Pox, so that's #3) and kills Bloodghast, but I don't care; I sac my fetchland end of turn that I've been saving for this sort of thing. I draw Extirpate, and attack, putting AI at 2. I extirpate Death's Shadow, even though there's only one more in the deck, because it's the only card I can think of that will save the AI. (Terminate or Bolt would, too, but there's only one terminate left and no bolts in grave) I see Hymn and Blightning in hand, neither of which it can cast with mountain and swamp in play only, and my hand is empty and I'm at 8 life anyway. AI topdecks mountain and I attack for the win. 2-1
aww1979
Tester

Postby monopoman » 16 Jul 2010, 01:00

Bracket Alpha:

Cognis (Human) Vs. Serbitar (AI) Cognis Wins 2-0!

Game 1:
Weenie army smashes into Serbitar hard and the win comes very easy Serbitar gets off some removal but it is not even close to enough. Cognis Wins!

Game 2:
Similar to the first game but Serb's deck puts up more a fight eventually army smashes through. Cognis Wins!

Serbitar (Human) Vs. Cognis (AI) Serbitar Wins 2-0!

Game 1:
Very long game here decks go back and forth but thanks to Garruk being untouched through the whole game I am eventually able to pull it off by continuing to pump out 3/3 beasts. Serbitar Wins!

Game 2:
This game is a more one-sided affair I weather the storm of beats then remove all lands and mana sources from Cognis's field of play. Then its just a matter of time as Garruk gives me plenty of beasts to win with. Serbitar Wins!

Bracket Beta:

Yggdrasil (Human) Vs. Shantak (AI) Yggdrasil wins 2-0!

Game 1:
This is a fairly one-sided affair I get down blossom the AI removes a lot of crap from play but can't stop the beats. Faeries+Demigod finish the day.. Yggdrasil Wins!

Game 2:
A closer game but eventually 2x Death Shadow swings through for the win after a flurry of discard and removal face both sides. Yggrasil wins!

Shantak (Human) Vs. Yggdrasil (AI) Shantak loses 0-2

Game 1:
A fairly one-sided affair the other way I get nearly no removal and the AI makes me discard tons of cards. Yggrasil wins!

Game 2:
Another bad game for this deck I get the opponent really low on life but it is not enough. Eventually he draws bitterblossom and gets it on the table and I can't stop it. Yggdrasil wins!

Bracket Gamma:

Juzamjedi (Human) Vs. Jatill (AI) Juzamjedi wins 2-0

Game 1:
Charbelcher for the win in this game elf army probably would have smashed in anyways but activated Charlbelcher and got really lucky. Juzamjedi wins!

Game 2:
Elf beat down this time for the win Jatill's deck has no way to stop it and obviously the combo never materializes. Juzamjedi wins!

Jatill (Human) Vs. Juzamjedi (AI) Jatill loses 1-2!

Game 1:
Unable to get the combo this game before the elf army takes me down. Juzamjedi wins!

Game 2:
This time the combo does come down fairly quickly and I win the game easily. Jatill wins!

Game 3:
Another game where the 2nd combo piece is very elusive the AI beats me down and I can't stop it. Juzamjedi wins!

Bracket Delta:

Monopoman (Human) Vs. Aww1979 (AI) Monopoman wins 2-0!

Game 1:
Fairly one sided affair AI and me have quite a bit of trouble with mana but eventually the Order comes down before the AI can get out anything of note. Monopoman wins!

Game 2:
This game the combo does not come down but I am able to keep the AI from getting out a Baneslayer and the smaller creatures are not that problematic as I swing in with goyfs and mongoose. Monopoman wins!

Aww1979 (Human) Vs. Monopoman (AI) Aww1979 wins 2-0!

Game 1:
Thanks to the AI being dumb as hell and doing the old Natural Ordering a Progenitus for a Progenitus trick Aww1979 wins due to his dudes swinging in just in the knick of time. Aww1979 wins!

Game 2:
This time the win is a bit more fair as the AI has no way to stop the beat down and does nothing much all game. Aww1979 wins!
monopoman

Postby aww1979 » 16 Jul 2010, 05:05

Bracket Gamma:
juzamjedi vs Jatill AI 2-0 (juzamjedi +2 pts)
jatill vs juzamjedi AI 2-0 (jatill +2 pts)

Juzamjedi vs Jatill:
Game 1: I win on turn 4 (AI at -2) with 5 elves. The only spell AI cast all game was Thoughtseize, and it missed its 4th land drop, so no Damnation was possible, but it might've been otherwise. 1-0
Game 2: Another turn 4 win (AI at -2) with 4 elves. The only spells AI cast were Chrome Mox and Night's Whisper. Again, AI might've gotten Damnation in time, but it missed a land drop on its last turn.

