It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 18:44

Text Size

July Tournament (in progress)

Monthly Tournaments , Results ,Tournament Ideas Etc.

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: July Tournament (in progress)

Postby aww1979 » 26 Jul 2010, 08:44

Just a heads-up: there's a good chance I won't be able to organize a tournament in August, as I may be gone for a week or so, probably the second week. When I know for sure either way I'll let you all know.
aww1979
Tester

Postby jatill » 26 Jul 2010, 12:04

aww1979 wrote:Just a heads-up: there's a good chance I won't be able to organize a tournament in August, as I may be gone for a week or so, probably the second week. When I know for sure either way I'll let you all know.
How fortuitous; I was planning to ask you if you minded me running the next tournament. Therefore I'll do August. Contestants beware, I plan on offering a full 10 cards to the winner, but the format will be challenging.
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby scherbchen1 » 26 Jul 2010, 21:21

10 cards O_o

looking forward to the format, maybe I'll come up with a deck this time.
scherbchen1

Postby juzamjedi » 26 Jul 2010, 23:06

Jatill, can you provide details for the next tournament in a new thread? I will be going on vacation in early August and would like to participate. I mean... 10 cards is quite a prize!
juzamjedi
Tester

Postby aww1979 » 26 Jul 2010, 23:56

Sure thing. Jatill will then do August, whether I'm available or not. If possible, I'll submit a deck but might not get to test. If that isn't possible due to the format... good luck to the players :)
aww1979
Tester

Postby thedrigo » 27 Jul 2010, 02:54

:) I'm in.
thedrigo

Postby mzepol » 27 Jul 2010, 08:06

I'd like to join, but I have no clue how you play tournaments here, what the rules are, etc. :(
mzepol

Postby stassy » 27 Jul 2010, 10:18

The rules are always described in the 1st post of the thread.

For exemple this thread month :
The rules:
1) All decks must be legal in LEGACY
2) All decks must be PMed to me (aww1979) by the end of Friday, July 2.
3) Deck name should be in the format "Legacy_YOURNAME_DECKNAME"
example: Legacy_aww1979_affinity
4) Only use cards that are in the main version of manalink. (not limited or custom) If any cards are coded by jatill by the end of June 30, you can use those. If they aren't coded by then, you cannot use them, as I want to make sure that everyone has time to test them out.
5) In addition to normal Legacy deck construction rules, the following cards are also BANNED:
Burning Wish
Cunning Wish
Living Wish
Ring of Ma'ruf
But next month I suspect a very difficult chess-like challenge with jatill under control :mrgreen:
stassy

Postby aww1979 » 28 Jul 2010, 22:54

I'll give the two remaining people one more day to finish Round 3, and tomorrow night I'll announce the final round.
aww1979
Tester

Postby aww1979 » 30 Jul 2010, 04:51

Alright, I've let this tournament go a bit long, as I haven't enforced any deadlines for the later rounds, so here is the final round and report for round 3:

Cognis defeats Yggdrasil 30-15
Juzamjedi defeats Monopoman 25-18

FINAL ROUND:
COGNIS vs JUZAMJEDI (winner of this match gets 2 cards, loser gets 1 card)

CONSOLATION MATCH:
YGGDRASIL vs MONOPOMAN (winner of this match gets 1 card, loser gets nothing!)

Also don't forget to vote for 'most fun' deck!
aww1979
Tester

Postby jatill » 30 Jul 2010, 16:50

Cognis 2-0 (+2)
Juzamjedi 2-1 (+1) .. got stuck on 1 land once

Yggdrasil 2-0 (+7)... thought I lost when AI went Natural Order + Force my Demigod. But then I ripped Damnation on my last turn and started attacking with Death's Shadow.
Monopman 0-2 (+0) ... not a matchup I expected to lose, but it actually wasn't even close
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby Brandon822 » 31 Jul 2010, 09:23

FINAL ROUND:
Cognis 2-1 (+1)
Juzamjedi 2-1 (+1)

CONSOLATION MATCH:
Yggdrasil 2-0 (+5)
Monopman 1-2 (+0)
Brandon822

Postby Shantak » 31 Jul 2010, 20:22

FINAL ROUND:

COGNIS vs JUZAMJEDI (AI) 2-0 (Cognis +2 points)
Destroyed all dangerous elves with removal and kicked ass. 1-0

Next game, it's all about righteous ass-kicking with Baneslayers. 2-0

JUZAMJEDI vs COGNIS (AI) 2-0 (Juzamjedi +2 points)
AI didn't have much removals, but Wilt-Leaf Lieges (three!) boosted his creatures higher than my elves. 10/10 Baneslayer started attacking me, putting me on a three turn counter. I thought I was gonna bite it, until when casting Joraga Warcaller I luckily realized I had tons of extra mana from my Archdruid. 11/11 elves for the win! 1-0

This time, forest-walking elves were faster than AI. 2-0

YGGDRASIL vs MONOPOMAN (AI) 2-0 (Yggdrasil +2 points)
Demigod of Revenge did most of the work. 1-0

Next game, AI spent its removals on Nezumis and Nighthawks so Demigod stayed in battlefield. I did more damage and thought I had it until AI topdecked Natural Order. He was at 9, I at 11. He had Mongoose in play and no cards. I had Demigod in play with Death's Shadow and Blightning in hand. I thought this could be really close and... topdecked a Lightning Bolt. Not so close after all. 2-0

MONOPOMAN vs YGGDRASIL (AI) 2-0 (Monopoman +2 points)
Thought I had it when I got Progenitus, but AI got another Damnation. The game got long and hard, and in the end I let Bitterblossom kill AI. 1-0

Next game, AI had at most three mana for the whole game, so it wasn't really hard to win, but it took surprisingly long again. 2-0
Shantak

Postby Serbitar » 03 Aug 2010, 13:51

Final Round

Cognis vs Juzamjedi

as Cognis (2:0, +2pts)
1st game, I win on AI stupidity (chumping with Elvish Champion without need, when I would loose on the backswing).
2nd game is easy. The AI gets punished for gangblocks by removal and looses without much resistance.

as Juzamjedi (0:2, Cognis +5pts)
1st game, I am too slow and superior creatures overwhelm me before I get the chance to belch.
2nd game, Teeg forbid Belcher and I loose to superior creatures again.

