It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:43

Text Size

July Tournament (in progress)

Monthly Tournaments , Results ,Tournament Ideas Etc.

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: July Tournament (in progress)

Postby juzamjedi » 04 Aug 2010, 06:06

Juzamjedi vs. Cognis
Cognis as human win 2-0
Game 1 I have Forest, Plains, Noble Hierarch, Swords to Plowshares, Path to Exile, 2x Wilt-Leaf Cavaliers. Keep.
I swords an early Elvish Archdruid and then AI uses Land Grant and shows me a Evlish Champion. It doesn't matter though because AI makes a stupid triple block and I blow him out easy win.
Game 2 2x Forest, 2x Savannah, Plains, Kitchen Finks, Swords to Plowshares. This is a weak hand, but AI plays little removal so I decide to keep.
I flood out, but AI doesn't build up too much board and I drop a Baneslayer before it can do anythingscary.

Juzamjedi as human win 2-0
Game 1 I mull to 5 to get a land. Keep Forest, Land Grant, Wren's Run Vanquisher, Priest of Titania and Imperious Perfect.
The AI Path's my first creature on turn 2. On turn 4 I drop Goblin Charbelcher and turn 5 I belch for a LOT and win.
Game 2 I have Forest, Stomping Ground, Llanowar Elves, 2x Wren's Run Vanquisher, Goblin Charbelcher, and Elvish Archdruid. Keep.
The AI keeps a bad 1 land (Forest) hand and I easily win with the onslaught of my elf army.

Yggdrasil vs. Monopman
Yggdrasil as human win 2-0
Game 1 I have Swamp, Mountain, Death's Shadow, Bitterblossom, 2x Vampire Nighthawk, Nezumi Shortfang. Keep.
The AI gets a T4 Natural Order and I have no answer cards. Instead I play 2x Death's Shadow, AI attacks me to 2 life and I then get to swing back with them and my army of smaller creatures for the win.
Game 2 I mulligan a 1 land hand for 2x Bloodstained Mire, 2x Death's Shadow, Bitterblossom, Damnation. Keep keep KEEP!
The AI doesn't play Natural Order at all this game. It does use Force of Will to stop my Damnation. My Death's Shadows again do nice work this game as I build up an army of faeries to block while my Death's Shadows eat away at the life total and Demigod plays cleanup.

Monopman as human win 2-0
Game 1 I have Seaside Citadel, Flooded Strand, Tropical Island, 2x Brainstorm, Tarmogoyf, Natural Order. Keep keep KEEP!
AI plays almost nothing while I get in a few beats. I play Natural Order when AI is on 10. AI plays Damnation, but with all my digging I have Force of Will backup and win.
Game 2 I have City of Brass, Ponder, Swords to Plowshares, Coiling Oracle, 2x Werebear, and Natural Order. This is a borderline hand, but it has gas and mana as long as AI doesn't kill everything immediately.
AI doesn't have spot removal or Damnation. Sometimes it's better lucky than good. I play a turn 5 Natural Order, Progenitus swings twice and that's game boys.
juzamjedi
Tester

Postby jatill » 06 Aug 2010, 12:22

It's August 5th, is this tournament ever going to end?
jatill
DEVELOPER

Postby aww1979 » 06 Aug 2010, 19:44

I don't know :p Nobody seems to want to report the finals, and I'm still waiting on my custom deckeditor to finish (it's been like 3 days!) to play the consolation match.
aww1979
Tester

Postby aww1979 » 06 Aug 2010, 20:46

Please report your games by the end of the 7th. I'll declare the winners after that.
aww1979
Tester

Postby aww1979 » 07 Aug 2010, 05:47

I didn't want to play my consolation match while my2000 was updating my stuff, in case it wrecked it somehow, and FINALLY it finished, so here we go:

Consolation Match:

Yggdrasil vs Monopoman AI 2-0 (yggdrasil +2 pts)
Monopoman vs Yggdrasil AI 2-0 (monopoman +2 pts)