Jatill vs Juzamjedi:
Game 1: Beatings, fetches, and Night's Whisper take me to 9 before I have to Dark Ritual/Damnation to survive, but I kill 4 elves doing it. Next turn I play two Sign in Blood and a Chrome Mox, so I can play Duress. I'm at 4, and AI swings with an Elvish Visionary, putting me at 3, then casts two 1/1 elves. I have Damnation already in hand, though. I topdeck Enlightened Tutor. I cast Damnation (I have to for survival) and Tutor for Helm of Obedience, since I have Leyline in hand, but haven't had a chance to play it yet. AI casts a 1/1 elf; I cast Helm. If I don't die on the next attack, I win. AI swings for 1 and plays Bramblewood Paragon. I cast Leyline and activate the Helm. Some bizarreness occurs when the Helm puts three elves into play on my side, but it still mills the AIs deck, so the outcome isn't affected. 1-0
Game 2: AI mulls to 6, land grants a Forest and casts Elves of Deep Shadow. I get Leyline in play for free, and fetchland/Thoughtseize a second Land Grant. Turn 2 AI plays Joraga Warcaller and doesn't attack with EoDS. I cast Sign in Blood and get two lands I don't need. AI attacks for 1 and plays another Joraga. I Sign in Blood again and get the Helm in hand. Next turn AI swings for 2 (at 10) and then I play and activate Helm for a turn 4 win, without even needing to use the Damnation I started with, or any of the three Chrome Moxes I end the game in hand with. 2-0

As a side note, both decks are so fast that the entire match is over in 16 minutes :p Camstudio crashes and I lose this video; sorry. If anyone wants to see the others, I kept almost all of them but am only uploading them on request.
aww1979
Tester

Postby thedrigo » 16 Jul 2010, 05:41

BRACKET ALPHA:

Match 1: COGNIS (ME) vs SERBITAR (AI)

Game 1: WIN. AI was quickly overrun with Watchwolf x2 and Qasali Pridemage.
Game 2: WIN. The only play by the AI was to Disfigure a Qasali Pridemage. Watchwolf and Baneslayer angel cracked its skull a few turns later.

Match 2: SERBITAR (ME) vs COGNIS (AI)

Game 1: WIN. Denied the AI any kind of resources to move forward and Sorin Markov plus a huge Death Cloud took care of the rest.
Game 2: LOSE. Early Gaddock Teeg and no removal destroyed all my chances to clear the board with Damnation on turn 4.
Game 3: WIN. A very loooong version of game one with lots of creatures removed on both sides. In the end, Sorin was too much for the AI to handle.

Cognis +2
Serbitar +1

BRACKET BETA:

Match 1: YGGDRASIL (ME) vs SHANTAK (AI)

Game 1: WIN. Very frustratingly, the AI destroyed every land I put down, but also all of his creatures along with them. Finally, it ran out of gas and I drew a Death’s Shadow with 2 life. It was over in 2 swings.
Game 2: WIN. Easily done after AI Pox ‘ed itself to death, losing all its advantage. Bitterblossom is AWESOME.

Match 2: SHANTAK (ME) vs YGGDRASIL (AI)

Game 1: WIN. AI died to 2 Bitterblossoms, the Rack and TONS of discard.
Game 2: LOSE. Ran out of fuel without any kill conditions and drew land after land after land. AI clobbered me with faerie tokens.
Game 3: WIN. Crushed the AI with 3 recurring Bloodghast.

Yggdrasil +2
Serbitar +1

BRACKET GAMMA:

Match 1: JUZAMJEDI (ME) vs JATILL (AI
)

Game 1: WIN. No combo for the AI. Despite 3 Damnation sweeping the board, I win.
Game 2: WIN. Same as before.

Match 2: JATILL (ME) vs JUZAMJEDI (AI)

Game 1: LOSE. Didn’t draw any cards to get the combo going and got overrun, even after Damnation.
Game 2: LOSE. Got stuck at 3 land with Leyline on the table and Helm in my hand. Overrun like a cockroach. Sorry...

Jatill 0
Juzamjedi +7

BRACKET DELTA:

Match 1: AWW1979 (ME) vs MONOPMAN (AI)

Game 1: WIN. 2-Drops held back creatures long enough for Bribery to steal Proggy. MWAHAHAHA!
Game 2: WIN. OMG, AI dropped Proggy on turn 4 and I SURVIVED. Ajani, Knight of Meadowgrain and Baneslayer Angel saved my ass!