Yggdrasil vs Monopoman

as Yggdrasil (2:1, +1pt)
1st game, a discard heavy hand wins. AI does nothing while multiple Hymns and Shortfang shredder its hand.
2nd game is close, but I loose eventually, not being able to handle his Goyf. Eventually I die by Bitterblossom (the turn before Progenitus would have done me in)
3rd game is also close (because I'm flooded), but I win.

as Monopoman (2:0, +2pts)
1st game, AI kills itself with double Bitterblossom.
2nd game I win on the back of a Force of Will backed Natural Order.
Serbitar

Postby aww1979 » 03 Aug 2010, 22:22

Cognis vs Juzamjedi AI 2-0 (+2 cognis)
Juzamjedi vs Cognis AI 2-0 (+2 juzamjedi)

Cognis vs Juzamjedi AI:
Game 1:
Turn 1 Plains, Mox Diamond, Qasali Pridemage; AI plays Stomping Ground, go. Turn 2 Noble Hierarch and swing for 4; AI plays forest, Joraga Warcaller, Fyndhorn Elves. Turn 3 I swing for 4 again; AI swings for 1 with Joraga and plays Imperious Perfect, which I Path to Exile at end of turn. Turn 4 swing for 4 and play topdecked Kitchen Finks; AI plays Fyndhorn Elves and Imperious Perfect. Turn 5 Forest, attack with exalted 5/4 Finks. AI blocks with 2/2 joraga and fyndhorn, and I plowshares the Perfect and kill both elves in combat; AI plays Elvish Champion and swings for 2 with forestwalking 2/2 fyndhorn elves. Turn 6 Savannah, Baneslayer Angel, attack with Qasali and Finks, AI blocks qasali with elvish champion and takes 3; AI plays two Elves of Deep Shadow and Elvish Visionary. Turn 7 Baneslayer Angel #2, attack with Finks (trades with two elves) and Baneslayer #1, AI at 2; AI plays two elves. Turn 8 The BAs swing for 10 in the air for the win. 1-0
Game 2:
Turn 1: plains go; AI plays forest, llanowar elves. Turn 2 fetchland for savannah, Watchwolf; AI plays Elvish Visionary. Turn 3 I play Plains, Qasali, swing for 4 with Watchwolf, then plowshares the llanowar elves to deny mana; AI plays llanowar elves. Turn 4 play Wilt-Leaf Cavaliers, attack with watchwolf and qasali, and qasali trades with both AI elves and takes 3; AI plays taiga and Priest of Titania. Turn 5 play finks and swing for 6; AI plays another Priest of Titania and Fyndhorn Elves. Turn 6 Finks trade with those two elves and my other guys hit for 6, AI at 2; AI plays Imperious Perfect. Turn 7 attack with everything for the win. 2-0

Juzamjedi vs Cognis:
Game 1:
Turn 1 Land Grant for forest, play it, Land Grant #2 for forest, go; AI plays Savannah, Mox Diamond (forest pitched) and Watchwolf. Yikes. Turn 2 forest, Priest of Titania; AI paths my priest (I get a forest), swings for 3, and then plays Noble Hierarch, missing a land drop. Turn 3 Elvish Archdruid go; AI paths it (I'm out of forests to fetch) plays Qasali, and swings for 5 with double-exalted watchwolf. Turn 4 Elvish Archdruid go; AI plays forest, Wilt-Leaf Liege, and swings for 9, which I don't block (down to 3). Turn 5 I play Llanowar Elves, EoDS, unkicked Joraga Warcaller, and Imperious Perfect. I could play a second unkicked warcaller, but don't do it; AI plows my warcaller (not my perfect???) and doesn't attack. (wtf???) Turn 6 I play a thrice-kicked Joraga and make a token with the perfect; AI plays finks. Turn 7 I play the Elvish Champion I've been holding due to AIs liege (it's an elf) and swing with six 7/7 forestwalkers for the win :p 1-0
Game 2:
Turn 1: Taiga, land grant for forest, go; AI fetchland for Savannah, go. Turn 2 forest, Bramblewood Paragon, which is pathed at end of my turn; AI plays forest, Qasali. Turn 3 I play an untapped Stomping Ground (-2), play Land Grant for Taiga (not forest, since I want some to fetch if my stuff gets pathed), play Elvish Visionary and Wren's Run Vanquisher; AI plows WRV, swings for 3 with Qasali, and plays Noble Hierarch postcombat. Turn 4 Taiga, Elvish Archdruid, Priest of Titania, swing for 2 with visionary; AI plays Wilt-Leaf Liege (great, I have elvish champion in hand again :p) Turn 5 Bramblewood Paragon, then I play the Elvish Champion anyway and swing for 9 with forestwalk (18-8); AI plays a second liege and forestwalks me for 9 with a double-exalted liege. Turn 6 Forestwalk for 13 ends it. 2-0

Despite the even result I had, I had an easier time winning with Cognis's deck than juzamjedi's in this matchup. I never saw a belcher or teeg in any of the 4 games, and AI never got BA in its games.

I'll play the consolation match later tonight or tomorrow.
aww1979
Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Tournaments