Yggdrasil vs Monopoman AI:
Game 1: Two early Blightning strip away a lot of cards, but AI still manages a turn 4 Natural Order. I use Damnation in hand to kill Proggy, thankfully topdecking the 2nd black mana I needed. I get THREE Bitterblossom out, and AI gets Coiling Oracle and a lot of land, and faeries win. 1-0
Game 2: Mulled to 6 due to one land and get a very nice six card hand. AI misses turn 1 land drop and turn 2 plays Seaside Citadel (triple lands usually cause AI to do that) and then I hymn its only other starting land. My Vampire Nighthawk is farmed, and I'm out of creatures; it's all removal in hand. AI brainstorms up a land, and I topdeck Bitterblossom. I Terminate Werebear and topdeck another bitterblossom. I get a Vampire Nighthawk and AI casts nothing the rest of the game. 2-0

Monopoman vs Yggdrasil AI:
Game 1: I keep a one land hand with two brainstorm, ponder, force of will, nimble mongoose, plowshares, and coiling oracle. I set up Ponder to draw a land and put another land 3rd for the oracle to hit next turn. Turn 2 I play oracle and the mongoose with the free land. Ponder #2 sets up Oracle #2. Plowshares and combat trading kill two Nezumis. AI tries to Hymn me and I FoW it. I Ponder AGAIN and find a mongoose (3/3!) and shuffle two lands back with a fetch. I start beating AI down; one oracle eats a bolt, and AI gets bitterblossom and I get tarmogoyf, but he's immediately terminated. AI plays an 8/8 Death's Shadow, which would really suck if I didn't have a plowshares in hand for it; as it is, I give AI a bunch of life back, but mongoose is still going. AI plays Vampire Nighthawk and Mongoose trades with it, and I play my topdecked Tarmogoyf. A second bitterblossom comes down. I topdeck Natural Order, swing for 4, and pull Proggy. Fetches and BB take at to 3, Faeries swing and I'm at 7, then AI damnations my proggy before I can attack. I draw tarmo, AI sacs a fetch at the end of my turn (2 life) and then dies during upkeep to 2x bitterblossom :p 1-0
Game 2: I plow Nezumi and get a mongoose, but AI gets a turn 2 bitterblossom, and despite clever fetchland/brainstorm tricks, I'm still getting mana flooded. I plow the first faerie to get my mongoose threshold, but my hand is now 4 lands (4 more in play) so I need spells asap. AI damnations, and I get a ponder and see FoW, NO, and Fact or Fiction. Shuffle? Uh... no. I take FoF, and AI makes FoW/NO in one pile and lands+Trygon Predator in the other. I take the first pile. Sadly, I'm *still* drawing nothing but lands. I topdeck a plow and kill a faerie, then topdeck a mongoose and NO for Progenitus. AI attacks and Damnations, and I have no blue cards to pitch to FoW and only 3 mana untapped, so proggy dies. I get Coiling Oracle and a plow next turn. I plow a token, attack for 1, and get thresholded Werebear. Werebear swings a couple times, then I ponder for natural order, get proggy, and have FoW in hand with 5 mana untapped. AI has no answer, not that it would have helped with my FoW. 2-0
aww1979
Tester

Postby monopoman » 07 Aug 2010, 09:00

Pretty sure unless like 3 people report me as massively winning the next few rounds I lose this one.

So I will just concede at this point nearly everyone has reported and from the looks of it I am down like 14 points.

I will be unable to report this round unfortunately sorry.
monopoman

Postby Cognis » 07 Aug 2010, 10:33

Actually, if I've didn't overlook any reports you're just down by 4 points. Maybe you overlooked my report which I gave before the finals started since I was going on vacation. You got 7 points out of it so it changes the situation significantly, hope it help, by my account you still have a shot :)
Cognis
Tester

Postby monopoman » 07 Aug 2010, 11:31

Okay I will do the rounds then I guess I can put off one thing until tomorrow.

Cognis (Human) vs. Juzamjedi:
Cognis wins 2-1

Game 1: The WG beats are far too strong backed up by removal I easily swing in for the win.
Game 2: This time Belcher destroys me just as I am starting to take over the game with my creatures.
Game 3: This time WG army does it again I see no Belcher I use removal to make unfavorable blocks as the AI slowly goes to 0.

Juzamjedi (Human) Vs. Cognis:
Juzamjedi wins 2-0

Game 1: I forestwalk all over his dudes and win the turn before WG army would swing in for the win.
Game 2: This time triple kicked Warcaller on turn 4 = GG in about 2 turns.