Match 2: MONOPMAN (ME) vs AWW1979 (AI)

Game 1: WIN. Proggy pwned the AI.
Game 2: WIN. Bashed the AI’s skull in with Goyfs and FoW protection.

Aww +2
Monopman +2
thedrigo

Postby aww1979 » 16 Jul 2010, 06:26

Bracket Delta:
monopoman vs aww1979 AI 2-0 (monopoman +2 pts)
aww1979 vs monopoman AI 2-0 (aww1979 +2 pts)

Monopoman vs Aww1979:
Game 1: My opening hand is Windswept Heath, Natural Order, Ponder, Fact or Fiction, Force of Will, Progenitus and Trygon Predator. It's an interesting hand, to say the least. Due to Ponder and Force of Will and the AI deck being slow, I will keep it; I hope that doesn't bite me in the ass. Ponder reveals tropical island, coiling oracle, and brainstorm, so my choice is somewhat justified. Turn 2 I play the land, brainstorm, and get the oracle, a trygon, and a swords; I chuck back proggy and a trygon. Turn 2 AI casts Deft Duelist; I could Force that, but it's not that scary, so I leave it be. Turn 3 I cast the oracle, drawing proggy back. Turn 3 AI tries to cast Meddling Mage, but I Force that (pitching proggy) since I can't risk it naming Natural Order; that's monopoman's best card against aww1979. AI swings for 2 (16). Turn 4 I draw Natural Order (mage would've named that, thank goodness, since I don't have white mana for plow; I took tropical island turn 1, maybe should've gotten tundra, but I didn't know which land I'd get next) I swing for 1 (19). AI plows my oracle, attacks for 2, casts Deft Duelist #2, and uses a fetchland. 15-18 life. I topdeck a fetchland, get Savannah, and cast Trygon Predator. If AI doesn't kill/control that, it can keep the duelists away. It's controlled, and AI swings for 4 and uses another fetchland. It hasn't missed a land drop, and has 5 mana now, and I'm worried. 10-17 life. I draw Werebear, and I can either play it and plow the stolen Trygon, or play a second Trygon. I choose to play the second Trygon. AI doesn't have an answer for it, but plays a Baneslayer. I draw a second plowshares, send the angel farming, and play the Werebear. AI casts Psionic Blast on my Trygon Predator, postcombat LOL, taking 2. 10-20 life. I draw Coiling Oracle, tap and sac Werebear to Natural Order, and Progenitus makes his appearance. AI swings for 2 with Trygon (8-20) and casts Knight of Meadowgrain. I topdeck Werebear and cast it; it's a 4/4 off threshold, and Proggy swings. 8-10 life. AI untaps, plays Psionic Blast on me (4-8) and swings with everything. I block the Knight, and face 6 from the rest. But wait! I have swords to plowshares in hand. Farming an AI creature isn't enough (I'll still take 4) but farming my own werebear gains enough that I'll be at 2! Proggy swings and I win at 2 life. 1-0
(AI would've won if it hadn't played the first Psi Blast postcombat, grr... but whatever hehe. I am a bit worried because the All Your Base deck had basically the dream game, and still lost, so we'll see how this goes)
Game 2: 2x fetch, 2x trygon, savannah, coiling oracle, proggy. I keep that. Turn 1 AI plays land-go; so do I, topdecking another fetch. Turn 2 it plays wasteland on my land, go; I topdeck another oracle, play fetch, and pass. Turn 3 AI plays fetch, sac end of turn, go; I topdeck oracle #3, cast an oracle, and draw Tarmogoyf. Oracle is plowed end of my turn. Turn 4 AI plays Meddling Mage naming Werebear, plays a fetch and sacs it. I draw werebear, play a fetch and Trygon Predator. 18-18 life. Turn 5 AI does nothing, stalling at 3 land. I draw a swords, play Coiling Oracle, and draw Nimble Mongoose; then I plow the mage and attack for 2. Turn 6 AI plays Knight of Meadowgrain; I topdeck Tarmogoyf, play it (2/3) and the mongoose, and swing for 2. Turn 7 AI plays a 4th land but does nothing. I topdeck Ponder, use it, cast Tarmogoyf (3/4) and swing for 5. 18-11 life. Turn 8 AI casts Control Magic, but instead of the logical Trygon Predator, it takes my Coiling Oracle! I swing for 8 and trygon destroys the control magic. Then I cast the Natural Order I topdecked, saccing the oracle. (thanks Ponder!) Then I realize if I'd played the NO first (saccing mongoose) Tarmos would have been fat enough to force a block with the Knight, but I have threshold on mongoose now, two 5/6 tarmos, proggy, and trygon, and AI has 3 life. I don't think my mistake will matter :p Turn 9 AI controls my Tarmogoyf, but I attack and win anyway. 2-0

Aww1979 vs Monopoman:
Game 1: 2x flooded strand, hallowed fountain, wasteland, control magic, sphinx, knight. This is a keeper. Turn 1 fountain; AI plays savannah, mongoose. Turn 2 topdeck and play Plains, cast Knight of Meadowgrain. (saving fetches for now; I want to draw more land for sphinx); AI plays Tropical Island, Brainstorm, go. Turn 3 I draw Island, play Wasteland and destroy Savannah (thinking to prevent swords) and swing for 2; 22-18. AI swings for 1, plays Tundra, Coiling Oracle, and hits a Tropical Island into play with it. Turn 4 I draw Tundra, play fetchland for Hallowed Fountain and swing for 2; AI swings for 2, missing its 4th land drop, and casts Trygon Predator. Turn 5 I draw a Knight, fetch a Tundra, cast Control Magic on the predator, and swing for 2; AI plays Ponder, Nimble Mongoose, Brainstorm, and a fetchland, but doesn't use it yet. Turn 6 I draw and play Hallowed Fountain, cast Knight of Meadowgrain, swing for 4, and AI fetches during attack phase for Savannah; on its turn it plays Ponder, and in response Brainstorm, giving its monogooses threshold, and AI swings for 6 and casts Werebear. 17-9 life. Turn 7 I topdeck Control Magic, play Tundra, and have a choice between control and sphinx. I take the werebear, forgetting *I* don't have threshold, but at least it clears the way for my attack. I swing for 6, and the oracle chumps a knight, and life totals are 21-5; AI swings for 6 and plays a 4/5 Tarmogoyf. Turn 8 I attack with everything; Tarmo kills a knight but 5 damage sneaks through and I win. 1-0 (AI could've bought a turn by holding back on the mongooses, but if it had, I'd play Sphinx postcombat, and the deck has no answer to that besides chumping with Trygons)
Game 2: 2x plains, Bribery, Elspeth, Jace, Control Magic, Wasteland. That's a weird opening hand. It doesn't have any early plays or blue mana, but it's got 3 land at least, and Wasteland might prove handy in stalling. I don't like mulliganing, so I keep it, hoping for some weenie draws. Turn 1 plains go, AI City of Brass go. Turn 2 topdeck and play Hallowed Fountain, go, AI plays Tropical Island, Coiling Oracle (revealing Ponder and takes 1 from City). Turn 3 draw and play Tundra go, AI plays Ponder and mongoose and swings for 1. Turn 4 topdeck fetch, play and get Tundra, then cast Elspeth and make a soldier; AI plays fetchland (doesn't use), mongoose #2, and Coiling Oracle (hits Savannah and taps City to cast)). 18-18 life. Turn 5 I draw a fountain, play Plains and Bribery Progenitus, then Elspeth pumps my soldier and I swing for 4. AI uses fetchland. 18-13 life. I've won if AI has no answer, but it does; it casts Natural Order (sacs oracle) to get the other Proggy, burying both, and then attacks Elspeth for 3. (it takes 1 from City, which it didn't have to; Savannah is untapped) 18-12 life. Turn 6 I draw Deft Duelist, play it, play Wasteland, and tap out for Jace. Jace brainstorms; I get Deft Duelist, Baneslayer, land, and put back two lands. Then Elspeth pumps soldier and I swing for 4; 18-8 life. AI plays two Werebears (tapping City again when it didn't have to) and passes; 18-7 life. Turn 7 I draw back a land, Jace-brainstorm, get Deft Duelist, Swords, land, and put back land and duelist. I play a land, Baneslayer, pump soldier, and swing with it and my duelist; a Werebear chumps and AI is at 3. AI casts Swords to Powshares on its turn, and kills my Soldier instead of my Baneslayer! wtf? Then it passes. Fortunately, it didn't make a difference, as a pumped soldier would've been game, though it could've attacked with its now-thresholded army for 11, but I'm at 19 anyway. Baneslayer makes the kill. 2-0

(I get the same error as last match with camstudio so no video available for this one, either)
aww1979
Tester

Postby aww1979 » 16 Jul 2010, 06:32

Updates: (done after reviewing the point totals after me and thedrigo reported at the same time)

Group A: Cognis leads by 19 and only two players haven't tested, so he is the winner.