Monopoman (Human) Vs. Yggdrasil
Monopoman wins 2-1

Game 1: I have 3rd turn Order for Prog with Force backup needless to say the AI has no answer whatsoever. AI did empty my hand though at the end but Prog never left play so swing in twice and win.

Game 2: This time I don't get an early Order so I have to go the beatdown strategy. AI empties my hand fairly quick but I do have some creatures on the board. I get threshold later in the game and clear the way with a swords to put the AI down to 13. Unfortunately it is not enough Damnation enters the game at just the right moment one turn before I swing in for the win and I have no counter.

Game 3: This time I again and forced to go beatdown seeing 0 natural orders early on. We go back and forth throwing removal both sides and he making me discard cards. I seem to have him on the ropes at 1 life while im at 14 he empties my hand then proceeds to go up to 3. But unfortunatly my Werebear+Tarmo finish him off.

Yggdrasil (Human) Vs. Monopoman
Yggdrasil wins 2-0

Game 1: I am forced to Mulligan to 6 to get a 2 land hand that is very mediocre. I get double Bitterblossom early on and start making the faerie army. Demigod comes down to join the ridiculous 1/1 army I have and I start to swing in. AI does absolutely nothing that matters.

Game 2: This game AI puts up a better fight as I don't have much going on besides a Nezumi. We go back and forth a bit with removal and creature trading going both ways AI removes my only creature at a certain point and starts beating me down with Tarmo+Oracle. I have no sweeper in hand. The turn before I am about to die I topdeck Demigod of Revenge and win the game.

Well that puts me back even further :P yeah my deck was not prepared for that much removal/discard.
monopoman

Postby aww1979 » 07 Aug 2010, 18:27

The current scores I have are:

FINAL: Cognis 19 vs Juzamjedi 12
CONSOLATION: Yggdrasil 21 vs Monopoman 16
8 players have reported (out of 12)

Today is also the last day to report, as I want this done before Jatill's tournament starts.
aww1979
Tester

Postby aww1979 » 08 Aug 2010, 08:31

No further reports have been received, and Jatill's tournament begins tomorrow, so here are the results for July:

1st place WINNER - Cognis - 2 cards
2nd place - Juzamjedi - 1 card
3rd place - Yggdrasil - 1 card
Voted most fun deck - Shantak - 1 card (he had 3 votes, nobody else had more than 1)

Thanks all for playing!
aww1979
Tester

Postby Cognis » 08 Aug 2010, 16:04

Boy, this was a long tournament, I think we finished round one like three weeks ago, I thought the tournament would be over before the end of the month and the finals alone lasted for over two weeks. Anyway I'm happy I won, the deck is really simple but has good utility creatures and is even quite fast. The cards I would like are:

Akroma, Angel of Fury
Rotlung Reanimator
Scion of Darkness
Dark Supplicant
Akroma's Vengeance

The cards are ordered in preference so if some can't be codded just skip them although Akroma would fit quite well in an EDH deck I have.
Cognis
Tester

Postby Shantak » 08 Aug 2010, 17:39

This was a fun tournament - the league structure worked nicely, I think. And thanks for those deeming my deck the most fun. I don't think I had funniness in mind when I designed it, it was more like that I studied Legacy archtypes and tried to find one AI could somewhat play. Luckily there were enough pieces fitting together making it a fun play (Bloodghasts, Crucible of Worlds, others...).

The card I would like most, like mentioned in another thread, is:

Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind

After Niv, if he's impossible, I might want Kiln Fiend or Wee Dragonauts.
Shantak

Postby Yggdrasil » 09 Aug 2010, 07:14

Congratulations Cognis (and also Juzamjedi and Shantak).
I hadn't a lot of time to play in july and the situation will be worst in august, so I'll probably have a break.

For the third place prize, I hesitate between several cards. Since the score was very tight, I let Monopoman chose the card he prefers between those three :
Oona's Blackguard
Ashling, the Extinguisher
Augury Adept
Yggdrasil

Postby monopoman » 10 Aug 2010, 00:41

Well thanks for asking for my opinion, between those 3 cards I like Augury Adept the most I am not sure how many Rogues are there to support the other card. Ashling is a nice card overall but I like Augury Adept a bit more.
monopoman

Postby aww1979 » 10 Aug 2010, 05:08

I think the only rogues in manalink are Bitterblossom tokens.
aww1979
Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Tournaments