Group B: Yggdrasil leads by 34 and only two players haven't tested, so he is the winner.

Group C: Juzamjedi leads by 22 and only two players haven't tested, so he is the winner.

Group D: Monopoman leads by 5, and can still be caught :)

Taron and Yggdrasil are those who have not yet played round 2.
aww1979
Tester

Postby Cognis » 16 Jul 2010, 09:21

Are you sure there's a 19 point difference between me and Serbitar, I didn't get the impression there was such a big gap, I don't remember the first reports but the last ones were all 2-2 or 2-1. Anyway, congratulations everyone, although I most say that I'm not at all happy that I have to meet Yggdrasil in the semis again :) It will be a close match certainly, but maybe a little more favourable than the elves, but who knows, my predictions were always wrong :)
Cognis
Tester

Postby aww1979 » 16 Jul 2010, 09:30

Well, this is what I have in my records, if anyone spots a mistake, let me know.

cognis
+5 serbitar
+2 jatill
+5 brandon
+2 juzamjedi
+7 discoransom
+2 aww1979
+2 cognis
+2 shantak
+2 monopoman
+2 thedrigo

serbitar
+0 serbitar
+1 jatill
+0 brandon
+2 juzamjedi
+0 discoransom
+2 aww1979
+2 cognis
+2 shantak
+2 monopoman
+1 thedrigo

Also remember that because one card has been allocated to 'most fun' deck, being in the semis is NOT a guarantee of getting a card choice. (but it is a 75% chance! You have to lose the semis and the consolation match; otherwise you will get a card) Shantak is leading the 'most fun' deck by 2 votes (3-1-1) but there's only 5 cast so far, so that one's still undecided.
aww1979
Tester

Postby juzamjedi » 16 Jul 2010, 15:47

The pairings gods have been good to me this tournament. Before the tournament began I played some test games against the field and I was brutalized by Yggdrasil's deck. :-/

My test matches against Cognis' deck were very interesting. So I hope you and I win next round of course :lol: . I play Elvish Champion and you are playing Elves too; it was pretty embarrassing for me the when I lost a game to my own lord. #-o
juzamjedi
Tester

Postby Yggdrasil » 17 Jul 2010, 10:00

Oh no, not Cognis deck ! :lol:
When I checked the decks at the beginning of the tournament, it was the one I feared the most (and I secretly hoped it would be crush by a vicious Progenitus or other nasty deck before we meet :wink: ).

@Shantak : it seems Bitterblossom saved my life. Really powerful and versatile card, indeed.

@Aww1979 : I'll play the match D this afternoon.
Yggdrasil

Postby monopoman » 17 Jul 2010, 10:41

Might be better to just use another thread for most fun deck since one of the votes might get lost in the shuffle here or someone might forget to vote.
monopoman

Postby Cognis » 17 Jul 2010, 11:47

How about we make a poll in this topic, that might be the simplest solution
Cognis
Tester

Postby Yggdrasil » 17 Jul 2010, 20:54

Monopoman human vs Aww1979 AI : 2-1
Round 1 : lose. I started with NO in my hand (and two lands, mangoose, tarmo and werebear so I didn't mulligan). I didn't draw lands before turn 4. Meantime AI removed all my little creatures and played kithkin, Jace, Ajani, duelist and finally BSA.
Round 2 : won. I started without Natural Order but with a good hand. AI did big mistakes, exiled my werebear instead of my predator (which could block its kithkin on the battlefield). Next turn, AI played Control Magic on another bear, so I canceled it with the predator during my turn. Finally, I had an army of small creatures which became big with the treshold abilities and run for the win.
Round 3 : won. I started again without NO but 2 small creatures, 3 lands, ponder and brainstorm. I draw rapidly NO thanks to the cantrips and then sacrificed a mangoose for the Progenitus. Easy win after that.

Aww1979 human vs Monopoman AI : 2-0
Round 1 : A kithkin, 2 swords, Elspeth and Ajani did the job. At the end, AI was able to cast a Progenitus but it was already too late.
Round 2 : I started with Bribery, Meddling Mage and 3 lands in hand. I kept. The mage prevented NO until I draw my fifth land. I robbed the Progenitus, end of game.
Yggdrasil

PreviousNext

Return to Tournaments